Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

errol

Re: Todays ride

Post by errol »

Boab wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:22 pm I'm on-call at the moment, only secondary though, which means I need to be able to respond within an hour. So staying less than an hour away from the house, I headed out yesterday afternoon for a long (ish) ride. The wind was quite chilly, but when you got to a nice sheltered spot, it was really quite warm. Took in a few byways and bridleways, I think I'll give a few of them a miss for another month or so, absolutely saturated and chopped up by the horses...

Couldn't have been more different this morning -1°C evidently, so full winter kit. I stayed on the tarmac and was starting to get a bit too warm when I got near the end of the ride.
Nice fot!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Breakthrough ride today. Didn't take any rocks with us as I didn't have the space. Plus, it would be nice to see if I could actually do the training hill (Back Lane) when going lightweight and easy as poss!

Not that I managed it ehe last time we went up with a local called Stu! Today wasn't too squelchy which is very uncharacteristic of Back Lane but the recent weather obviously had taken it's toll for last Firdays ride.

Woke up and was ready to go out at about 10am. But the body wasn't feeling to 'forward looking' to it. Took it as a hint that it might not be a mighty good idea today, but training needs must (the Bearbones200 isn't gonna ride itself and I don't intend on being embarrassingly late for Stu/Dee on my next attempt). So departure time was reset to after midday prayers, which were at 1330 at the masjid.

1430 I set off for a not too clever 22 miler. It could easily all go 'curtains' for me, but I'd had my 2L of water overnight and weetabix for Sehri (early morning snack before dawn prayers).

Not sure if it was the lighter version of me or the fact I didn't dwpart until I felt OK. But it was an, 'up, up and more up'. Got past that broken wall where the tree had uprooted onto it. Felt like screaming, 'AllahuAkbar' at the top of the voice but restrained myself as I don't want prevent on my case.

Last time I managed to clear Back Lane Track was so long ago I can't even recall if it was a dream or if I'd actually 'dabbed' but carried on. Anyway, no 'dabbing' today and later I used my shiny new (to me) bins to take a pic of our local Eifel Tower (Emley More Mast). Never actually taken a pic of that in so many times I've seen it - and it's actually visible from Sunny Scunny as the locals told me.

Anyway, the moon was more exciting...

Rest of the ride was uneventful and with a bit of prayers, I might just get this weeks training quota of 3 rides in. Maybe even topple 32 miles on Friday (but don't try that at home :grin: ).
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

The Salsa Bucksaw came out of hibernation today :lol: First ride out on her in over 6 months. Went local up on the Carneddau.
Image20230404_105228 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230404_113252 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230404_095326 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

It's still an absoulute joy to ride :-bd
Image20230404_094752 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

What a day Jeff, looks great :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Flipping gorgeous day for a bike ride. Was a bit nippy at 07:00, but I was changing into lighter weight gloves and headgear at an alarming rate as it warmed up. Some of the bridelways and byways are still best left alone, but a few are running nicely.

Coffee and cake at Maglia Rosso, while perving at other peoples bikes.

Lots of fettling trying to get my position sorted now the Selle Italia Model X Green Superflow is on the RAG+. Saddle high is now 5mm higher, with 5mm less setback; puts me in a much better position on the hoods, but too much pressure on the outside of the hands. Might have to, argh, raise the bars; which will prolly mean a new stem. Also came to the conclusion that the Model X is too curved, so the effective saddle width is essential one size down, which is most likely why it's comfy after a couple of hours. *sighs*

Also spotted this beast in Maglia Rosso, couldn't help think that a few on here wouldn't might a poke and prod at it...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I had a few days up north over the weekend. Headed to Assynt for another fix of stunning scenery. Had a couple of nights at the stunning Sandwood Bay with a walk over the bog to Strathchailleach bothy. Then headed south to Lochinver for a night at Suileag bothy. Very nice it was too!
Chilled out bikepacking for sure :-bd
Some pics...
Image20230408_090940 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230407_180735 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230407_212403 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230407_201048 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230408_115102 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230409_165306-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230409_143835-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230409_144551-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230409_163340 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230409_223724 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Congrats on getting that weather window Jeff, it always seems to rain when I go up there!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:18 pm Congrats on getting that weather window Jeff, it always seems to rain when I go up there!
Yeah was pretty chuffed with the weather ybh :-bd

Instagram:

YouTube:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yesterday's ride was lovely....

