Stretch

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Stretch

Post by fatbikephil »

So my knees have been giving me a bit of gyp recently for the first time in a few years.... Anyway the physio has just been doing some investigations and concluded tight hamstrings, quads, hip flexors and calves. Which is fine as this is easily sorted and directly correlates to the painful bits (knobby bit on side of knee where hamstring and IT band attaches) and isn't arthritis or anything else that is age related (yet).

So you should all get stretching too, whether or not you currently have knee pain, in order to prevent such issues occurring as they always tend to manifest themselves at inconvenient moments....

Twice a day, before and after a ride!

That is all. :grin:
RIP

Re: Stretch

Post by RIP »

Peter Cook once explained that his rigourous and carefully worked out fitness regime might look to other people as if he was simply lighting a cigarette and lifting a coffee cup to his lips :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Al

Post by Al »

Yes. I tracked down lower back pain to hip flexors tightening from sitting too much stretching them out makes a massive difference.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I’ve taken to stretching ( it’s pretending to be yoga but …) I love it. Downward dog, low lunge is fab, Childs pose etc I’ve always been fairly flexible for a fat bloke, can put my palms flat on the floor when standing.
But when kneeling I CAN NOT sit on my feet. Haven’t been able to for years. Could as a kid but at 56… not happening. Puts loads of pressure on my knees.
But I’m certain stretching/yoga is really good for the body.
I enjoy Sean Vigue on YouTube.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:16 pm Peter Cook once explained that his rigourous and carefully worked out fitness regime might look to other people as if he was simply lighting a cigarette and lifting a coffee cup to his lips :smile: .
:grin: he wasn't then riding his bike for 200 miles though!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done Phil.. I too tracked down my sciatica to lack of stretching. Mainly (well it came to a head with) sitting for a 4 hour commute (then back) to work a few times when my hand/brain was forced. 15 years of lack of stretching and 200 mile rides in between. Then came the IT syndrome and a year later full on sciatica with a tight butt muscle..
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yes mum! :wink:

Actually, I've been a regular(-ish... I fall on and off that particular wagon) practicer of yoga since I started getting occasional sciatic pain years ago, but since a discussion with you (Phil) on here a while ago (does this make you an influencer?), I've branched out into pilates, which definitely feels like a good move (literally :lol: ). Though I occasional get twinges, it's been years (touch wood) since I had a proper episode where I have to be helped to the nearest chair. 15-20 minutes, even 10 if I really CBA, first thing in the morning, is the only way I can reliably get myself into the habit of doing it. I've just done a 20 minute core pilates workout this morning, though I did something painful to some muscle in my hip area in the process - that doesn't happen very often though.
Lemming

Post by Lemming »

Love this advice, are there any decent YouTube stretching videos anyone can recommend?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lemming wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:39 pm Love this advice, are there any decent YouTube stretching videos anyone can recommend?
Thousands.....
I've always followed physio advice so never delved too deeply. I'd have a look and try a few then work out what works best. Cycling weekly quite often comes up with some good exercises. I'd try to explain what I do but without pics would take ages. But hamstrings are easy - lie on back, one leg straight, other with knee bent towards chest, grab thigh behind knee and then try and straighten leg. Ouch....
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Lemming wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:39 pm Love this advice, are there any decent YouTube stretching videos anyone can recommend?
As mentioned in my earlier post … Sean Vigue on YouTube does all levels of yoga or Pilates for beginners/ intermediates / sports / men
He’s entertaining, not spiritual, not balancing your chakras or whatever, and always offers modifications for different abilities
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

I found the free Jessica Valant Pilates on YouTube very good although I now do actual Pilates classes at my gym.

Ref Knee pains
I’ve found using a roller on the side of my legs has really helped. Started off with a soft roller and gradually increased to doing it with a hard roller and it can be painful at the time but has kept me free of knee pain.

A friend I know who is a seriously good cyclist reckoned his average speed increased one year by about 10% and the only thing he has done differently from other years was that he had started doing yoga several times a week.

I guess it’s not rocket science to realise that the more mobile our body becomes through stretching etc the more efficient it will be 😀
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'd just try a few. But the ones I tend to use are Move with Nicole for pilates on YouTube, just because she's not overly annoying (Australian>American) and has a good variety of sessions that are reliable.

I also use Abi Carver's 15 minute yoga videos on PinkBike: https://m.pinkbike.com/u/yoga15app/channel/15TV/ She does a bit of breathing and some of them have a short meditation bit at the end, but no spiritual stuff and very clear. No ads either (nothing unaligna your chakras like an advert for the latest cryptocurrency or whatever BS). There's an 8 minute hip opening video on there with no warm-up or meditation or anything. I reckon if you did that everyday from nothing, you'd see an improvement pretty quickly. 8 minutes. What's 8 minutes?