Who actually uses a guide book…?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Who actually uses a guide book…?

Post by voodoo_simon »

To quote Stu from the latest email
Everyone enjoys a guidebook - even those who only look at the pictures
, who actually uses routes from guide books?

I have book shelves full of guide books and I’m really struggling to think of a time I’ve used a route from them! I’ve used several routes in Chamonix whilst walking but don’t think I’ve ever followed a full route in the UK.

I tend to see guide books as two fold, light reading of an evening and a source of inspiration, so I may visit some of the places or mix two routes together, but never follow a full route

A lad I follow in the ‘gram has just done a nice route not far from me, asked him about the route and he says it’s from the lost lane series. Have three of those books on my shelf, so maybe it’s time I start following them :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Who actually uses a guide book…?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think for many, guidebooks are something to take ideas and inspiration from rather than simply follow blindly. However, I reckon there\s plenty of folk who do like to have a definite 'hand-rail'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Pre internet pretty sure we all did these days I just use the internet for the guides
Following a pre defined route ,by someone who knows the area , just makes sense to me and is not what I call a hand rail
IMHO its unwise for me , who barley knows the highlands, to plan a route for the gravel bike when the pictish trail has been done by locals who have tested it.

I am not saying one should never ever just turn that way and see where it goes , but when I have limited holidays and free time i would much rather ride a known route than "see what happens"
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

nd is not what I call a hand rail
Wasn't meant as an insult.

Everyone enjoys a guidebook
I have book shelves full of guide books
Perhaps one proves the other :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I did not take it as one [ though on reflection it fair term , sorry] its just sometimes local knowledge is a good thing [ unless its you planning the route :wink: ]
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Guide books (I think) are probably a really good idea foe the kids. My little one (the other day) said when he grows up he'll be riding harder and farther (further?) than me. Hopefully, and finally, a partner in the making as my daughter doesn't really like riding her bike and the 17 year old never really bothered using his Cannondale for more than a few outings.

Yesterday (or the day before) I let him buy his very first mtb mag. Just the cheap/rubbish stuff that's on the shelves at Asda at an eye watering £6.50. But it came with a trails guide book and hopefully it's something that he'll take proper ownership of.

Guidebooks for me (pardon my french) are just (a bit) crap. As you end up using a route and realise it's not been trodden for ages and ages. So end up being frustrated at what should've (well, expected to have) been a well worn and regularly used mtb loop :o Though good training for the BB200, I find it more exciting to just explore the sections in OS maps and see what comes up.

Recently I found a named trail near Darwen/Blackburn and couldn't quite get the loop right (away from main roads/heavy traffic at the northern end). A quick google and I managed to download my very own Sunnyhurst Wood & Wayoh Res loop which I believe takes in Jubilee Tower. Can't help think that the sections around the reservoirs will be a bit painstakingly pedestrianised though so might make a little ammendment when I get the chance. :-bd

'Guide rails', very good description and something many times needed. Good poem in the newsletter too Stu. Pity all the tshirts in the shop are all cotton and none bamboo?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Keep all those type of books next to the upstairs lav. Depending on the duration of visit, will skim a page or two whilst taking easement, so are fairly useful in that respect.

Re routes, I don't think I've ever followed a "pre set" or "named" one. I enjoy poring over maps and exploring too much myself, and don't want the inflexibility of a "route". Got a rather over-inflated streak of independence and freedom too, one of many failings. Far too many guide books are also simply strings of rather uninspiring "I turned left at the barn, right at the dead badger, etc", no stories or amusing occurrences.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I devoured all the ones from the '80's and 90's (Jeremy Ashcroft, Timothy King, Frances Flemming spring to mind) and did a fair few of the routes therein but as you get to know the areas in question then there is no need by and large....
Interweb provides more info (particularly this place) so as per Reg, toilet reads only for me.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Generally use them for inspiration for routes and many are an enjoyable read in themselves, like Lost Lanes. I rarely, if ever, follow a preset route, but i've used mtb guides a couple of times to do specific loops when time has been short and I wanted to do a nice route somewhere I didn't know at the time, without having to do my own route planning. On those occasions they were quite well known mtb routes and it was a useful guide and trustworthy. Think it was the Black Mountains killer loop from Tom Hutton's Wales Mountain biking book (which is excellent). Definitely consider them a planning tool and not a navigational one though, still use my own OS maps to navigate.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I like them, I especially like the trad format. As much as I like making my own routes there's times when the work of others grab my attention. The Camino, GR5, then the GDMTBR. The Lost Lanes series are a current favourite.

