Fitting a valve to a drybag

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gecko76

Fitting a valve to a drybag

Post by gecko76 »

Sorry if this has been done before, but stuffing a sleeping bag into a handlebar drybag, how do you not trap air? I'm thinking of fitting a one way valve, perhaps similar to that on my Vango aotrom mat (recommended btw), to let air out but keep water out.

Easily done? Any suggestions?
Dean

Re: Fitting a valve to a drybag

Post by Dean »

My sleeping bag has its own cylindrical dry bag, which is 5mm narrower in diameter than my handlebar drybag. Slides straight in and leaves much more room for other items than if it was stuffed by itself.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I think its the sea to summit range that have the base made of eVent. So after stuffing it you can squish the air out of the waterproof but air permeable material. Takes a bit of orientation of how you hold the bag so the air can escape from the bottom. But I find it to work well and I now how 2 bags...
ripio

Post by ripio »

gecko76 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:52 pm Sorry if this has been done before, but stuffing a sleeping bag into a handlebar drybag, how do you not trap air? I'm thinking of fitting a one way valve, perhaps similar to that on my Vango aotrom mat (recommended btw), to let air out but keep water out.

Just squeeze the air out by starting to roll the bag at the same time as compressing it, been doing it that way for years with no valve, no problem.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

It's probably not as much of a problem as I'm making out, just a frustration really. The drybag is a podsacs one from Planet-X and impressively tough. The winter bag is a Rab 700 Ascent and very warm, and it does fit, just.
The trick is getting the drybag to roll down as much as possible to fit between the drop bars, otherwise changing gear becomes tricky. If I can get all the air out it's fine but can only seem to manage that with a bare arm and careful stuffing, which is OK at home but not so much on a cold morning in the woods. I've always avoided rolling sleeping bags because it can stress the stitching.

A simple valve would make it easier and quicker to stuff, but it's probably not really an issue. My original thought was a presta valve, but that would be vulnerable to knocks.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Just start the roll of the closure, say one turn, then with the bag upright, lean your weight on the top and you will find the air will be forced out. Once it's compressed, quickly pull up on the closure buckles and roll down a couple more turns.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Yeah it might just be a matter of technique. Problem of the down compressing and trapping air can probably be sorted by going slower, but a valve would make it better. This looks ideal, but they don't ship to the UK.
https://www.adventurexpert.com/product/ ... tpu-valve/
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

gecko76 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:52 pm Sorry if this has been done before, but stuffing a sleeping bag into a handlebar drybag, how do you not trap air? I'm thinking of fitting a one way valve, perhaps similar to that on my Vango aotrom mat (recommended btw), to let air out but keep water out.

Hey Gecko,

Perhaps these would do the trick?

One-way Degassing PE Valve 33p each.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114316610786 ... lnEALw_wcB
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Thanks. I did wonder about those. Not sure of the best way to fit one but will order a few and have a think.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ripio wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:26 am Just start the roll of the closure, say one turn, then with the bag upright, lean your weight on the top and you will find the air will be forced out. Once it's compressed, quickly pull up on the closure buckles and roll down a couple more turns.
This ^^^

My riding buddy saw me do that, on a trip, and swore - because it hadn't occurred to him, before.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Shaff's suggestion of the event-ended stuff sacs by Sea 2 Summit is a good one, IMO. They sold loads off in the old whitey-grey / yellow colour scheme but seem to have refreshed the colour schemes:

https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/ ... c-dry-bag/

Nae cheap but effective and you don't end up with a valve, which just seems like an unnecessary encumbrance. Then again I get the impression you quite want to fit something so, if that's the case, have fun and post the results :grin:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Success, after a fashion. Emailed adventureexpert.com and got a speedy reply from Kajo in Slovenia confirming no UK sales but suggesting Etsy (no joy) and ebay (neither), so decided to take a punt on one of these, which turned out to be massive
but after a bit of work with a Swiss army knife and the addition of a couple of those valves pointed out by dlovett
then a bit more cutting
and finally a bit of stormsure to make sure
it works quite nicely. You can hear the air being squeezed out of the bottom, but it should keep any water out. Overall pleased, though I'm still surprised those valves aren't more widely available. I think Silva use them on their bags.
ootini

Post by ootini »

If you're ever looking for a valve again, try looking for a scuba diving shop / dry suit shop... a cuff dump or shoulder dump would do what you're after.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Ah, good to know, thanks.