Seam sealing questions advice sort please.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Seam sealing questions advice sort please.

Post by JohnClimber »

Please can you help and advise me?

After a poor night sleep on last night's bivi.
Which I put to being on my tapered non insulated air mattress (which fits in the tapered bivi bag) over my go to rectangular and wider Nemo insulated mattress I need to take the taper out of my Alpkit Kloke bivi bag.

1) Where can I buy a few square feet of similar material to my Kloke bivi and and what's it called too.
Can I be cheeky and ask for a Web link directly to the one that you recommend please?

2) Which tape do I need to buy to seal the seams once the to pieces of material have been sown together please?

3) If I need to iron it on what sort of setting does it need on as not to melt the fabrics?

Thanks for your help and advise.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Seam sealing questions advice sort please.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Why not simply put the mat on the outside of the bivvy bag (use a groundsheet obviously) and save yourself the trouble of wrecking an expensive bivvy bag :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:26 pm Why not simply put the mat on the outside of the bivvy bag (use a groundsheet obviously) and save yourself the trouble of wrecking an expensive bivvy bag :wink:
But what about when it rains if a tarp in not used?

Also my sleeping bag fits over the mattress, hence the problem.
https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... untry-bed/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But what about when it rains if a tarp in not used?
Why would you ... unless you can guarantee no rain.

If you must ..... I've never seen a Kloke first hand but given the spec on the website, I'm assuming this must be similar. It's a 3 layer fabric but AK suggest there's is 10D whereas this is 6D and 7D: https://www.adventurexpert.com/product/ ... ncrements/ Hard to tell on pics quite what material looks like so how good a match it would be, I don't know.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Thanks Stuart,
The only reason for thinking about this is that I know that I won't use the Kloke any more with a tapered mattress.
I do like to bivi bag every so often instead of my Luna Solo depending on the trip type.

The Kloke is brilliant, but I know that I won't use it if my go to mattress and my sleeping bag (which lock together) wont fit in to it.

So, by cutting a slit in the back and widening it by sowing in a triangle of extra material to make it into a rectangular bivi bag I've got nothing to loose.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps Alpkit would have a piece of material big enough John - maybe a bag that got returned / damaged or such?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Have you approached Alpkit to do the modification?
That way it will still be breathable ,tape- sealed l and warrantied.

All it takes is a crease and a mis-stitch (after double checking :geek: ) and you have a extra line of needle holes in a panel. Aka a leak)
(Don't ask me how I know). :oops:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:50 am Perhaps Alpkit would have a piece of material big enough John - maybe a bag that got returned / damaged or such?
I have that they had emailed back saying which store has seconds, which h I'll call tomorrow
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ledburner wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:20 am Have you approached Alpkit to do the modification?

All it takes is a crease and a mis-stitch (after double checking :geek: ) and you have a extra line of needle holes in a panel. Aka a leak)
That's a good idea, I'll email them again
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ledburner wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:20 am Have you approached Alpkit to do the modification?

I asked them (Hathersage) and it's £100 to try and do it with no guarantee as they've not done it before
Boab

Post by Boab »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:39 pm I asked them (Hathersage) and it's £100 to try and do it with no guarantee as they've not done it before
Shirley it would be easier to flog your Kloke and buy a new bivvy that would take your existing mat...? The Backcountry Bivy 3000 claims it'll fit a Backcountry Bed and 6cm mat. 🤷
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Boab wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:44 am
JohnClimber wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:39 pm I asked them (Hathersage) and it's £100 to try and do it with no guarantee as they've not done it before
Shirley it would be easier to flog your Kloke and buy a new bivvy that would take your existing mat...? The Backcountry Bivy 3000 claims it'll fit a Backcountry Bed and 6cm mat. 🤷
That's what I'll be doing.
Just waiting for Ultralight Outdoor to test it for me with the gear I've bought off them.
They said that they would do it to save a return and refund issue.

Hoping to hear back from them tomorrow and place my order
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Kloke, Numo, Hunka XL all sold money cover's the new bivi, Thanks lads

Sierra Designs Backcountry Bivvy 3000 in a long length to fit the wide mattress in a nice green colour ordered today.
The Bivi is built about the very same sleeping bag that I have.

I just hope it's as good as I hope that it says that it is
Boab

Post by Boab »

Will be interested to see what you make of it. I'm still torn between getting the minimum required to pas the must have something to sleep in for things like the BB200, and getting something I want to actually use occasionally. That one seems like a reasonable compromise...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.