What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Johnallan

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by Johnallan »

The tailfin rack doesn't have a light mount and the one you can buy fits to the bag. Pretty useless with a dynamo rear light if you want to remove the bag..

I shaped a bit of ali plate and turned 4 off ali top-hat spacers. Needs better hardware and a lick of hammerite but it seems functional enough
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Very neat work John :-bd, just been ordering bottle cages, pedals and tubeless valves whilst waiting for new ride to land
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Leerowe76 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:10 pm whilst waiting for new ride to land
This sounds like you might take to the tarmac? Careful, it's a slippery slope :grin:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Johnallan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:35 pm
Leerowe76 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:10 pm whilst waiting for new ride to land
This sounds like you might take to the tarmac? Careful, it's a slippery slope :grin:
No mate just another MTB but Ti this time, actually entered a 120k roadie ride with AudaxUK see if I still fancy the roadie thing :| we'll see how that pans out come the weekend, used to love a day out on the road bike but not so much these days
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Boab

Post by Boab »

Finally set my cheap Superstar wheels up tubeless:

Serviced the sticky clutch:

Stuck the rear wheel on so I could fit a new chain, but it wouldn't fit. I couldn't figure it out, till I took it out and the cassette and free hub fell off. Same thing happened when I first fitted my DT Swiss wheels to the RAG+, maybe rear hubs just don't like me. Anyhoo, after a bit of googling, I took a bit of string and wrapped it around the pawls, then semi-inserted the unit into the hub body, before whipping the string off; along with rather a lot of the grease:

Put the front of the bike together; checked it again, then again, and again, and again. Nothing like checking five times before cutting:

I now have a MTB again:

I then took the cassette, jockey wheels and chain ring off the RAG+ and gave them a clean. Also took the muguards off, swapped wheels, then fitted all the Restrap baggage. Time to ride*...

* I did consider strapping the bags to the Scandal, but I rather spend a couple of days twerking my position, fitting flats and getting the fork sag setup.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Took my camping bike (ti rigid hardtail) out in to the woods for a test ride. The brakes (Deore 2 pots) were howling like banshees, the worst I've ever heard. And in the dry too! Back brake was barely functioning. Not so good.

Cleaned them up with brake cleaner. No good!
Went to put spare pads in. Have none that fit!
Took pads out and cleaned them with nail polish remover. Still howling!
Went to try different rotors. None that fit, but do have some that are bigger.
Went to fit bigger rotors, no brake adaptors!
Went to fit another set of Shimano brakes I found in a box. Argh, they need bled as levers going straight to the bar. Didn't have the right stuff for bleeding! Will be why I put them in an odd cardboard box.
Pulled some hair out!
Took rotors and pads off, more nail polish remover, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Still no good!
Put pads in vice, fired up the camping stove as a bunsen burner and torched the buggers. Still no good!
Pulled out some more hair!
Put pads in the oven, 20 mins @ 180c - et voila, perfectly functioning brakes again!

Must order spare pads!
jobro

Post by jobro »

Put pads in the oven, 20 mins @ 180c - et voila, perfectly functioning brakes again!
This is new to me. Thanks for the tip!
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Am guessing it volatilises off the contaminant compounds in the pads. The pads themselves can withstand higher temperatures.
I think the blowtorch would have done it if I left it on for longer. Though harder to control temperature, could over cook them!
Boab

Post by Boab »

jobro wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 am
New to me too, might have to give that a try as the Swiss Stop pads I'm currently running are sounding like a fog horn...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Boab wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:41 pm
jobro wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 am
New to me too, might have to give that a try as the Swiss Stop pads I'm currently running are sounding like a fog horn...
You wont need a bell!
But may be afterwards :wink:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
jameso

Post by jameso »

Quick update on the dynamo hub rebuild. Pretty sure from part numbers on the shell that it's the same as the Jtek and Love Mud dynamo hubs (QR version). It's all back together with new bearings (6000RS) and the wheel is running straight + producing power as normal (I re-joined the wire that was damages when removing the axle as one part looks threaded but is actually a push fit which seems logical in hindsight with the parts in front of me. That was the biggest faff. The rest was fairly easy).

I'd post a how-to but 1) it's effort with image hosting and 2) I don't think many are using this particular hub anyway, it's certainly a different assembly to the SP hub. If you find this through some random search .. it's not too difficult and I can email you a how-to.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good effort Jameso, I've now taken two SP hubs apart for bearing changes - as you say, I right old fiddle but better than buying a new hub!
jameso

Post by jameso »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:58 pm Good effort Jameso, I've now taken two SP hubs apart for bearing changes - as you say, I right old fiddle but better than buying a new hub!
I have an old worn SP here actually. Did you post the service up here, I seem to remember it? I think the SP is a screw-together shell and I'd need to be sure of how the axle and winding part is removed without breaking a wire, rejoining the wire to fit is such limited space was the main faff.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

yourguitarhero wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:11 am

I’ve been having foghorn brakes front and back for some time, along with poor braking. Like you, I tried all the usual things from tinternet with no improvement. You idea of putting the pads in the oven at least got them braking a bit better- they still squeal though.

Now I found a thing on YouTube where a guy made a paste of scourer powder (Vim or Ajax or the like) that worked. On his video it did, anyway, but you can’t easily get that sort of stuff any more. In desperation, today, I tried a paste of wood-ash from the log burner.

The squeal is now deafening, but by hookey, the brakes are sharp as a sharp thing. I’ve no more time to fiddle with it now, before my last-minute BaM tomorrow (I don’t know where I’ll go yet). I’m hoping some ups and downs will bed ‘em in.

