Sleep system for the side sleepers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tallpaul

Sleep system for the side sleepers

Post by Tallpaul »

Hi all,
I’m planing my first bikepacking trip and am struggling to find a sleep system which is good for those who sleep on their side.
What does everybody use?
Rectangular sleeping bag, quilt or something else?
Any specific suggestions or general advice would be appreciated.
Happy trails :)
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sleep system for the side sleepers

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I too am a side sleeper and use quilts. I find the US brands are often a little wider so well suited.

Mr Climber swears by the Sierra Designs Backcountry bed for side sleepers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Side/foetal position sleeper here. I'm 1m80 & 85kg and the original style of Cumulus quilt is "just" too narrow and I have to get myself "set" prior to nodding off. I believe that the current style is wider but haven't tried one to confirm.

The US manufacturers list "girth" which is really just width times two but makes more sense (to me at least). Enlightened Equipment have a sizing guide that is worth looking at. The main problem with ordering from them, or any other US maker, is the cost to which you need to add shipping and then duty and VAT.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Enlightened are available in the UK at Valley and Peak.
May the bridges you burn light your way
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I’m a side sleeper and have the enlightened revelation, it’s great - wide enough that I don’t get a draughty back (which I did with the cumulus comforter I used before it).
Tallpaul

Post by Tallpaul »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:50 pm I too am a side sleeper and use quilts. I find the US brands are often a little wider so well suited.

Sierra Designs looks good but it’s 1.3kg (large) looks like a quilt is the way to go.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cumulus or thermorest quilt plus full length mat (neoair) for me - like being in bed!
As Whitestone notes, new cumulus quilts are plenty wide and good for me length wise at 6'1"
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Tallpaul wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:46 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:50 pm I too am a side sleeper and use quilts. I find the US brands are often a little wider so well suited.

Sierra Designs looks good but it’s 1.3kg (large) looks like a quilt is the way to go.
Been there with quilts, too many cold back drafts waking me up when I move around in bed,
I'd rather cut back on other luxuries (beer, tea making stuff) and carry this bit of extra weight to get a really good nights sleep than not sleep well to save a few grams.

Here's my post quilt life review, for the best nights sleep with a thick air mattress too

https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... untry-bed/

And the excellent bivi bag to suit it
https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... try-bivvy/

Not cheap but for a great nights sleep all 3 in this kit are worth every penny on over the stuff I've used before.
Last edited by JohnClimber on Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I often sleep in, or have my down jacket over my top half, with just the half open sleeping bag over my chest down. Can't stand having my arms confined

Now I have a quilt I usually have that up to my arm pits with down jacket either on or draped over my top.

Boab

Post by Boab »

While I like being wrapped up like I'm in a cocoon, I dislike the constriction that a sleeping bag brings, so I have a Thermarest Vesper 32 UL down quilt that I use with my Exped DownMat Lite 5 M. I generally start out on my back, then wriggle around onto my side, then back onto my back, then side, etc, etc. I do have to take care when rolling over onto my side not to expose my back, and sometime I do have to do a bit of manual manoeuvring of the quilt to ensure I'm draught free; this is really only an issue in winter, as the quilt isn't quite warm enough for that kind of usage for me. I think if I paired it with an Thermarest NeoAir mat and used the strap it comes with to hold it to the mat, I might get on a bit better. I suppose what I'm saying, is make sure you pick a mat and quilt / bag that are compatible with how you sleep (and what you sleep in / under), rather than random items based on cost or fancy.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

The Enlightened quilts (and Cumulus) have straps that attach to the quilt which then go round your sleep mat.

As long as I have the straps on, I never have an issue with a cold/draughty back.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

rudedog wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm The Enlightened quilts (and Cumulus) have straps that attach to the quilt which then go round your sleep mat.

As long as I have the straps on, I never have an issue with a cold/draughty back.
Used the straps, still had the drafts
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Draughts aside (which is what puts me off quilts) the biggest issue that I find, with side sleeping, is lying on my arm and getting pins & needles.
The solution that I've arrived at, is to cross my arms and hold opposite shoulders - a bit like Dracula, in his coffin - as it keeps things in a more comfortable position.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:11 pm
rudedog wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm The Enlightened quilts (and Cumulus) have straps that attach to the quilt which then go round your sleep mat.

What quilt were you using?
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

https://youtu.be/mHznRpNJpxU

I use the loop strap with the upper clips on the quilt

I've never had an issue with draughts using the strap like this.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Side sleeper and wriggler. I just use a sleeping bag and a decent mat (neoair). Its not quite like being in bed at home, but its fine.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

rudedog wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 pm

Cumulus 250 and 450
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:06 pm
rudedog wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 pm

Cumulus 250 and 450
I had bother with a cumulus down comforter and draughts but it was very narrow (110cm) and used the old lace style attachment system, can’t comment on the ones you’ve tried.
Tallpaul

Post by Tallpaul »

Thanks all for the info.
I’ve decided to go for the Therm-a-rest Neo air xlite and the Therm-a-rest corus 20 quilt.
Should be fine for sleeping out end of May