Along the canal and back road to Llangynidr, then up and over Llangynidr Mountain, always beautiful, well on a sunny day anyway, nice and warm by now (first time this year in short sleeves and legs out :cool: !).

Then picked up the ever miraculous NC route 46, somehow a section I'd not ridden before, beautifully smooth tarmac cycleway weaving its way between the Heads of the Valleys road and the various industrial estates, and soon I could see the bridge at Brynmawr in the distance.

ImageIMG_20230415_102941 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Shortly after this, the tarmac was quite abruptly replaced with rough gravel and potholes and I found myself literally going into, and through, a scrapyard :lol: , complete with overalled blokes standing around smoking (otherwise I would have taken a picture), nothing to suggest that I was even meant to be going through there! Popped out in a street on the edge of Brynmawr, and of course, all the route 46 signs completely disappeared, just a the point where they would actually have been quite useful...

I noticed the name of a street I rode through was "Intermediate Road", and I couldn't help but marvel at the ingenuity of whoever had been in charge of naming that street, and just how depressing it must be to live at such an address... ( I know, it's maybe just a variation on "High Street", but still....)

After a bit of confusing spaghetti junction working out how to cross the various roundabouts and flyovers, I was on the very lovely cycle path through the Clydach Gorge (sorry no photos).

Back home along the canal, and passed our former above of the SWWB, albeit quite a bit warmer....

ImageIMG_20230415_121339 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Altogether lots of happy springy springliness, you know, newborn lambs, freshly hatched ducklings, pretty flowers, lots of happy cyclists, smiling tourists, little boy looking for tadpoles in puddles, that sort of thing..... Lovely!

ImageIMG_20230415_120425 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Spring into the Dales Audax for me today. "only" 115km, but with 2,200m of climbing in it. Pretty much no flat.

I'd done the perm. version of it last year, and "enjoyed" it, but fancied the calendar version as it's a bit different. Weather was excellent, enjoyed the 2km cycle from my house to the start (big advantage), quick brew, then off with out much of a fanfare - I do love this about audaxing.

Climbs were quick and brutal. I've not ridden much this year so I knew it was going to be a shock to my legs - which it most definitely was. Bounced all the controls as I had a plan to do it quick with minimal stopped time. I wanted to reduce the faff time of nearly 50 mins from last years ride. Total faff, 20min which included all the controls was great.

5hr 35min start to finish. Very happy with the time, less so my legs falling apart near the end.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Not a BaM but a "Todays Ride" because Aprils BaM is a biggie and I want to make a bit more of an effort for that one>

In short - afternoon train to Church Stretton, ride (push) up Carding Mill Valley, up over Pole Bank

Find a hut and join the corrugated iron shed club....

...kip in it...

...then move swiftly on, down Minton Batch and back to Church Stretton where the choice was to look for breakfast and miss the next train home, or just get the train...

I got the train, but it all went horribly wrong when I didn't change trains at Shrewsbury and found myself heading to Manchester. Oh Heck! Jump off at Crewe, wait 40 minutes for a train to Chester, which arrived 8 minutes late, and watch the Wrexham train disappear into the distance. The next Wrexham train was not for nearly two hours. Nowt for it but to pedal off into the rain for the 14 miles home (instead of 6).
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Eventful. Shedtastic. Sensible dog owners only.

Rode 10 miles with Mrs P to Tring (must be a good place name for limericks surely), had coffee and cake, rode 10 miles home again. Simple pleasures.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:13 pm Eventful. Shedtastic. Sensible dog owners only.
My first thought was invisible dog owner..and same for dogs! :wink:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
faustus

Post by faustus »

Nipped out yesterday for what turned out to be a cracking local loop. Weather was sunny but windy, Celandines lined the towpath and the hedges were in full blossom. I went down 2 unexplored footpaths to make a really nice loop I'd not done before, but that included some really nice bits. For those who might disagree with riding footpaths, i'm firmly in the pragmatic camp of saying b*llocks to the idiotic rights of way system, and just look for what is nice to ride. For reference, lots of footpaths around here look like this, and this was a pleasure to find and ride:
Otherwise, the countryside is going green and bosky, and it's a balm for my generally anxious mind to be immersed in it, and riding on dry-ish trails.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Went out for a ride this morning, hoping to try and replicate what I'll be wearing next weekend. The expected inclement weather didn't really materialise, which was both nice, but also frustrating.

