Speedgoats Pt2 Cross Trainers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Speedgoats Pt2 Cross Trainers

Post by dlovett »

Thanks to some good advice on here and elsewhere I bought a pair of Speedgoat 5’s to complement my Hoka Clifton road shoes.

I have been wearing my Clifton’s in the gym and while they are great on the treadmill, they are a bit too cushioned for some of the cardio work I am doing and it has been pointed out how they are effecting some of my movements.

What is the general opinion on the perfect gym shoe assuming I am not going to run in them as I’ll wear the Clifton’s for the treadmill? Ideally Hoka would be good or if not something that would have the same internal foot fit as the Clifton/sg5’s but with a firmer less padded sole.

TIA

Duncan
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Speedgoats Pt2 Cross Trainers

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Something from Inov8, probably. As you've discovered maximal cushioning isn't great for gym work. Still, better than the fella I saw recwntly who was playing squash in Hokas. One way trip to borked ankles imo.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Surely a cheap pair of cross-training shoes would do? Not much to them really..
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've ended up getting a pair of Nike ones in the end as there were the only ones I could find locally that were designed for gym wear. The only shops locally are very running specific shoe wise, or the staff had no idea about the shoes they sold. Our local Nike is an factory outlet store and actually had somebody working there who knew his stuff, so I got last year's model for about a quarter of the price of this year's one.

So far so good, I've not got much better grip and movement when compared with gym work in my running Hoka's.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:32 pm Something from Inov8, probably. As you've discovered maximal cushioning isn't great for gym work. Still, better than the fella I saw recwntly who was playing squash in Hokas. One way trip to borked ankles imo.
Yes I was tempted by the 245's but nowhere locally sells them, all the shops have the trail inov8's but not the gym stuff. Wasn't too keen on buying a pair not knowing how they would be size wise on my feet.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Buy a couple of pairs on the credit card and return the ones that don't fit? It'll only cost postage once and, when you know a brand and their fit, it becomes a little easier.

Sadly though they then feck about with remodels almost every year / season and hence you see reviewers wailing about their favourite shoe being "ruined". Speedgoats and Hoka's in general were renowned for being a very unusual (narrow) fit for many years / model iterations. Not that they're unique in that respect.