Here’s hoping…
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

jameso wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:30 am
fatbikephil wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:58 pm Good effort Jameso, I've now taken two SP hubs apart for bearing changes - as you say, I right old fiddle but better than buying a new hub!
I have an old worn SP here actually. Did you post the service up here, I seem to remember it? I think the SP is a screw-together shell and I'd need to be sure of how the axle and winding part is removed without breaking a wire, rejoining the wire to fit is such limited space was the main faff.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14444&start=675
Page 28 with a couple more bits on page 29
The shell on my disk hub key together whereas the older non disk one didn't. Its sealed with glue so a bit of heat and then a thump got the shell apart.
jameso

Post by jameso »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:48 pm viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14444&start=675
Page 28 with a couple more bits on page 29
The shell on my disk hub key together whereas the older non disk one didn't. Its sealed with glue so a bit of heat and then a thump got the shell apart.
Thanks, useful.

Reminds me to add that I did silicon-seal the outer of the join in the Jtek/Love Mud hub when pushing the halves together, just as a back up.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Replaced the pawls, springs and bearings in a Hope Pro 2 singlespeed hub that's been in regular use for 10 years :oops: 3 of those years with a bit of zip tie for one of the pawls.
Wow, the pick up is a lot better than I remember it? :grin:

I actually cleared a short tricky climb on a bit of singletrack and I think the hub actually engaging in time was part of it.
So impressed I did the other Hope freehub which wasn't as bad but was more worn than I'd appreciated.

Work's been unusually quiet for 2 months and my garage has never looked more organised and bikes have never been in better condition. New mini workshop has a bigger vice on the bench and it's been doing a great job as a hub bearing press in recent weeks.

I also figured out how to make a gen 1 Revelate (Epic) bar harness work really neatly and securely with an Ortlieb Accessory pocket on a Jones loop bar (recently re-taped, re-cabled with new thumbie mounts), the sort of thing that happens when you have a large flask of tea, many biscuits and a couple of hours of trial and error combinations with 3 harnesses and 2 pocket bags and a load of straps and buckles.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Been doing an ongoing shed tidy-up. Chucking pointless crap away, and doing the mindful task of sorting through the disparate collections of bolts, washers, valve caps, ferrules, and general gubbins that i've not put away in the right place for an age. All of it going into a drawer storage unit to be labelled and organised properly. It's nice to see the same of everything in the right place again, and also makes it clear I have too many spare...things. Do I really need lots of bits of chain, 30 valve caps, 15 shimano rotor washers, or about 20 chainring bolts? :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

faustus wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:37 am Been doing an ongoing shed tidy-up. Chucking pointless crap away, and doing the mindful task of sorting through the disparate collections of bolts, washers, valve caps, ferrules, and general gubbins that i've not put away in the right place for an age. All of it going into a drawer storage unit to be labelled and organised properly. It's nice to see the same of everything in the right place again, and also makes it clear I have too many spare...things. Do I really need lots of bits of chain, 30 valve caps, 15 shimano rotor washers, or about 20 chainring bolts? :grin:
Be warned - I did a similar thing a few years ago and chucked or gave away a load of bits I was convinced I'd never use again. I've subsequently needed what seems like everything I got rid of!
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Hope Pro 2 singlespeed hub that's been in regular use for 10 years :oops:
I got fed up of one the bearings packing up after a couple of months repeatedly

Just use bog standard pro2 now
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I've now taken two SP hubs apart for bearing changes - as you say, I right old fiddle but better than buying a new hub!
How much you charging for doing this :wink:

Looks fiddly but doable but mine seems ok [second hand and over 2000 miles use from me] , then again it only really sees road miles
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm too rubbish to do it commercially.....
In all honesty its actually pretty easy and on both my hubs it was only the brake side bearing that was knackered which can be changed without having to dismantle the dynamo wiring - this is the fiddly bit....
jameso

Post by jameso »

Johnallan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:05 pm The tailfin rack doesn't have a light mount and the one you can buy fits to the bag. Pretty useless with a dynamo rear light if you want to remove the bag..

I shaped a bit of ali plate and turned 4 off ali top-hat spacers. Needs better hardware and a lick of hammerite but it seems functional enough
Neat work John - is that the seatpost mount light? Looks like it. I have one that I'd like to move to above the rear caliper brake on my road bike - currently have an Alu plate off the brake bridge that holds a round LED back-up light + reflector. It looks like you've got the steel strap/loop off the light to secure on a flat plate there?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Decided to change the bearings in my other X Track pedal. I discovered that there's supposed to be a small washer between the bolt and the bearings; didn't notice one on the other pedal, but then one of the bearings was destroyed and there was bits everywhere. I probably didn't need to change them, as they didn't feel that bad, looks like the bushing has gone, along with the seal at the end.

Once that was done, they were taken off and chucked in a box, to be replaced by the new Nukeproof Neutron's. I also replaced the grips, and swapped the Selle Italia Model X Green Superflow for my old Spesh one. I'd like to be comfy on the WRT.

Then I switched bikes, fitted the aforementioned Model X to the RAG+, before starting to swap the bottom bracket. Got it all off, to discover that the bearings are still nice and smooth, so not the source of the notchity feeling coming through the pedals. Looks like my chain is totally FUBAR, so I'm now going with it being the culprit; should've bought another one when I ordered the mudguards the other day. Oh well...
jameso

Post by jameso »

riderdown wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:22 am
Hope Pro 2 singlespeed hub that's been in regular use for 10 years :oops:
I got fed up of one the bearings packing up after a couple of months repeatedly

Just use bog standard pro2 now
Fwiw these are Pro 2s Evos from 2011 I think. The main body bearings have been replaced many times, the needle bearings and end bearing in the freehub lasted better, also didn't bother me so much when there was play there as it's just the cassette that rattles a bit not the whole wheel wobbling.