Frame Protection Tape

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Frame Protection Tape

Post by Boab »

So 3M 8671 HS Polyurethane Protective Tape is quite spendy when you try and buy a whole roll, or even a bit of a roll. Can anyone recommend a reliable seller on eBay (or another source) and advise on the best width to protect bouncy forks and stays from mudguard rub...? I notice that MudHugger so packs of 4x 100mm width, so I'm assuming that's a good width to go for...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Re: Frame Protection Tape

Post by Lazarus »

I bought some of ebay it was rubbish and it peeled off within 3 months
I need to re order so will watch this with interest but buy cheap buy twice is my experience
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There seems to be quite a bit of knock-off 3M stuff about which might account for some being poor.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BenS

Post by BenS »

I have used stickytapes.com in the past and the product was good. About to order some more from them
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've used gorilla clear repair tape with success, cut to desired size or shape. Thick and long lasting too.
This stuff, plenty of other uses and last ages https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... 34267712-p
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I just use self adhesive vinyl, available in sheets. Good for wrapping round frame tubes to protect against straps as well as bits to prevent cable rub. Cheap and easy to put on.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

self adhesive vinyl, available in sheets
I had a friend who completely covered a frame in this, in a wood effect pattern.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Wilko do a plastic repair tape or something which is clear, thick and sticks quite well

It's also very cheap
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

The stuff I've been using has been very good and non-yellowing. Can't recall the name but will try and check tomorrow in the shed (hopefully it still has reciept/details with it.

I know most people know this but it's always important to ensure the bubbles are properly squeezed out; use soap/water; and ensure there's no sharp corners/edges (so a sharp clean scissor is a must to get lots of 'roundings' around them edges).
redefined_cycles

Just checked. Convertape is what I have on the reciept for my heli (type) tape. It's very good but googling em and it comes to another website. Wonder if they sold up or shut down!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Have a look at Vikings Tapes eBay shop-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/vikingtapes? ... 84.l113337

I wouldn’t get any of the thick stuff, it’s harder to work with & seems to peel off easier. Invisiframe uses the thinner, more flexible one. (can’t remember the ref numbers)..

Not sure if it’s any good, but have some of the square sheets that comes with a MudHugger you can have FOC if you PM me a postal addy…
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I've taped up most of the frames I've owned in the past but just purchased a Ti hardtail and I'm wondering if I should tape it or let it bare the marks of adventure ?? any thoughts
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
redefined_cycles

Leave it bare :grin:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:02 pm Just checked. Convertape is what I have on the reciept for my heli (type) tape. It's very good but googling em and it comes to another website. Wonder if they sold up or shut down!
They were always my go to. I have them as a saved seller on eBay but alas, a dead link there as well.

I have bought some ETC tape on a reel and that is complete rubbish.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Timely thread, I've just removed the mess of gaffer tape that was on the SS's crank arms. Are any of these clear tapes thick enough to be used on cranks?
redefined_cycles

Timely thread, I've just removed the mess of gaffer tape that was on the SS's crank arms. Are any of these clear tapes thick enough to be used on cranks?
I've seen heli tape types used on cranks and the thickness I don't think really is a worry (pardon the sentence structure). Just be aware that the nature of most protection tapes is that it won't don't non-round edges/angles very well. So I'd put it a few mm in from the edge and use a new cutting to the do the adjacent section.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Are any of these clear tapes thick enough to be used on cranks?
I have used to on the crank arm faces where i get heel rub without any issue but it will only stick to a gently round or flat faces - it wont do the angles at all [ never tried a full wrap which may work ]
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

jameso wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:39 am Timely thread, I've just removed the mess of gaffer tape that was on the SS's crank arms. Are any of these clear tapes thick enough to be used on cranks?
I use electrical tape if they are black cranks.
jameso

Post by jameso »

johnnystorm wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:46 pm
jameso wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:39 am Timely thread, I've just removed the mess of gaffer tape that was on the SS's crank arms. Are any of these clear tapes thick enough to be used on cranks?
I use electrical tape if they are black cranks.
Silver/gray mix, old XTRs. Clear pre-cut crank protectors I bought a while back didn't last long so worth finding something fairly thick. Clear tape cut to fit would be fine.
jameso

Post by jameso »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:03 am i tape types used on cranks and the thickness I don't think really is a worry (pardon the sentence structure). Just be aware that the nature of most protection tapes is that it won't don't non-round edges/angles very well. So I'd put it a few mm in from the edge and use a new cutting to the do the adjacent section.
Cheers, worth knowing as I've never taped a frame.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Invisiframe do ready-cut kits for cranks-

https://www.invisiframe.co.uk/individua ... himano-mtb
jameso

Post by jameso »

Wotsits wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:22 pm Invisiframe do ready-cut kits for cranks-

£15 though :shock: that buys a lot of tape that can be cut to a slightly less perfect but equally effective rectangle..
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

jameso wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:39 pm
Wotsits wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:22 pm Invisiframe do ready-cut kits for cranks-

£15 though :shock: that buys a lot of tape that can be cut to a slightly less perfect but equally effective rectangle..
I know, i don't think it paricularly lasts that long on well-used cranks either!