I seem to be stuck for a wheel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: I seem to be stuck for a wheel

Post by redefined_cycles »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:31 pm All is well! Eventually. :-bd

It took me three goes to get the lacing-up right. Followed the instructions from the Wheel-Pro book but hit snags and didn’t have the knowledge to see where I’d gone wrong so it was easier just to strip and start again. Truing up in the bike frame was easy by comparison.

I was feeling pretty smug on completion, but brought down to size when I saw that in the Wheelpro video a wheel was laced in just seven minutes. :shock:

Dunnit now though - won’t be put off from doing another… :grin:
Well done sir. You are a true artist... I always look at wheels as being like a peice of art. You gotta take your time and be in that zone. Hope it rides excellent (which I'm sure it will if you followed the Wheel Pro chap).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:31 pm It took me three goes to get the lacing-up right. Followed the instructions from the Wheel-Pro book but hit snags and didn’t have the knowledge to see where I’d gone wrong so it was easier just to strip and start again. Truing up in the bike frame was easy by comparison.
Well done. I've just built a pair of wheels this weekend. Have done at least half a dozen before. I thought one of these might be the one I didn't make a mistake in the lacing... Alas it was not to be :roll: :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My worst lacing error was getting a 32 hole rim for a 28 spoke hub....realised only after I had stripped it and the 8 th spoke was not fitting....
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:11 pm
Thanks for the replies chaps. All I've got to do now is learn how to lace a wheel. This could end badly. It might be easier and safer to look for a complete wheel.
Align the new rim on top of the wheel and tape them together. Remove one spoke at a time from the wheel and place it into the appropriate hole in the new rim. Keep going until the rim becomes a wheel. It will need some truing but that's a skill that's easily picked up.
I just replaced the worn rim the front wheel of my commuter bike - wrapped tape around pairs of spokes, undid all of the nipples, then reversed the process for the new rim.

I feel, however, that I may be using your method, for the rear wheel, this weekend.

:-bd
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Just finished swapping the rim over, on my back wheel - cable-tied new rim alongside the old one, as per Stu's suggestion, and it was a lot easier than my previous method.

Cheers for the tip, Stu...

:-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I know I'm a bit late to the party,
My tips
  • Use a chamfered q-tip. When handling spoke nipples.
  • Oil the spoke nipples or spoke threads.
  • Use a spoke driver *
-i built my first wheels on a rohloff hub with hardly any lateral or concentric trueing required :-bd

*This spoke driver tool (see Roger Mussons book ), as mention before. :grin:
- (It make step1 fitting the nipples evenly on the spokes really quick easy. ) Rather than spin each spoke 8 times with a spoke key, 31 to go... :-O .. So you start with evenly tensioned wheel. Alleviating a lot of potential problems later, e.g. minimal lateral or concentric trueing :-bd

It essential a cheap 'medium sized' flat bladed screw, filed down at the top to leave a 1mm wide 3mm long protrusion in the centre.
(The cranked handle just made spinning on nipple a bit easier).

Or a clearer View from (ride-or-pie blog)
Image.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..