Viz top tip

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Viz top tip

Post by JohnClimber »

VIZ TOP TIP.
Avoid having to wrap your tongue around the unpronounceable Welsh equivalent of Brecon Beacons by never going there again.
RIP

Re: Viz top tip

Post by RIP »

I think it's more a case of the English equivalent of Bannau Brycheiniog being "Brecon Beacons", John :smile: . Maybe Welsh people find that unpronounceable :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

What were they saying back in the 70s? ' Come home to a real fire, buy a cottage in Wales ' :shock:

(Sorry, for the younger ones, there was a spate of English holiday homes in Wales being set fire to by Welsh nationalists back then).

Still, if the majority follow Viz's advice then the hills around Brecon and indeed Snowdonia for that matter should be much quieter :cool:
I, like Reg I would imagine, grew up enjoying the fine advice to be read in Viz by the way and view the world through satirically-tinted glasses :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:19 am fine advice to be read in Viz
Yes indeedy. At one place I worked we ordered a regular copy, addressed to the company office. I had it on my team's tea-party table (*) for anyone to read. Most of us ended up with a Viz character nickname eventually. Mine has, er, slipped my memory for the moment.

(*) tea-party table: another story altogether..
Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On a serious note (how unusual) I don't think it'll make the slightest bit of difference. The vast majority will continue to call it the Brecon Beacons regardless. I'm all for the Welsh language and its use but this smacks of a woke exercise in re-branding / money wasting. I'm sure the NP could have spent their budget much better than paying someone to remove the flames from their logo.

May the bridges you burn light your way
JackT

Post by JackT »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:53 am On a serious note (how unusual) I don't think it'll make the slightest bit of difference. The vast majority will continue to call it the Brecon Beacons regardless. I'm all for the Welsh language and its use but this smacks of a woke exercise in re-branding / money wasting. I'm sure the NP could have spent their budget much better than paying someone to remove the flames from their logo.
Why not just chalk it up as a win for all the #nofires #leavenotrace discussions on this forum?

Or a case of historical accuracy - there's no evidence of signal fires ever being lit round here. For those you need to go to the south coast of England and the innumerable 'beacon hills'.

And on the name, here's John Leland, writing in the 1530s. Looks like the new name is in fact the original one.
342050175_233922842640219_2620195173627744441_n.jpg
342050175_233922842640219_2620195173627744441_n.jpg (121.15 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Why not just chalk it up as a win for all the #nofires #leavenotrace discussions on this forum?
:grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:32 am
:grin:
Yep, touche :grin:

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

this smacks of a woke exercise in re-branding
I don't think calling a place in Wales by its( or a ) Welsh name rather than an English ( imperialist ?) one is woke unless you think England gets to name the world. I don't see what the problem is tbh.
Apparently the English snowflakes don't seem to like the Welsh deciding what their places are called despite being all for the Welsh language.

Post is a mixture of well meant sarcasm and a genuine point.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Personally I struggle with getting my head and tongue around Welsh language and Scottish Celtic place names, but that's my problem and doesn't stop me trying to enjoy them.

I do get odd looks when trying to explain that I have travelled from one place I can't pronounce to another via a third. I do try but sometimes it beats me
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:54 am
I don't think calling a place in Wales by its( or a ) Welsh name rather than an English ( imperialist ?) one is woke unless you think England gets to name the world. I don't see what the problem is tbh.
Apparently the English snowflakes don't seem to like the Welsh deciding what their places are called despite being all for the Welsh language.

Did he mean the removal of the fires / beacons aspect, I think there was mention somewhere of fires not being very green as an influence in the decision which did seem a bit odd. No idea where that came from or whether it was really an influence. More likely Jack's point that they weren't used there anyway?
JackT

Post by JackT »

jameso wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:26 am
Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:54 am

Did he mean the removal of the fires / beacons aspect, I think there was mention somewhere of fires not being very green as an influence in the decision which did seem a bit odd. No idea where that came from or whether it was really an influence. More likely Jack's point that they weren't used there anyway?

I suspect that removing the fire is more about the shift away from the use of "beacons". Bannau means peaks. Brycheiniog is a geographic term relating to the lands of King Brychan. What used to be Brecknockshire in English, and which covers a wider area than the town of Brecon or the hills around Pen y Fan.

