Post by ergaster »

Operation New Bivvy well under way!
“‘What day is it?’ asked Pooh.
‘It’s today,’ squeaked Piglet.
‘My favourite day,’ said Pooh.”
redefined_cycles

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by redefined_cycles »

faustus wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:09 pm The one I've been waiting for: did a C2W parts and accessories splash out, so a disappointingly small box arrived this morning (considering the combined value!). It sets me up with some lovely stuff to last a long time, plus some very nice replacement consumables.
Highlights include extremely nice MT905 rotors, Osprey waterproof backpack, Ortlieb fork bags and saddle bag, nice 10spd cassette and chain, GRX 812 mech, bulk size tubeless sealant and shimano mineral oil, and a selection of nice tyres.
Congrats on that little haul Faustus. Very high end indeed. I was actually thinking about getting another Osprey today as the Deuter doesn't have as much functional accessible pockets on the fly. My Raptor is still going strong (but now used for work duties and it's only 18L).

Remember to keep the reciept for that Ortlieb for 5 years :grin: and when fastening/tightening the buckles, take the torque off the buckles during the 'clicking in' bit (mine broke cos of that but this method seemed to be the cure). Should last a very very long time :smile:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Os maps digital subscription- Dash 4 it @£19.99 was cheaper than going direct to OS at £28.99
2924 miles per Gallon
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered some books.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Boab wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:49 pm ... and delivered some books.
I’m reading “Full Tilt” too. Got it from our local library. I’ve read it before (also borrowed from the library) but I seem to remember that in the older version, 35 or 40 years ago, there were a few photos. I was slightly disappointed that there are none in this version.

It’s still a good read, though. :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

... with some boring paperwork; pre-loved "The Lads From Macc" double-CD (live in Leeds, The Beer Necessities); and a pre-loved "The Lost Rainforests of Britain" hardback by Mr Shrubsole.

Paperwork shoved in the desk for "later", CD laughed at uproariously; book started.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:31 am ... with some boring paperwork; pre-loved "The Lads From Macc" double-CD (live in Leeds, The Beer Necessities); and a pre-loved "The Lost Rainforests of Britain" hardback by Mr Shrubsole.

Paperwork shoved in the desk for "later", CD laughed at uproariously; book started.
Does it have the classic track that is Sweaty Betty??? Macc Lads were a staple soundtrack to climbing trips in the 90s for me, not sure I dare search them on my family spotify account though as my 9 year old may expand her vocabulary even more broadly than now!
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulE wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:34 am
RIP wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:31 am ... with some boring paperwork; pre-loved "The Lads From Macc" double-CD (live in Leeds, The Beer Necessities); and a pre-loved "The Lost Rainforests of Britain" hardback by Mr Shrubsole.

Does it have the classic track that is Sweaty Betty??? Macc Lads were a staple soundtrack to climbing trips in the 90s for me, not sure I dare search them on my family spotify account though as my 9 year old may expand her vocabulary even more broadly than now!
Of course, first track on Live At Leeds :grin: ("The Who?" :smile: ). I'm getting really into them now, having missed out before. Just playing this as we speak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=aKMj63WbRhs. Rather captures the general atmosphere (wet!) methinks :smile: . Totally chaotic fun, some very cleverly crafted (yes really) lyrics, with skilled and beltin' playing. As I said to Stu earlier, "the like will never been seen again"....... but, shhh... don't tell anyone Mutt's real name is Tristan... I bet he eats avocados on sourdough when nobody's looking.... :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:39 am
..... but, shhh... don't tell anyone Mutt's real name is Tristan... I bet he eats avocados on sourdough when nobody's looking.... :grin:
So Macclesfield life style guru's -Tristan, Geoffrey (and Percy left earlier) :lol: :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and dropped off some flats, grips, shoes and a new bottom bracket.

