The Alternative Winter Event...

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: The Alternative Winter Event...

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'm gonna assume you couldn't actually see any waterfall but found the ditches :grin: How very unfortunate... I had been thinking to try and tackle these grid points and/or your route myself. But judging from how hard it was for you, I'm gonna give it a miss for the mo :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

that just where i lost the light battery so i saw the ressie and the ditches [ ish]

I actually bivvied at the little structure between Coolam and FB on the BW

Will get the donation sorted later tonight and send a screen shot
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Paid and sent you an e-mail - though i know you would have taken me at my word

Thanks for organising it i did enjoy the ride and got lucky with the weather
redefined_cycles

Just been out and got Frank Lane. Out for 9 hours (less 2 mins) but riding time was only 6 :o

Currently hurting a touch but managed my biggest ride since sciatica kicked in (and probably the biggest mtb ride for almost a year even). Will try and report back later as it was certainly another interesting one...
redefined_cycles

Frank Lane

Another one of my grid references fetched yesterday in which was my longest ride in ages. Sciatica type pain flared this morning but a bit of stretching and it's gone.

Tony had reported this in his Strava (taken from Tonys Strava images) and at about the same time I was also seeing something strange at the opposite side of Yorkshire. It started snowing lightly, but was still nice and warm. Didn't last too long though and an hour or so later I was wiggling the old toes to keep em warm.

Significance of this ride is that, ever since we left Huddersfield, I've always been a bit sad at the fact of losing the neighbouring Peaks and lots of local mtb. Wessenden Head was only 8 miles away but now it's more like 18! But yesterday, after looking at the OS map once more for some hidden tracks I may have missed, I think I managed to make a bit of a corker (Alhamdulillah).

As can be seen, I managed to grab more non-pave than one could shake a stick at. Good training for the upcoming Bearbones type mental rides! Took ages though and I was out for about 9 hours.

For context, regards the verse in my title above. This is the verse preceding it as Allah asks the reader to reflect on the rain water (previous verses) and then the fire that we kindle. As I say, just for context to make the current verse on yesterdays ride a bit clearer. Pronounced, 'a anthum - an - sha'thum - shaja - raw - thahaa - am - naH - nul - munshiun*' in arabic.

Before the ride, yesterday, both the daughter and the mum had comandeered me into not going out early. I was on, 'drop her to school duties'. So instead I came down bright and early and browsed the maps again and refined my route. The cat seemed to approve and I'd seen that Frank Lane was enroute, so it might aswell be another 'grid reference fetcher'.

Wasn't sure how to dress as weather was/is all over the place. So wore a few warm layers but decided to take the tennis-ball backpack. What a smart choice that was, as I was stripping down a jacket and winter gloves/hat in the first hour.

Had to dab here but generally managed to clear Back Lane all the way to the top (which is another 0.6 miles farther up) which hasn't happened for many many months, maybe years!

The view ahead.

Recently I've been losing my mojo of riding far. So had brought myself some milk, ti cup, coffee grinds and a big gas canister. It has a wider base does the JetBoil 250g can so I'm trying to get used to carry it instead and take the weight/volume penalty. At least I wouldn't be constantly trying to balance the stove/pot.

Significance of that pic is that I'd planned to only have my cuppa brewed on a bench. I've bivied near this bence before at some point I think and had funny looks whilst making my pasta in the early morn... Therefore this bench wasn't 'the one' and instead looked across with the binoculars at Black Hill (thanks Gian) which was a slog a year or 2 ago (and I now know why it's called Black Hill).

Cleared plenty of singletrack/doubletrack already and came to this. Beyond which is some lovely rocky riding to be had. Sadly my route wasn't made to go across it today, so I remained disciplined. The alternate route turned out to be lots of road, but at least it was heading in the right direction...

The epic view of the day. Stopped and took a pic as the chap to the right of the photo came and had a chat. Thought I was in trouble at first but he'd noticed my helmet light and told me how Schumacher had dided due to his head light and the resulting impact/forces when he'd crashed. Chap wa a motorbike himself and it was an interesting discussion. Told him that I had planned on getting some Sugru to get the light sitting closer to my head, which he felt was a bad choice. "At least you have a better chance of the torch snapping away" with the current adaptor, he suggested.

Was happy to see this and in the light of day and time on my hands, I investigated as to why I'd thought it was the Pennine Bridle Way when I'd first stumbled upon it (Alhamdulillah). Looking carefully I must have looked at the 'bridleway' wooden post and the 'Pennine' from 'Trans Pennine Trail', then combined em. Dyslexia brain... Who cares about the TPT (too much road) but at least this was a nice rocky uphill track.

It must've been refurbished for the roadies as the rocks seemed to have been re-laid. Even further up when the loose rocks came I managed to ride it all without too much grunting. I was either getting stronger or someone had done a full refurb! Not complaining, just saying!

Stunning views, but I couldn't stop to enjoy em. Prayer time was finishing soon and I'd put a dollop of honey in my water bladder. Thereby changing the water into cordial, which I already knew. But I was desperate to make ablution and had missed the Co-Op a few miles before when it had started to snow. So a quick call to my mate, the scholar and it was confirmed. I couldn't use that water to make ablution!