I've not got any more info than what's been put out by the Park, but there's been mention of the rebranding being part a wider policy shift toward more sustainable management. Who knows how much of that will come to pass. Without the flames, the fire beacon motif in the new logo looks to me a bit like a 'keep out' fence, not really in line with widening access!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My point .... I live in a very Welsh area. Welsh is first language and as p1ss poor as I am at it, I try my best and certainly don't resent doing so;o) However, as much as this exercise is well meant, I tend to think that it's largely futile as most people will simply continue to refer to the area as the Brecon Beacons. Had changing the name cost nothing, then why not but I'd hazard a guess that the entire exercise has likely cost thousands (many) which I'm confident could have been spent much better but maybe I'm just a cynical tw@t :-bd
JackT

Post by JackT »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:52 am My point .... I live in a very Welsh area. Welsh is first language and as p1ss poor as I am at it, I try my best and certainly don't resent doing so;o) However, as much as this exercise is well meant, I tend to think that it's largely futile as most people will simply continue to refer to the area as the Brecon Beacons. Had changing the name cost nothing, then why not but I'd hazard a guess that the entire exercise has likely cost thousands (many) which I'm confident could have been spent much better but maybe I'm just a cynical tw@t :-bd
Taken individually, each decision that increases the prominence of the Welsh language in Wales can be queried on cost grounds. But taken together each one is part of a very long term policy of bilingualism, which I think is admirable. Given the centrality of the Welsh language to the historic survival and current resurgence of the idea of Wales as a nation rather than a region of England-and-Wales, maybe it's easier to regard the cost as justified.

The Brecon Beacons / Bannau Brycheiniog change won't occur overnight (and nobody is going to give anyone a hard time for using whatever name they want) but as more non-Welsh speaking people become aware of the Welsh language and have a crack at learning and using it, who knows? In 30 years time it may have bedded in. There's no doubt that there was bit of not wanting to be left out following the changes up north (with precedence given to Eryri and Yr Wyddfa over Snowdonia and Snowdon) and the - mostly positive I think - publicity that this has garnered. At least in Wales, which is, after all, where the voters that elect the Welsh Government live.
errol

Post by errol »

Is anyone really that bothered?

There are bigger issues in the world to be concerned with!

Move along..........

As noted perhaps the NP could have put the rebranding budget to better use such as enforcing the crap parking by visitors at Storey Arms?
RIP

Post by RIP »

errol wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:31 pm Storey Arms
Ah yes, Breichiau Llawr you mean :wink: :grin:

This is turning into one of Those Threads; most enjoyable on a quiet afternoon :-bd .

Can anyone spot the hidden panda in this picture?

Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

errol

Post by errol »

most enjoyable on a quiet afternoon :-bd

Quiet here too!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I think there's great value in a lingua franca between the (quite arbitrary) components of the UK.

Not going anywhere with that really :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You can say that about anything that is not a war or genocide including everyone on here having all their bikes stolen.
psling

Post by psling »

errol wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:31 pm ... perhaps the NP could have put the rebranding budget to better use such as enforcing the crap parking by visitors at Storey Arms?
Have you been up there recently? :wink: The National Trust are building a new car park and toilet facilities at Pont ar Daf just next to Storey Arms Centre with about 200 parking spaces but... there's always a but, isn't there!... from 1st May there will be a £7.50 parking charge so I imagine the roadsides and laybys will still be full of vehicles while the car park remains half empty :roll:

Ond eto, mae o leiaf rhywfaint o gynnydd yn cael ei wneud ac arian yn cael ei wario ar y broblem :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:16 pm
You can say that about anything that is not a war or genocide including everyone on here having all their bikes stolen.
Sigh :roll:

C'mon :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:26 pm
Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:16 pm
Sigh :roll:

C'mon :cool:
Yes, nearly got me there for a moment. I thought everyone had had their bikes nicked in some freak coordinated robbery but twigged it quickly luckily. But am still coming back down from the mental leap to genocide though. I'm mildly confused, are we being allowed to say that wars and genocide are the only items not included in the list of things that are bigger issues than renaming the Beacons, ie those two are, logically, smaller issues? I think I'd take exception to that to be honest.

Anyone found the panda yet?

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I just find the "worse things happens" something you can always say, to anything, unless its as extreme as the two things I stated. I could have used the zombie apocalypse and thermonuclear war but doubt that would have met with universal approval/understanding either [ and the two I mentioned are happening currently ]
I dont have much confidence this post will lead to clarity, or help much, but that is the intention.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah but what about things that happen at sea? /:)