XXL Bivi Bags without a taper

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

XXL Bivi Bags without a taper

Post by JohnClimber »

Now I've found my perfect sleep system for the majority of the year in the
Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 20 Down Sleeping bag and the Nemo Tensor insulated regular wide sleeping mat.

https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... untry-bed/

Now I need to find the perfect bivi bag to work with these two and I wonder if you know which bag I need to get please?
One that can survive a shower or rainstorm like my Alpkit Kloke without the need of a tarp over the top, but not one with hooped head like the Elan Bivi etc.
But remembering that the bag and mattress work best joined together, so no mattress outside of the bivi bag suggestions please.
The mattress is rectangular measuring a chunky 72" x 25" x 3.0" deep, so it won't fit in tapered bags

Now I have 4 bivi bags (bloody hell)
Joe's shop white tyvex bivi bag but tapered so won't work with the Nemo
Alpkit Kloke - perfect at the shoulders but tapered so won't work with the Nemo
Alpkit Hunka XL - needs to be around 20% bigger as the depth of the mattress crushes the down of the bag completetly flat when I lay on my side so kills the insulation and on my back my toes crush the insulation flat too.
Borah Bivi bag with the side entry and large midge net is perfect - But it's not waterproof so needs a tarp

This photo was from last weekend using an Alpkit Numo mattress with my Sierra Designs sleeping bag, but I didn't sleep well because couldn't get as comfy as I do on the Nemo wide mattress.
I was thinking of having the taper taken out of the Alpkit Kloke, but that's £100 and with a chance of ruining a perfectly good bivi bag.

So, please can you help me find my perfect lightweight, non tapered, very breathable bivi bag to use over the sleep system that I use?

If I find it I'll be selling off my other bivi bags if you are interested in helping me fund the new one.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: XXL Bivi Bags without a taper

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon most have a degree of taper. However, most of the heavier (relative) eVent Rab bags are very roomy. (not the Alpine)

Are Borah still making their eVent bag? I recall that was quite spacious.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:19 pm Are Borah still making their eVent bag? I recall that was quite spacious.
Their website says "Currently unavailable" :roll:
psling

Post by psling »

The obvious one John would be the Sierra Designs Backcountry 3000 https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/bac ... ifications.

I have the 'long' and it is a roomy bag for my 6ft 16 stone bulk with air mattress inside. Usual waterproof / breathable compromise, it's waterproof when fully closed, less condensation when opened up!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Not the lightest option but look at a British or Dutch (and probably many other) military bivi bag. They are generously sized to take into account a squaddie sleeping in his boots cuddling a weapon.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Not the lightest option but look at a British or Dutch (and probably many other) military bivi bag. They are generously sized to take into account a squaddie sleeping in his boots cuddling a weapon.
I have a Dutch single hoop version from years ago, base is very heavy pu coated nylon. Upper is excellent lightweight (for the time ) goretex. Spacious, easily fit me in at 6'3" with plenty of space for kit

Heavy and doesn't pack small, great if you are doing squaddie activities, I am not planning on using for bike packing
ton

Post by ton »

i have a goretex military one. it was a gift from Shaf.
it is massive. about 7ft long and 6ft wide. roomy even with me inside.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

riderdown wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:43 pm
I have a Dutch single hoop version from years ago, base is very heavy pu coated nylon. Upper is excellent lightweight (for the time ) goretex. Spacious, easily fit me in at 6'3" with plenty of space for kit

Heavy and doesn't pack small, great if you are doing squaddie activities, I am not planning on using for bike packing
Heavy for sure. I’d not be bikepacking with one but if you want a big bivi at a good price they certainly fit the bill.
If you have silly money to spend look at Carinthia. They do full-retard special forces type gear including enormous 2.5m long bivi bags that cost north of £500 and weigh more than a kilo.
For example: https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/carinthia- ... bivvy-bag/
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Borah Snowyside like Stu said. Bloke behind it was lovely when I dealt with him. I'd email and ask. Probably a bit ££££ given £ to $ and import lottery.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Heavy for sure. I’d not be bikepacking with one but if you want a big bivi at a good price they certainly fit the bill.
I mused about getting the base redone in something lighter, it would still be heavy (size is part of that) but the goretex used is about as breathable as it gets. Use a 20d groundsheet as a replacement for the heavy duty one. Seam sealing would be the challenge
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Have you thought of a Zelter shelter ? Not the lightest but I think the extra is worth it
For its versatility, the newer version has a wider “ foot flap”, it has a vent, extremely
Weatherproof, tough, packs relatively small, only thing I need to sort for mine is some
Kind of mossie net for the opening but that should prove easy enough?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

psling wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:26 pm The obvious one John would be the Sierra Designs Backcountry 3000 https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/bac ... ifications.

I have the 'long' and it is a roomy bag for my 6ft 16 stone bulk with air mattress inside. Usual waterproof / breathable compromise, it's waterproof when fully closed, less condensation when opened up!
Saw that after posting,
Would the long one fit my Nemo rectangular 3" deep mattress please?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Military one is HUGE but also quite heavy. Very robust though

The Borah snowyside one is great, I have one (not for sale :grin: ). Although the opening/midge net set up isn't as good as the normal chest zip. I don't use it very much, generally only when I'm planning not to use a tarp AND i think there's a chance of rain
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:37 pm Not the lightest option but look at a British or Dutch (and probably many other) military bivi bag. They are generously sized to take into account a squaddie sleeping in his boots cuddling a weapon.
I have a new and unused British Goretex Bivvy Bag. I cannot get a long and wide Thermarest and a synthetic sleeping bag in it comfortably and I'm 6'1 and 13 stone. Also packed it's bigger and heavier than my bicycle 7 tarp. Bought it and tried it on the lounge floor some years ago and never then used it in anger. Yours if you want it John. :smile:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

MLD Soul in eVent, great bags, sadly Ron doesn't offer a dcf base anymore but still very good with the silnylon bathtub
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

psling wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:26 pm The obvious one John would be the Sierra Designs Backcountry 3000 https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/bac ... ifications.

Thanks
Oreded this very same bag, should be here on Saturday morning
A shout of to Ultralight outdoors (the online shop) for testing the set up with the gear that I bought previously to see if they all work together
Finger crossed
jBay

Post by jBay »

Did it work out?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

jBay wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:46 pmDid it work out?
Yes it did, the long one works perfectly.
Everything fits inside perfectly, especially the wide rectangular matrress.

The kitchen test went very well, but I've not used it on a wild camp as yet.
That's planned for the Easter Weekend
jBay

Post by jBay »

How was the Easter Weekend field test, Monday looked like a good testing day.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

jBay wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:54 pm How was the Easter Weekend field test, Monday looked like a good testing day.
Hi jBay,

It was brilliant, the bivi bag worked perfectly with the mattress and the same sleeping bag.

More info here on this link
https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... try-bivvy/

And the first review of the bag and mattress is here on this link below
https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... untry-bed/