TBC

*https://youtu.be/kG7J7XstEfY (the full chapter can be heard here if anyone wishes).
redefined_cycles

Cont'd (take 2).

Running short of prayer time and needing water, fast! I spied this waterfall and enquired quickly from the locals (well, they were walking past) if it was accessible. They pointed me to the reservoirs as maybe they thought I was just going sight seeing and needed to see the water, 'fast' before the sun went down.

Steamed on at their alternative suggestions of 'the reservoirs'. But that one on the left seemed to need a 'Rambo 1st Blood' mission to get down to it. It seemed to be accesible via a walking path carved into the mountain side.

The water on the right though was Meal Hill. Hoping it was accessible when I reached nearby, I rode on (fast) down the hills.

Came across this stream instead and did my dues.

Said my prayers here (to The Lord of All the Worlds) and took a pic of this beauty. Significant piece being that carved out path down the side. Maybe it was the footpath to the other res! Gorgeous...

Got to Ox Lee Lane, which I've always wondered about it's terrain. I'd soon find out that it turns into sticky mud. But thankfully the temperature and the dry few weeks made it bearable.

Decided this would be, 'the bench'. So brewed my coffee and then wondered how to store the cotton-mesh bag without it going all over my Wildcat framepack.

redefined_cycles

The answer to my last Q. My innocent little milk bottle.

The moon was out so I could use my new shiny head torch soon.

Then it became steessful for a bit. Perfect training for Octobers BB200 if I'm fit enough (and still here).

Found Frank Lane and thankfully only one big puddle to avoid. Then the dog in the distance started barking at my lights. So I turned em off and had a wee.

Almost got lost and a bit stressed here as I'd lost the path. Turned out it was hidden to the side of the freshly tilled muddy field.

In comes, 'the footpath'. But someone had mysteriously removed the signs. Electrical wire all around and every so often along the path was some twine. Which I appropriately went under but careful not to touch it in case it too was wire that I'd not spotted.

But this farmer was adamant that you were not 'footpathing' it across his or her land. Saw this mud and decided to try and ride across. So mounted the bike and went for it. Thankfully I stopped early before I got knee deep in cow-poo. Only my shoes were soiled and I made it to safety. Decided to try and get across at the edge as I'd only have a two metre section of poo to manage. But my bike tyre was soon electrocuted and I decided against it.

Reminded me of my ex wife. Even after getting a court order to manage to see my little one. All she'd say is, 'well, he's poorly what do you want me to do'. With some pieces of rubbish, you just can't win. I turned round and walked the walk of shame. I could hear the farmer lady from afar sayijg a few choice words. But I'd checked the OS maps and it was definitely a public right of way.

Got back to safety (from the cow poop) and indeed. Seemed that this landowner was a frequent 'tosser'. Was it any point contacting the RoW people. Probably not as how do you manage to get across the poop once the way is all free. Oh well....

Got home and gave the bike and my boots a good wash with the shiny new outside tap. Then managed the aches and pains with a hot then freezing cold shower. Seems to have worked wonders Alhamdulillah....
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

You got out, well done. :-bd
But some times... :???:
sub standard happens. 💩 :shock:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:20 pm You got out, well done. :-bd
But some times... :???:
sub standard happens. 💩 :shock:
Lesson learnt... Yorkshire farmers aintto be messed with. Last situation I had like this and the farmer had thrown trees all across the path. Up near the plane after Dryclough... Naturally I tried to HAB it but the farmer was nice and came and explained why/what he'd done (was on a stand off with the council due to snotty quad bikers trying to get through!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Was it any point contacting the RoW people
They are pretty good my way when I have complained ( Barbes wire over the styles for example ).
I once got can you read ( had a private sign up) so went with my stock reply of

" Yes I can what do you need help with ?"
They ranted I pointed out that I could read the OS map.
Personally I would complain
redefined_cycles

Thanks Jon. Thankfully there is a number. I'll give em a call and speak to a human (hopefully).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Next one! :grin:
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:31 pm
Was it any point contacting the RoW people
They are pretty good my way when I have complained ( Barbes wire over the styles for example ).
I once got can you read ( had a private sign up) so went with my stock reply of

" Yes I can what do you need help with ?"
They ranted I pointed out that I could read the OS map.
Personally I would complain
I did by calling the number which didn't work. Used the net to get the right number and put through by operator to the appropriate dept. Lady sounded very irate that I'd come to the wrong dept. Then started helping with my query but still talking with a bit of a tone.

Told me there was no footpath on that there farm. I told her that I was looking at the ipdated OS map and it was a short dashed line eading to a long dashed one. She told me that they don't use OS but the councils own system!!

In the end somehow she decided the footpath was indeed there. Her tone changed to a much gentle sympathetic one. Obviously I never told her I was on a HAB. Took my details and email and that was that. Doubt you can manage ignorant farmers like that to be honest (the cow poo looked to have been dumped deliberately as it was focused onto that section of the path but no above it where the cows were chilling!!

Doubt I'll go there again but it's been reported so lets see what comes of it. Reason I inckuded it was that the OS maps stated there was remnants of a castle behind it!