The bad trails are still bad, but aren't as bad as they were a few weeks ago. All the others were pretty dry and running nicely...

90KM on flats, with new Lake MX 201 shoes; mostly fine, but a few issues. Hopefully it'll all be fine next weekend, although I think I need to twerk my positions slightly, as the stack height of the pedals and shoes are slightly different to the old shoes.
RIP

Post by RIP »

For me, bikes are equally appropriate for utility journeys as well as for fannying around in the woods journeys. Maybe more so. Anything around town, motors are a stupid idea for many reasons.

My pal Katrina rang up and said "You know you plant trees down by the river?", "Er, yeee-e-e-s?", "Well would you like a tree?", "Maybe, how big is it?", "Ooh, you know....", "Could I fit it on my bike trailer?", "Definitely... probably... mmm, maybe....".

So off I went right across town, bunged it on the trailer tied up with a bit of string, and came back down the High Street getting lots of funny looks ("mummy there's a silly man with a tree on his bike", <slap>, "how many times have I told you not to make things up?" etc).

Took it down to the river where it now resides happily(?).

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Decided to do some destruction testing of knees and back today, ahead of the Highland Trail in three weekends time. 9 and a half hours and 80 miles did the job, round the trails of North Fife and the lomonds. Easier than HT fair but plenty of long draggy climbs to test singlespeed persistence. Felt a bit weary mid afternoon but Ladybank spar shop provided a range of pies, crisps and cake which sorted me a treat. By the time I got home I could have kept going. Knees more or less OK and no squeaks from my back, despite having to humpf the bike over various stiles, gates and fences.

North Fife pleasantness.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Not today, but yesterday. Decided to implement a plan that's been brewing for a while and hit a number of cycling friendly cafés. Starting with Espresso Library in Cambridge, followed by Bicicletta in Saffron Walden. Shortly after that the rain started, it didn't stop till I got home may, many hours later; looks like the waterproof socks didn't survive the WRT. Anyhoo, we next stopped at Platform One in Clare, but they'd decided to shut early as no-one had turned up; there was twenty or so disgruntled motorcyclists standing around the Country Park car park. Then it was off to Maglia Rosso in Hawstead, before the final stop at Phoenix Cycleworks in Kentford. Then I fannied around on the back roads till I knew I'd tick over the 200KM mark, before heading home for a long hot shower and some cheese on toast.

Last edited by Boab on Mon May 08, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd You beat me on k's Boab but I scored 2700m of climbing.
Nadda cafes tho...
RIP

Post by RIP »

A good theme for a ride that Bob. But after a double espresso (plus cake presumably) at each of five cafes, how did you manage to unstick yourself from the ceiling afterwards?

Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:17 am A good theme for a ride that Bob. But after a double espresso (plus cake presumably) at each of five cafes, how did you manage to unstick yourself from the ceiling afterwards?
Only four, as one of the cafés was shut. I was so tired at the end, I could've had another four and it wouldn't have made any difference... 😴
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:

The "Today's Ride" thread title doesn't actually specify a mode of transport, so I'm going to mention a bus ride. Having a week in the Staffordshire Moorlands with Mrs P, at Warslow. Popped down to Hartington on the 442 bus yesterday, and will use it to get to Buxton on Wednesday.

Today is a stroll round the Hollinsclough area, with no normal bus service. However the Moorlands Connect on-demand service (set up a few years ago by my pal at Staffordshire County Council) will take you anywhere to anywhere within the Leek - Ashbourne - Buxton triangle. Pre-book, even same day, and they balance up all the different requests and arrange a route to cover them all.

Yes I am on topic, because there is a cycle connection. The bus can carry three bikes. So you can roll up on the train to Buxton then use the bus to assist any sort of 'one way' ride in the area. Plus you get all the local gossip and info from the folks on the bus.

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I think a combination of the High Peak trail and Tissington trail will take you from Buxton to Ashbourne with most of it being downhill
M4tt

Post by M4tt »

thumbnail_IMG_5258.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5258.jpg (219.8 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Every day is a school day X_X Lincolnshire doesn't really have hills but does present some other challenges to keep things 'interesting'!!
Verena

Post by Verena »

M4tt wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:44 am thumbnail_IMG_5258.jpg Every day is a school day X_X Lincolnshire doesn't really have hills but does present some other challenges to keep things 'interesting'!!
:o