Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GoneCaving

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by GoneCaving »

After a zero for March, I was keen to get a bivvy in for April, and decent spin to boot. I'd been eying up St Declan's Way, a walking route from Cashel to Ardmor, for some time. So on Good Friday I got my darling wife to detour over to Cashel on her way to visit her mother, and drop me off mid-afternoon. As far as routes go, it softens you up with a load of country backroads for the first 40km. It's pleasant riding, and the section along the river at Cahir is particularly scenic. We then get to the Knockmealdown mountain range. The first off-road section is a very nice gravel climb up to the Liam Lynch memorial (a leading figure in the war of Independence).

After the climb there's a rough track back down onto the road, and on that section I met a Kiwi(?) bikepacker heading in the opposite direction, and a small deer caught between the two of us, and looking for an escape! Once back on the road, its more climbing and then back offroad, onto a really horrible section of hike a bike, on a dirty loose track. The walking guide suggests cyclists avoid this section, and while it was fun (type2) on a mountain bike (probably type 1 if you were not loaded down), it was rather a lot of pushing uphill.

(it got considerably worse after that bit!)

The downhill takes you through some nice forestry to a monastry at Mount Melleray, and then back on the road as far as Lismore, and a nice camping point (wot sign?) along the river. 70km down for day 1.

Up at dawn, and onwards to Ardmore. I'd stuffed up my planning by not realising that I wasn't going to hit civilisation until I got to Ardmore, and didn't really pack enough food to take me the rest of the 40km. There was a lot of off road in this section, mostly small farm tracks, wet, and churned up into a quagmire. Add in gates, narrow kissing gates, electric fences and more hike-a-bike for full on bikepacker bingo.So the 40km took far longer that I'd thought. Finally made it to Ardmore for a cheese toastie and a coffee.

And from there, main roads back to Dungarvan, and the very smooth, tarmaced and busy greenway to Waterford, road to Passage East, and the ferry to Arthurstown for a pint with the wife. 125km for day 2,
Last edited by GoneCaving on Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Very nice! That looks like a proper Rapunzel tower!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

A delayed, double post.

March BaM almost didn't happen until it did - a window of opportunity opened on the 31st so I set off straight from work at 12 on Friday into the wind and rain. Heading east from Huddersfield on various Sustrans routes to connect with TPT near Snaith. Then followed the TPT to the finish at Hornsea. Not the most enjoyable route but I've wanted to try it for a while. I also wanted to see how much I could be arsed to ride for 2 days in non-stop rain ahead of the Dales Divide the following weekend. I got my answer. Arrived in Hornsea soaked to the core despite wearing full waterproofs for 10 hours.

Ordered pizza and found the bowling club shelter I'd scoped on google maps. The carpark was full as there was a function in full swing in the opposite building. Not being in the mood to find another spot I just pulled the bench forward and tramped out, hoping nobody would notice. If they did, they didn't bother me.

The following day was better - No real rain and favorable winds. Still lots of mud on the bridleway's but a much more enjoyable route and ride. Breakfast in a cafe after a few hours

200 mile round trip - I think thats cycle-touring?

April BaM - Dales Divide, No rain!!

3 hours stopped in some woodland near Driffield after an 18 hour ride

Nice sunrise

and sunset

and pizza..

Another 18 hours to bothy of sorts near Castle Bolton. Had a great sleep here for a few hours

Then cruising to the finish across the Dales on the 3rd and final day

It's an absolute blessing to be able to do these things and I really try to not take it for granted :-)

BaM 2023 4/12 (16/16 consecutive)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Two more corking adventures (and photos!) from GC and John there. What I enjoyed was reading about places that aren't perhaps normally on our radar. Hornsea for example - back end of beyond and more interesting for that.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

Headed out last night to test the setup of the Scandal whilst fully loaded. Put pretty much every bag I own on and fill them with all sorts of stuff I wasn't going to use; looked like I was out for a week, rather than a single night. It did the job though, and I know now that I definitely need a new saddle, as neither of the ones I've got fit my arse in such an upright position. Also not convinced about these Nukeproof Neutron grips, maybe I just need to use more padded gloves/mitts though; might swap back to the Brand-X Mushroom's and see what happens.

It was good to be heading off road at night again, although I kept forgetting to put the light on the helmet. Would've been sensible to do that here for instance, while putting on more glove before heading down a sandy byway.