The shoes are Giro Tracker Fastlace, which are just shy of being wide enough; going longer will just make them clown shoes. Not sure about the fastlace though, might send them back and get the Boa one, and some thinner socks.
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

...and dropped off a new front and rear tyre, sealant, tape and valves. My first foray into tubeless. Here's hoping it's relatively straightforward.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

…and dropped off some bottle cages, camelback dirt series bottles and a montane featherlight trail jacket. The name fits, its stupidly light and folds into its own pocket.
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and dropped off some mudguards. Mentally I was expecting a chain and some mitts, so was quite surprised at the size of the box. Had almost forgotten I'd ordered these:

... and another one dropped of this box direct from Lake. Could it be that these are the ones...? :pray:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

With a new cassette and a new chain whip since I broke the last one :o (the pin holding the chain to the handle broke and since it used an 8 or 9spd chain to get around the thickness of the handle and I'd not got one of those to replace it with and considering that it was about 20yrs old I got a new one)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

whitestone wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:45 pm With a new cassette and a new chain whip since I broke the last one :o (the pin holding the chain to the handle broke and since it used an 8 or 9spd chain to get around the thickness of the handle and I'd not got one of those to replace it with and considering that it was about 20yrs old I got a new one)
I have a load of 8spd quick links, can post one if you want to revive it?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cheers but nah. The new one has a padded handle rather than just a bare strip of metal plus the old one had broken enough times that there was very little chain left to actually wrap the cassette.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

You know you're riding enough when you're wearing out chainwhips :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

A pretty-much-new Outdry jacket from Andy (rufus###) of this parish. It's a size smaller than my old one, but is the same width, slightly shorter, but has much longer arms, which overall is a strong win. Hopefully that'll make the weather dry up now!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Brought me a cheap/used/warranted/scuffed backpack for £60. Sounds really bad but, it's a Durston. Seem to be getting quite the pack of packs together :o
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

…and dropped off some new running shoes and, more importantly, some maps so I can start thinking of a WRT plan.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

According to the text from my neighbour, postie brought a giant box with a wheel and more... So should be the swytch kit for my wife's bike. Fingers crossed, as she wants to get riding again but could do with a bit of electrical help in order to manage our hills
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

....with a pair of yeti gaiters - new old stock from e*** and cheap enough to have punt on. All part of my 'warm feet' plans but too late for this year. Anyway a trial fit to my walking boots seemed much easier than advertised - must be due to all that practice breaking the beads of WTB Rangers.... Annoyingly my nice Lake winterboots have started leaking and are no longer made so possibly another dead end....
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

PaulE wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:23 pm According to the text from my neighbour, postie brought a giant box with a wheel and more... So should be the swytch kit for my wife's bike. Fingers crossed, as she wants to get riding again but could do with a bit of electrical help in order to manage our hills
I'm sure there are a few of us wanting to know how you get on.
The missus hasn't used her bike since before lock down.. I often thought it may be a possible solution.
(Orbit tourer remember those?)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

It's on charge now, and once the parents have gone home this afternoon it'll be fitted... Hopefully out for a test ride before dark... I'll try to get photos of the assembly and update on progress.

I'm not sure it's much cheaper than a basic ebike, but Jen really likes her existing bike fit so hopefully it's a good solution
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

PaulE wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:20 pm It's on charge now, and once the parents have gone home this afternoon it'll be fitted... Hopefully out for a test ride before dark... I'll try to get photos of the assembly and update on progress.

I'm not sure it's much cheaper than a basic ebike, but Jen really likes her existing bike fit so hopefully it's a good solution
I forgot to take photos, mostly as it's boringly simple. Took about an hour to setup the switch kit, a fair bit of which was getting the pedal sensors in the right place as her Liv frame is very wide but cranks relatively narrow - this meant I had to mount the wired bit to the seattube not downtube.

All works fine, and put a large smile on Jen's face - our block has a reasonably steep 100m long hill on one side of it, and she went up it at half power without getting out of breath. All looking good so far 🤞