Flats

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Flats

Post by Boab »

Having just finished The Midlife Cyclist, which I got out of the library. I now feel duty bound to have a go with flat pedals, for the first time in thirty odd years. I've not been a fan, as I can never seem to get my feet into the right place, but am willing to have another go. There's been a few recommendation on here over the years, Nukeproof Neutron spring to mind.

While I could go cheap and cheerful on something like the all plastic DMR V6, something serviceable might be better. So I was pondering trying the Crank Brothers Stamp 1, but am unsure which size to get, anyone got any suggestions?

While we're at it. Super wide, high volume shoes for using with flats...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Re: Flats

Post by Bearlegged »

I'd still recommend the Neutrons, they last pretty well IME.
I also run V6s on the gradventourer, but they're a bit of a consumable.

Shoes, I have fairly wide feet (have always ended up with Lake or Specialized shoes when using SPDs). I get on well with Adidas Trailcross. Excellent grip from the sole, they seem pretty durable (I wear them as general purpose trainiers), and they don't soak up bucketloads of water (unlike other 5.10s).
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:28 pm Shoes, I have fairly wide feet (have always ended up with Lake or Specialized shoes when using SPDs). I get on well with Adidas Trailcross. Excellent grip from the sole, they seem pretty durable (I wear them as general purpose trainiers), and they don't soak up bucketloads of water (unlike other 5.10s).
My Lake wide fit are barely wide enough, and that's at a full size bigger than I should be in. I had just been looking at those Trailcross, but they didn't look particularly wide... I think I need a visit to an actual shop to try a few things on. 🤷
faustus

Post by faustus »

I dabbled with flats and they're not for me generally, but can see the appeal for some circumstances and keep some in stock if those needs arise. I use DMR V6s on the town bike, and they've been great for the past 6 years (no servicing, but doesn't get big mileage). If you're dabbling then no need to invest too much to start off with, but shape and grip on the DMRs are decent enough - or a similar composite flat.
M4tt

Post by M4tt »

I'm no bike expert but my Hope F20's are providing bags of grip and confidence.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

My Lake wide fit are barely wide enough, and that's at a full size bigger than I should be in.
Maybe look towards less bike-specific footwear that you know you're happy with?
I've got some Merrell winter boots that I use when it's cold and wet. While pedal grip isn't as good as my Adidas, it's perfectly acceptable for most of my bikepacking needs. I'd be less keen on them for hard/fast/techy riding though.
Boab

Post by Boab »

M4tt wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:25 pm I'm no bike expert but my Hope F20's are providing bags of grip and confidence.
Bit spendy to a toe dip though... 🤣

Pretty sure there was a thread on here not that long ago about the fallacy of pulling up. Then there's this in the book:

Which is followed by:

I thought it would be interesting to try this and see how I got on. I only have the one pair of shoes though, which if why I thought maybe getting some flat shoes would be a sensible idea...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here are my top flat pedal observations having spent ten years as a coach.

1/ Aim to place your foot slightly further forward than you would if clipped in. This makes your ankle 'stronger' and your foot much less likely to slip off the back of the pedal.

2/ Flat specific shoes are generally very good but none will make up for poor foot placement.

3/ Always maintain a slightly bent knee when descending.

4/ The thinner the pedal, the nearer the platform is to the axle and the more stable you'll be / feel.

5/ Don't be scared of vicious looking pins. With the correct technique, you'll not be coming into contact with them.

6/ Try to dip your heels (or at least imagine you are) when stood and climbing.

7/ As above when braking.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nukeproof electrons for me but referencing Stus point 5, I attacked them with an angle grinder in anticipation of the pins attacking my shin....
Work very well, light and so far very rock proof.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Hard to look past the electrons: light, hard waring, good grip, low profile and under £20.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

I have the electrons and I'm happy with them. I consider them a success due to the fact I don't need to think about them. I've paired them with Adidas Terrex Approach shoes and the pins sit securely in the sole with no slip at all.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I also went decades ignoring flat pedals until about 5-6 years ago. I had booked a ferry to Bilbao planning to ride back to Blighty. I had decided I was not going to 'race' just have a nice time touring. I had some cheap Superstar pedals and some Merrill walking shoes and I had a nice trip and doubt my performance was particularly affected.
When I got back I looked at a few reviews and bought myself some nice Race Face pedals for about £40 and Pearl Izumi shoes and happily ridden in them since. I still ride clipless sometimes but regularly switch depending on what I am doing.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I'm using a pair of these planet X plastic ones: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PEJVP539/ ... ls---black

Came on my stooge as the previous owner chucked them on so I could ride it straight away. Turns out they're really good - as much grip as DMR V12 or superstar metal pedals and way better than crank brothers. Work well with riding shoes or walking boots too.

Definitely a convert to plastic pedals, as they seem to stick much less to rocks when I catch a pedal, and do less ankle damage when I'm pushing the bike absent mindedly!