Somehow online routes rarely have the content depth to inspire? There's exceptions, Montanas Vacias as an obvious example of someone putting creative heart and soul into a route. At some point you think, if it inspires them so much I want to go and see that area.

One of the first things I did after moving back to this area was look up an old MTB guidebook I had from back in the day, plus a current long distance route (Cotswolds 200) as a way of getting a feel for the area again.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Climber. I have many guidebooks. They've all been used. Extensively.

As a cyclist, less of them.

Runner, I've used routes, but mainly when running abroad with time-bound constraints.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Greg, I think climbing guides are a bit different in that having an indication of whether a particular line or route is within your ability and therefore enjoyment, safety, etc. tends to be quite important. There's a world of difference between Great Wall, Midsummer Night's Dream and Indian Face for example even though they are all on the same bit of rock. Heck there's a big difference between Great Wall and Spreadeagle even though those two are give the same difficulty grade. I've probably got 6 metres of bookshelves with climbing guides, various editions of several, especially the Lakes and N. Wales.

We've "most" of the Crowood and Vertebrate MTB guides. Decent enough for an introduction to an area but on occasion when you do know an area you wonder why they describe the loop in that particular direction when it rides better the other way (or is that the MTBR pullout guides? :lol: ) Really all you need is an indication of whether a BW/track is:

a) rideable, if so what level of difficulty
b) whether it's prone to being muddy, etc and so should be avoided in certain conditions/seasons.

For the latter, a horse riding friend has the BWs on the local maps highlighted in green, orange or red according to their suitability for her horses.

Running guidebooks seem a new thing, I don't remember seeing them much beyond a handful of years ago, the Ron Turnbull guides being an exception.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

There was a series by bikefax during my teenage years like that Bob on north wales, seemed to direction the route the wrong way, could only be ridden in perfect weather etc. Gave up looking at them

My dad used to have a red book on Lake District walks when I was young (think 7 or 8) and I’m sure the whole family would cry when he got it out on holidays (pardon the pun!), either my dad couldn’t read or the author couldn’t write directions :lol: Happy days or maybe not…
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:00 pm book on Lake District walks
Straying into Wainwright territory here of course :smile: . We had a full set in the early 70s for family hols. But I'd argue they'd also stand up in a gallery as works of art, in the same way as OS maps do.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just went in the shed. Found a bag/box that needed lots of stuff throwing out (without the wife seeing as it's all 'stuff to treasure'). Obviously chucked most of the stuff out and hid it under the oizza box in the revycle bin.

But, found a Singletrack mag that I'd been saving for another day. Probably 10 years old and pre me finding this here forum. Found a route (which is probably what I'd saved the mag for as there's no obvious bikepacking content). Up in Skipton, a 38 miler.

Very excited... Might transcribe it into my routes and see how much is tussocked.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RIP wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:28 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:00 pm book on Lake District walks
Straying into Wainwright territory here of course :smile: . We had a full set in the early 70s for family hols. But I'd argue they'd also stand up in a gallery as works of art, in the same way as OS maps do.
If you like hand drawn maps (and who doesn’t), these are worth looking at/buying
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/JeremyAshcroftMaps

Go nice in a frame (and make lovely presents too)

Strangely don’t own a wainwright book, not quite sure what to think of him!
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I’m no good at following routes because I like to spontaneously deviate or change my mind. I could never do an ITT for that reason… so guide books are kind of something to look at when planning a route to get a general idea of what’s out there or for a bit of inspiration to get going.

Not about cycling but there is a one guide book I am really enjoying though; which is this one https://www.cicerone.co.uk/the-mountain ... ol-1-wales

I was never keen on peak bagging but this is a great little book and a good way of making sure I visit nearly every corner of upland Wales… some of them by bike and some on foot.
JackT

Post by JackT »

I'm a fan of the general guidebook, if it's a good one.

I like the Pallas series, now out of print: https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/series/pallas-guides

I also like the Real series, published by Seren Books. They tend to be a bit left field but have a lot stuff that I probably wouldn't know or discover out for myself: https://www.serenbooks.com/shop/the-real-series

The Landscapes of the Imagination series is also good, and has a strong cultural / literature / historical slant, but also plenty about the landscape itself: https://www.stanfords.co.uk/Landscapes- ... SI00001040

These are the kinds of books I use to read myself into a place before I go, to get me excited and give me ideas for places I want to visit. I prefer to devise the actual routes for myself.

In the 1990s I used the cycle touring day rides books by Nick Cotton. In some ways Lost Lanes was an attempt to update and improve on that format.

My favourite cycling guidebook describes itself as an "anti-guidebook". It doesn't actually contain any actual routes, rather it lays out a method for landscape exploration by bike and urges readers to do it for themselves. It's called "English Country Lanes" and written by Gareth Lovett-Jones. I highly recommend it if you can find a copy.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks for that tip-off Jack. Just spotted a second-hand copy for a few quid.

"The emphasis throughout is on exploring by bicycle - 'pootling' in the words of the author - and the book rejects the stance of conventional guide books, which lead the reader passively by the hand, and replaces it with an exhortation to pioneering independence".

Pioneering independence, excellent. I do like a bit of pootling too, lovely word.

faustus

Post by faustus »

JackT wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:33 am
My favourite cycling guidebook describes itself as an "anti-guidebook". It doesn't actually contain any actual routes, rather it lays out a method for landscape exploration by bike and urges readers to do it for themselves. It's called "English Country Lanes" and written by Gareth Lovett-Jones. I highly recommend it if you can find a copy.
I got this tip a couple of years ago when I got a copy of Lost Lanes North, and managed to get a copy then. Really great book, you'll enjoy it Reg!

I like the look of the Seren guides and the Landscapes of the Imagination series, more good tips!
psling

Post by psling »

I love guide books. Well, good ones anyway.

As a tool for research if visiting an area, as a guide to an area, even just as something to flick through and let my mind wander.
One of my earlier ones (and still a favourite) is Mountain Bike Guide Mid-Wales & The Marches by Jon Dixon, published by The Ernest Press. I have some of Jack's excellent guide books and even Dave B's darkside collections :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One of my earlier ones (and still a favourite) is Mountain Bike Guide Mid-Wales & The Marches by Jon Dixon
Mountain Bike Guide - Mid Wales by Pete Bursnall and also published by Ernest is similar but published earlier (1991) ... even contains a route that comes past the Towers. Worth tracking a copy down.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Righto, that’s my guide book virginity gone thanks to Jack :lol: Went and did his Bala route from the lost lane series today and it was spot on, 2 hrs 30 of back lanes and little traffic (swear I saw more motorcycles than bicycles than cars on the ride). Two steep climbs (one hit 18%) and two glorious descents.

I did question my life choices at one stage of the ride but that was soon over :lol:
Attachments
67AD611A-402C-4FCE-8E99-B3B0577C281D.jpeg
67AD611A-402C-4FCE-8E99-B3B0577C281D.jpeg (213.58 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That ^ reminds me of the Dec night we cycled up it. We hit it on the third night of a very cold, wet and windy trip. I recall there was Mike, Scott, Karl, Cat and myself. Half way up a pick-up stopped and offered Cat a lift to the top and ignored the rest of us ... happy to say she declined but I'd not have blamed her had she not :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

I did question my life choices at one stage of the ride but that was soon over
I love that road, it's worth the uphill slog section isn't it!