After just over three hours of riding, we arrived at our destination. It turned out to be slightly smaller and more compact than I remember, with just enough space to lie down. I remembered to let some of the air out of my mattress this time, so I woke up without my lower back in distress. It was much colder than expected when I woke up, and I'd already lost feeling in my left fingers before I'd even packed up. I got to a water tap, only to find it was broken, as I didn't have enough to get home, I decided I'd have to divert into Brandon and get some from Tesco / the BP garage.

Half way there, I remembered I had my water filter with me, but as I'd already put another two hydration tablets into the remainder of the water in the bladder, I didn't fancy drinking that till I got to a river. I sort of momentarily got lost in the maze of fire roads in Brandon Country Park, before remembering they have a tap, so I wouldn't have to go as far as the Tesco. By the time I made it there, I couldn't feel either hands, nor feet, and there was some impressive frost on the open heathland areas. Should've taken the lobster gloves, it wasn't like I didn't have the space... After filling up, it was off homewards, with whatever wiggle room I had before my first meeting of the day gone.

The byway down Deadman's Grave is one of my favourite, if I don't think about it too much, I could be in some far flung corner of the country on a proper adventure, rather than an hour and a half from the house. Props to the chap I meat at the other end, who was about to cycle up it on a Spech Allez with 25mm road tyres and two water bottles slung under his saddle, in a bottle cage seen normally on triathlon bikes. 🫡 After two hours of riding, I was starting to notice I was getting a bit tired and weaving around, I then realised that I hadn't eaten anything since six o'clock the previous evening, and this wasn't my usual fasted morning ride. So I started shovelling sustenance into my face, but the damage had been done and the legs had fallen off, so it was a straight line home, rather than waggling around some byways and bridleways.

I missed the fist meeting of the morning, and I'm not sorry. Lots to think about before the WRT...

https://www.strava.com/activities/8887912161
2023: 4 / 12
Total: 32
Streak: 4
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Lovely photos :-bd
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Great pics and BaM's from GC, JA & Boab :-bd , still yet to get out this month but have something in mind for my next days off :YMPRAY:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yes, great pics in recent posts, and all those bikepacking classics there...sunrises, sunsets, pizza, bus shelters, brekkies, power stations...love it :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Just managed to electrify my old Charge Cooker 3 hard tail with a tongsheng kit...
:grin:
And been sussing out a hammockable spot today. So hopefully I can get April done shortly without knocking myself out for a week. I'm assuming e-assist is not outside the rules :???:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Moder-dye wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:14 pm Just managed to electrify my old Charge Cooker 3 hard tail with a tongsheng kit...
:grin:
And been sussing out a hammockable spot today. So hopefully I can get April done shortly without knocking myself out for a week. I'm assuming e-assist is not outside the rules :???:
Don't think so (Reg!) but rocket assist would be better :grin:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I tried it in turbo mode (restriction turned off) to the nearest village shop and back. Normally takes me about 25 minutes, took me 14.5mi minutes and no sweat, so maybe it is rocket assist! :o

Not that I plan on using turbo generally and certainly not for long rides or any BAMers.

If it wasa problem I'd like to a apply for a blue badge please. It is for ongoing health reasons, not because I'm lazy :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Cannot see how it breaks the rules, its a bike you used it to get to a bivyy spot and you kipped out.
RIP

Post by RIP »

How could we resist :smile: . "It's a bike" :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

The badges are for "12 months in a row" of course, so whether those are finished in 2023 or 2024 isn't relevant. Phil's list of "Bivvy a Month 2023" contestants is a different game - no badge but lots of silly awards :-bd - but obviously one overlaps the other. Indeed 100% overlap if you start the badge in January. Y-yes, nurse, yes I promise I'll come quietly now...

Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Seems you misunderstood me Reg; Blue badge as in Disabled Badge :lol:

Special dispensation for e-assist :wink: I wasn't actually wanting a badge :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

No probs Moder, the judges aren't really into the mechanics of the ride in any case, just the stupid stuff people get up to :-bd .
And Reg kipped in his mates boat last month so he's one to talk about rules...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Moder-dye wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:03 pm Seems you misunderstood me Reg; Blue badge as in Disabled Badge :lol:
X_X :oops:

Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Verena wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:59 pm Yes, great pics in recent posts, and all those bikepacking classics there...sunrises, sunsets, pizza, bus shelters, brekkies, power stations...love it :-bd
If only we had a like button eh :lol:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Leerowe76 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:44 am
Verena wrote: [/b]91 user_id=5012]
Yes, great pics in recent posts, and all those bikepacking classics there...sunrises, sunsets, pizza, bus shelters, brekkies, power stations...love it :-bd
If only we had a like button eh :lol:
Then it would be facebook :roll:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

As I mentioned in my March BAM report, having recently explored some sections of the Speyside Way, I was keen to bikepack the ‘Moray Triangle’ (Speyside Way northeast to the Moray Firth; west on the Moray Coastal Trail; south on the Dava Way). I got it done last week, starting and finishing in Aviemore and covering a total of 146 mostly off-road miles by the end.

Day 1: After driving up from Edinburgh I didn’t get out on the trail until around 4.30 p.m so contented myself with reaching Grantown on Spey where I camped in the nearby Anagach woods.

ImageNight 1: Anagach Woods, Grantown On Spey by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Day 2: Grantown on Spey to Kingston on the Moray Firth coast.

ImageBlacksboat Station, Speyside Way by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageRiver Spey at Aberlour by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I spent the night in a disused military building next to the MoD live firing ranges. Definitely a favourite party venue for the local yoof by the look of it - the usual empty cans, broken bottles and the remains of a couple of fires.

ImageNight 2: Moray Coast by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageNight 2 Accommodation by Jimmy G, on Flickr

High winds and heavy rain made an appearance late on and the incessant banging of loose corrugated iron sheeting made it impossible to sleep. :sad: Mercifully, the wind eventually dropped around 3 a.m, the rain lessened a bit and I was finally able to get some sleep.

Day 3: Moray Coastal Trail through Roseisle Forest to Findhorn; then inland to Forres where I picked up the Dava Way.

ImageMoray Coast Trail by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageSingletrack, Moray Coast Trail by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Throughout the early part of the day I’d had a chilly southerly wind hitting my left side and when I eventually turned south it inevitably became a full on head wind.

ImageDava Way by Jimmy G, on Flickr

The Dava Way runs along the route of a former railway line. Once out of the cover of the trees and on to the wide open expanse of Dava Moor it becomes very exposed. There was a real sense of being in the middle of nowhere, despite the presence of the A940 road nearby at times.

ImageHalfway Hut, Dava Way by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageHalfway Hut, Dava Way by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I took the opportunity to gain some respite from the biting wind in the Halfway Hut, a pleasant little shelter completely renovated by volunteers some years ago.

The head wind and a couple of heavy showers had made progress slower than I’d hoped for and, rather than riding after dark to reach Aviemore, I decided to camp in Anagach woods again.

ImageNight 3: Anagach Woods again by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Day 4: It rained on and off during the night but my shaped tarp from Joe’s Shop did a sterling job. Fortunately, the rain had stopped by the time it came to pack up in the morning. For a change, I rode along the B970 road as far as Nethybridge, calling in at Castle Roy on the way. I then picked up the Speyside Way for the remainder of the ride back to the mother ship in Aviemore.

ImageCastle Roy by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageSpeyside Way approaching Aviemore by Jimmy G, on Flickr

That’s 4 from 4 and 64 consecutive BAMs.

* Tick count = 5, all but one of which were discovered once I got home. Seems it’s pretty much an occupational hazard these days and just a case of keeping an eye on the bite sites in case of any subsequent pronounced swelling/bullseye rash.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Excellent :-bd
I've had that triangle.on my list for years since I did my first bikepacking trip on the using the Deesside way and some of the northern Speyside way too long ago. Was thinking of Fortmartine way from Aberdeen to get to the Moray, and back to Aberdeen. Maybe I'll have to try to do it with a night or two paid accomodation for the ebike charging.

Planning to get my April BAM tonight as the weathers.so good...

Edit: or maybe not bike has just fallen over and broken the battery mount (fixable, but not instantly), bowels are playing up too, and the light has just blown in the shed (and no spare) :sad: Atleast the grass is cut and tea is made :roll: Cuppa time....
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Jimmy g that looks great :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye good trip Jimmy, really nice area for riding and plenty scope to throw some extra bits in too
:-bd
(Notes tin hut for future bivvy spot)
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:37 pm Aye good trip Jimmy, really nice area for riding and plenty scope to throw some extra bits in too
:-bd
(Notes tin hut for future bivvy spot)
Just make sure you check the wind forecast first Phil! :smile:
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Actually when I did my version I also had a brute of a headwind along the Dava way. I then compounded this by turning off along past Lochindorb and down to Carbridge, with a view to bagging some monadhliath bothies (which I failed to find so had to do the Burma road...) I had to pedal all the way down the hill on this road the wind was so bad!