Cargo Bib Shorts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kuman

Cargo Bib Shorts

Post by Kuman »

I know we all love to strap stuff to our bikes...but do many of you use cargo bibs and what are your thoughts ?

Cheers
Michal
Instagram (mainly bike stuff) https://www.instagram.com/dizzy_cyclist/
Lazarus

Re: Cargo Bib Shorts

Post by Lazarus »

Not quite but my experience of shorts with pockets on a bike are soft things can be put in pockets - gloves for example
hard things cannot be put in them - phones for example as they bounce and bang and rub
i find a small bum bag more useful if i want things to be handy and easily reachable
YMMV
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve got some from the ‘expensive clothing company that shall not be named’ and like them a lot. The pockets are great for gels, bars, bananas (oh err) etc whilst riding. Also stuffing mitts etc into when stopped. They would hold a phone just fine - there’s no bumping around like baggy short pockets.
However I tend to only use them for shorter day rides now. On longer rides - 200km+ or multi day stuff I go for shorts without bibs. In terms of convenience and long term comfort - not having to get naked to the waist to take a crap or to p1ss successfully wins over having an un encumbered waist. In these circumstances I usually wear Trail shorts from the previously un mentioned clothing supplier that have modest pockets for small odds and ends and a decent phone pocket.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Yeah, Ralpha Core Cargos are great, think they do non bibs as well.

*edit* Forgot to say the pockets are fine for a phone. Also handy for stashing gps, etc. If you leave your bike at a shop/cafe, or when putting the bike away at the end of a ride.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Personally I don't see the point, and I'd rather not have pockets on my baggies either. Just extra material to make you hot.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Kuman

Post by Kuman »

I already own couple of core jerseys and trial shorts from above company. Was thinking of getting core cargo bibs or cargo shorts even for more toilet stop convenience on long trips.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I got some for the Tour Divide last year - Endura ones. Very comfy and the pockets were used occasionally for food when I couldn't fit it anywhere else. Also credit cards that I couldn't afford to lose. I don't find the pockets useful for everyday riding though - I use jersey pockets for normal stuff like phone, banana etc
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I never use the pockets in my cycling shorts, there are so many better ways of carrying stuff.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I occasionally use them for my Derringer - the dogs round here are hardcore.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Depends on the weather/ride. If its warm and I am a day ride or out mountain biking then I like wearing a technical t-shirt and bibed cargo shorts give me somewhere to stash stuff. I never use the leg pockets.

If you are considering running them under baggies you need to check how high the rear pocket placement is. My PedalEd ones don't play nice with baggies but Pearl Izumi are fine.

There a bit redundant if I am wearing a cycling top or on bikepacking trips where I use a running vest.
Kuman

Post by Kuman »

I already own Madison cargo liner for use with baggies. Rear pockets are good, quite high and difficult to access while riding but pad is comfy for longer distances. I like the idea of leg pockets for phone and snacks for quick access, I would most likely wear them with tech tee too.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I've been wearing some Galibier bib-tights all winter. They have a cargo pocket which I never use when setting off, but usually has something stuffed in there when I return. Often a phone or a multi tool, maybe a food wrapper or buff etc. It's quite a useful feature, but not something which would guide my choice of legwear.