Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by Moder-dye »

Nope. Not that cold here, only around -3c last night, likely to hit 2c max here today. It's been pretty cold and nippy northerly lately but blue skies, today the wind has dropped too, lovely out.

Off out for a careful spin in a bit to check a couple of bird hides for my next BAM. Don't want to arrive near dark and find they're locked or blown down :lol:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

All packed, 8x42 bins too, for an overnight on the Montrose basin. Due to get to -4c, but dry.

My planned bed for the night, the penthouse suite :-bd

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks good Moder. Currently procrastinating over whether to do my March Bivvy. I was determined to leave it until the last weekend to maximise daylight but it is quite sunny just now, but rather cold....
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh absolutely stunning sunny day here today, and due to be the same tomorrow, so decided to go for it despite the cold.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

So, March BAM is done.

Rode around 18km to a bird hide on the Montrose basin yesterday, a slightly more secluded one than my initial penthouse suite plan as with so many properties in the area I didn't want to raise alarm or suspicion with any lights on and off during the night. The farmers get a bit worried with lampers and people up to no good, so a bit of stealth means an uninterrupted sleep.

Just heading down into the valley of the South Esk...
Imagehost an image

The Bridge of Dun. I was surprised to see a common seal here, right at the tidal limit of the river...

Outside the Shelduck Hide. I left the loaded bike outside until dark in case anyone came along...

It was an absolutely stunning evening and sunset with very light winds and clear skies. As the tide started to drop the birds came in. I had over 20 mute swans drifting around and mumbling outside at one point.

Tea was a beef and onion butty, hot chocolate, plus this bad boy left over from an old French Army MRE, it was ace! Amazingly tasty and tender chunks of braised steak and macaroni...

Then it was bed and a super starry and icy night, but sadly no northern lights...

Morning just after 6am...

I didn't stay long after breakfast as it would be prime time for birders and dog walkers and took a slightly more convoluted route home (21km) via Kinnaird Castle Estate and checked out the Caledonian Railway yard for another BAM possibility!

So, a great Friday night out with amazing views and wildlife; roe deer (and captive red and fallow deer herd in the castle estate), hares, common seal, mute swans, shelducks, widgeon, redshanks, pink foot and grey lag geese, oyster catchers, curlew etc...

The only issue was missing the comfort of my hammock. I was warm enough, but my hip and shoulder were painful and waking me up regularly despite a decent exped mat. Not a long or hard ride, but even just the night away from home and bad nights sleep knocks me out for a few days with my health issues.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

looks a great bivy spot the only bird hide near me is hot spot for youths getting stoned...might be ok during the week i guess when its cold but never tried it ....this thread is making me tempted to try improvised bothies though
RIP

Post by RIP »

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Luxury! Looks a top shed that Moder.
Reg you can't have a go at anyone for utilising a shelter for a bivi - you once slept in someones garden shed! :grin:
Anyway I'm also a member of the BAM shed crew, with a few corkers in mind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:08 pm Luxury! Looks a top shed that Moder.
Reg you can't have a go at anyone for utilising a shelter for a bivi - you once slept in someones garden shed! :grin:
Anyway I'm also a member of the BAM shed crew, with a few corkers in mind.
Absolutely! Huge fan of stumbling (literally if we've been in the pub first) across random structures/shelters. There's something very satisfying about getting some kip in the apparently least promising and dilapidated places. As mentioned before though it's getting harder. Those sort of spots seem to get either tarted up or demolished. Nobody leaves anything to gently fade away over time any more.

Erm, hope it didn't seem I was having a go - the stoning photo was reference to Laz's post of course :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

So while we're on about sheds, as Croc Dundee (*) might have said: "Call that a shed? This is a shed".

Only a mile from my house. Lived here 33 years and never spotted it before. Added to BaM prospect list for earliest attention.

(*) if he came from Scotland (**) why did he have an Aussie accent?

(**) and do you have crocodylidae reptiles in Scotland? This is all rather mystifying.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Right... So I thought I best update this ere thread (or is it a sweater by now!?). So... I went and got myself a lovely little gift for our Karl after surviving the arctic (lovely little NF movie of protecting it here if you'd like. Well, I did'nt just buy it now but got myself two of when I bought my own in anticipation of who'd earn it.

In the spirit of dropping something off with Karl, he obviously wouldn't take kindly at stuff being posted when it could be ridden across. So I made myself a little route to his from mine yesterday. Being Karls just done 350 miles of -40, I couldn't bring myself to not ride across the Pennine Bridle Way. So route was made.

Now this am I got a message from Thermarest saying I should send back my 7 year old mat to their centre somewhere near Carlisle to have it sent to Ireland for repair or replacement (it's got some slow leak that I can't pinpoint - no pun intended - but it does have two patches that ain't leaking!).

So, that brings me to the current BAM. Obviously I don't wish to wait before sending it out. But I also need it back urgently. They've said it might take upto a month for the turnaround and I don't plan to buy another mat...

Best get packing and fettling very soon then hey.
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:08 pm Anyway I'm also a member of the BAM shed crew
Do you think we should contact that 'Men In Sheds' community help group?

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:23 pm So while we're on about sheds, as Croc Dundee (*) might have said: "Call that a shed? This is a shed".

Since it includes ground sheets , is it excluded.?
Under the pre erected Glamping clause? :ugeek: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nah not paying for it so is all good. Although you''re right, it is a bit glampy - there's even an art exhibition on the walls.

RIP

Post by RIP »

And a load of what looks like barley spread all over the floor. I have a feeling someone's been trying to set up their own illicit maltings.

Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Looks like you'd have a few little furry friends for company there :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think you're right :smile: .

On a related note I went to get my toolbags out of the shed the other day - got a couple of Fatmaxes amongst other things. They have quite a few useful little external pockets so I keep bits and bobs in those. Anyroad, I picked them both up and amusingly (not) there was a big clatter and I was presented with about twelve little heaps of small tools and other items on the shed floor! The bags looked ok but on closer inspection some rodenty-type beastie had chewed off the bottom of almost every pocket! The rest of each bag was untouched, as indeed was the big bag of rags, the paper towel rolls, and my overalls etc. Weird sort of mouse that prefers a polysomething toolbag over a nice comfy pile of rags!

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Do the shedders use Cuprinol instead of lube on their chains?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Naturally :smile: . I'm currently experimenting with a tarp made out of roofing felt.....

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Plus of course, there is the joy of wriggly tin :lol:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

RIP wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:23 pm (**) and do you have crocodylidae reptiles in Scotland?
The Loch Ness monster.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I thought Nessy was Plesiosauridae
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ray Young wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:52 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:23 pm (**) and do you have crocodylidae reptiles in Scotland?
The Loch Ness monster.
:smile: She certainly has a very long entry on Wikipedia, so no smoke without fire I reckon :smile: .

That shed is a bijou little cracker Phil, get it done!

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:07 pm Plus of course, there is the joy of wriggly tin :lol:
If you like wriggly tin you'll love this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/corrugatediron

Nearly 38,000 people on FB already do :shock: :shock:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

And....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ironclad-Joy-W ... 79&sr=1-14

Not a bad read but a bit lacking in detail on the places visited.