Clips for tarp guys?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Clips for tarp guys?

Post by thenorthwind »

One of the nice things about a tarp is the flexibility to pitch it differently depending on the situation, walls/trees/bikes/whatever to attach it to, etc. so I take a couple of long guy lines a few shorter ones with me. Untying and retying them to different tie-outs is a bit of faff, particularly when tired and it's blowing a hoolie so I want to use some clips to make moving them around quicker and easier. I've nicked some of these off my packraft bow bag*:
Does anyone else do something like this, and if so, star do you use?

*They seem a bit of an entrapment hazard to me, though they're OE from Alpacka, so wondering what I can replace them with too.
whitestone

Re: Clips for tarp guys?

Post by whitestone »

Learn to tie a Bowline :grin:

The Sheet Bend/Beckett Hitch (basically the same, it's just what it's tied to that changes the name) will also work and is dead easy to tie.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I knew someone would say that (though not that knot specifically), and it fits with your signature. Now I know, I'll have a go, cheers.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I’m pretty good at knots, used to take great pleasure in tying proper knots for either end of a guy line, particularly slippery or adjustable ones

These days I use line locs and mini carabiners (or similar), depending on the shelter.

It isn’t much weight, it’s a lot easier and quicker with wet, cold hands. I can still do the knots, just rarely bother
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:46 pm I knew someone would say that (though not that knot specifically), and it fits with your signature. Now I know, I'll have a go, cheers.
The Becket Hitch is dead easy (I'll assume you are right handed but swap if you aren't), the method below makes a "slippery" version that's easy to undo:

Put your left index finger across the loop that's attached to the tarp, leaving a small hole/loop beneath the finger.
Push a decent length of the line UP through the small hole.
Take the line over your finger and around the back of the tarp loop.
Hook the line with your left index finger and pull a bight of the line back under itself (but over the top of the tarp's loop), making sure that you don't pull the end of the line through. Ideally there's 10cm or more of the bight sticking out at both sides.
Now pull the standing end of the line, i.e. not the end you've been working with, to set the hitch.

When you want to remove it just pull on the end of the bight that you pulled in step 4.

One of those things that's easier to do than write out. Here's a video https://youtu.be/oWbNTggflvw but he(?) makes it look fiddlier than it is. Do a search for "Slippery Becket Hitch", here's another https://youtu.be/5gAlq1h-o9c

The Becket Hitch doesn't get used in climbing because it's best used when the line is under tension all the time, doesn't have to be constant but does need to be there. For camping/hammocking use it's fine.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry