Anyone take binoculars on their trips?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Anyone take binoculars on their trips?

Post by benp1 »

Shaf, if you're going to use the bins with your kids then not all will be suitable

I actually bought a pair specifically to use with my kids(Kowa YF 6x30), as they fold small enough for a child's inter pupil distance. They were actually designed with kids in mind, although I rate them for normal use, they're lovely. I leave the Kowa's in the van as we're often near the sea and I like using them to spot birds and boats

Little pocket bins also often fold enough but are slightly trickier for them to use. I use my Leica 8x20s with the kids, works OK for them. But the Kowa's work better - easier to hold, focus and find things with
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

benp1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:26 pm Shaf, if you're going to use the bins with your kids then not all will be suitable

I actually bought a pair specifically to use with my kids(Kowa YF 6x30), as they fold small enough for a child's inter pupil distance. They were actually designed with kids in mind, although I rate them for normal use, they're lovely. I leave the Kowa's in the van as we're often near the sea and I like using them to spot birds and boats

Little pocket bins also often fold enough but are slightly trickier for them to use. I use my Leica 8x20s with the kids, works OK for them. But the Kowa's work better - easier to hold, focus and find things with
Nice1 Ben. Might explain why they never really seemed to enjoy using the others (that are now broken). Must've been a bit of a chore holding em to the face. Will consider that monocular suggested by Bearleg above...
JackT

Post by JackT »

I sometimes pack a monocular. I bought a Hawke Endurance ED 8X42 during lockdown. Seems fine. Decently bright and powerful enough to see birdlife a bit more closely, which was my main motivation. Not really sure it's justified in terms of TLS bikepacking but then I'm more of a lightweight cycle tourist.
redefined_cycles

Just an update on this. Since Bens post about the Kowa and me doing some reading around, seems that's what I'm settled on. Today whilst I've been browsing for some Kowa at my (limited) budget I've popped over to Clifton cameras.

Been looking at these https://www.birders-store.co.uk/kowa-sv ... ulars.html which seem cheap and compact enough for BPing duties. Then came the, 'can I help you' online assistant chap/chapette.

After telling Kushall my needs (compact to go in my bikepacking bags and hopefully lightweight) and suggesting the above is reasonable for me. He came back with these https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/kowa-s ... binoculars and tells me the size difference isn't much (he probably doesn't get that an extra couple of cm makes a big difference for us).

Anyway, so anyone that doesn't know Kowa (thanks again Ben) they're Japanese made. Waterproof and nitrogen filled and a 10 year manufacturing warranty. Some versions also come with an adaptor to attach your phone camera and take a pic of what you're viewing - he's checking if them one's he suggested can do that.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Quick version - I use 8x42 for bird watching, they’re certainly something I have to make a conscious decision to take with me. They’re heavy! Certainly wouldn’t want to carry them bikepacking unless I was actually going somewhere to bird watch properly.

Much better light and clarity over my small pair.

I’ll double check the make tonight.

(Wonder if the sales person heard back-packing rather than bike-packing and hence, suggested a heavier but better pair?)

The smaller pair weigh 260g compared to 665g of the bigger pair
redefined_cycles

(Wonder if the sales person heard back-packing rather than bike-packing and hence, suggested a heavier but better pair?)

The smaller pair weigh 260g compared to 665g of the bigger pair
Good observations there Simon. Yes, I don't think he actually got that them few cm difference would significant for me. I did try and mention it in different wording... The price difference is about £140 aswell for the more expensive set. I think that just about seals it for me then (I'll go buy the smaller ones on next pay day hopefully).
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Me again!

Double checked and I have a set of Viking 8x42 bins, looking at the charts they weigh about 600-700g. If I take these out, it’s with the purpose of using them quite a bit for nature, wouldn’t think of carrying these for ‘just in case’ or for short, quick looks.

Have a set of opticon bins in 8x25 and these are perfect for carrying and not worrying about weight. Not as good as the above but good for occasional use
redefined_cycles

Thanks v much Simon. Much appreciated :-bd
redefined_cycles

Thanks for all your help in my decision of what to go for. I ended up going for these beauties which were on a 'open/damaged box' promotion at about £160. 30 years warranty and reviewed well by Best Bins Reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-review ... geNumber=3

Thanks all :smile:
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Wise choice. I have a pair of 10 x 26 safari ones. Cheaper than yours,but can't fault them. Regularly carry them on rides. Pleased with their performance over last 5 years. :-bd
Insanity over vanity
redefined_cycles

Good to hear that Cyclepeasant. Hope I can keep mine safe for 5 years and beyond :grin: The wife has already told me off pre-emptively to make sure I don't leave em with the 8 year old without direct supervision. :smile: