Boot repairs - glue

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Boot repairs - glue

Post by fatbikephil »

So my second pair of Lake MXZ200 boots have failed (well one of them anyway) I Became aware of getting a damp right foot even after just walking through a couple of puddles. Doing a sink test there was an obvious leak through the waterproof membrane at one point near the cleat. I've no receipt for these as they were a replacement, Lake no longer make them and Moor and Large (importer) have gone TU. Given that I'll only use these boots in cold, wet weather, they are now pretty much useless....

I did think of slitting the lining open to try to get to the membrane but it would have been difficult given the leak is near the toe. So I pulled the sole off! This was ludicrously easy and there was evidence of muck underneath it so I suspect they would have fallen off as soon as I used them in hot weather, as per the first pair. The leather upper had already split away from plastic inner sole that the cleat attaches to, right where the leak is, and a bit more pealing back revealed the membrane and an obvious damaged bit. So I can now patch this but I'll then have to stick the boot back together.

So (finally!) any recommendations for a suitable glue? I guess I'll also have to figure out a way of clamping it all together....

Lazarus

Re: Boot repairs - glue

Post by Lazarus »

Shoe goo?

TBH i would take them to a cobbler
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I asked around for Shoe Goo last week and got just blank looks. I ended up at a cobblers who sold me some Kleb Fest which seemed to work. Probably the same actual glue.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

I stuck my Lake MX 237's back together with Shoegoo, which I got off Amazon. I might have some left, and if it hasn't gone off, I could possibly send it to you to try?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Tah
There doesn't appear to be a 'proper' cobbler round here - just a couple of chains advertising re-soling. Plenty good reviews of the shoe goo so may give it a whirl - it can't be any worse than the glue the factory used (which looks suspiciously like evo stick!)
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Another in favour of shoe goo here, I've always got a tube on the go as I tent to split the sides of my fell running shoes and my son scuffs his heels so plenty of patch jobs needed. Not sure it there's anything in this, but I think the black version is more hardwearing/flexible than the clear
Evesie

Post by Evesie »

Repaired my boots successfully - fingers crossed - they're still holding 3 months later - with a Loctite hot glue gun which was on a deal for less than a tenner from Halfords.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm that's a thought - I actually have one of them for repairing ski bases...