Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by Lazarus »

my pics are just copying the address from strava so you can do it that way as well - unless its just me who can see them
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Moder-eye, Boab, Lazarus: thanks for that. Will have a look a bit later, just sorting out my tea.
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Feb BAM...26th...14 of 14...
A bit late, been busy.

So many of my BAM's have been a mystery as to where one will pitch. Sunday nights trip was no exception.

My original plan to travel up to Penkridge for the Big Midlands Cycle Market Jumble that day, meet up with my mucker Dave, then bike somewhere in Staffs. for a wild camp.
So we did the jumble, bought some stuff (got me an On One 'Jones h-bar' type handlebar! and a cycle/hike waist bag (another belated discovery some 10-20 years late) ), Dave got a high pressure pump.

Change of plan hereon in, Dave was booked for a live interview with Radio Leicester at 1640, regarding his career as a songwriter and singer!
Following a damned good showing :-bd Dave was certainly up for celebrating :YMPARTY: . Many congratulations Dave and wishing you all the best in your future music career :YMAPPLAUSE:

Still daylight we biked 4 miles to his chosen destination. The Bridge Inn at Brewood. We alighted round the back, there's a car park, and beyond a grass area ideal for our wild camp. Drawn to a covered area with tables and chairs on an astro turf floor we settled, quaffing pints of Old Empire IPA. Certainly tickles the parts!
Conversation flowed in such a buoyant mood, particularly for Dave.
Without malice aforethought I light heartedly mentioned how good it would be to camp on the astro turf. The seed was sown. Another pint ordered, but we missed the opportunity to seek permission. Ordering the next pint we discussed who would ask Helen the landlady. I took the mantle and wooed Helen with some surprising lines. She was totally receptive to our request, but hit me hard with tales from her 'back in the day' girl guides camping. I revelled in her tales of hardship and old empirical ways. Walking to the lat (latrine) across a sheep field barefooted, then returning to the fully populated large ridge tent covered in poor show :YMAPPLAUSE: Hanging wellies upside down on sticks embedded in the ground. Lifting the sides of the tent during the day to air the ground. I felt in awe and love, certainly humbled by Helen, a hardcore lady completely connected with our ethos.

So there we were, our genuine intentions to use the area of grass, now gone, unashamedly pitching our tents on astro grass under cover. The benefits: flat pitch, chairs for tent pegs, cover from rain, getting in some glamping :o !! I retired to bed, excited to use my Vaude Bivi tent again, been a long time. Dave continued with his celebrations, I know my whisky, that I couldn't touch for too much beer, was all gone in the morn!

Dave surfaced lateish , one could certainly see his commitment to the celebratory cause :lol:
We survived a cold, hardcore night in luxurious surroundings.

Last edited by NeilA on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
We are rapidly heading for a 'cheekiest place to bivvy' award this year, and one that Reg won't take by default!
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:40 pm :-bd
We are rapidly heading for a 'cheekiest place to bivvy' award this year, and one that Reg won't take by default!
:o I must say a slightly easier attempt for an award, albeit unplanned, than some of my previous escapades!!
Sponsored by Alpkit
RIP

Post by RIP »

The year is yet young gents, I'm only just getting warmed up! :grin: . Aqueduct is the benchmark from last year. Or those people's garden shed maybe.

But yep, nice one Neil, that's what it's all about :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:33 pm The year is yet young gents, I'm only just getting warmed up! :grin: . Aqueduct is the benchmark from last year. Or those people's garden shed maybe.

Thank you Reg, I look forward to moments of sheer brilliance from you and whoever :YMPARTY:
Sponsored by Alpkit
RIP

Post by RIP »

NeilA wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:49 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:33 pm The year is yet young gents, I'm only just getting warmed up! :grin: . Aqueduct is the benchmark from last year. Or those people's garden shed maybe.

Thank you Reg, I look forward to moments of sheer brilliance from you and whoever :YMPARTY:
Trying to blag a spot at a pub is a good game as you've obviously sussed, with the bonus you get to chat up the barlady/barman :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

psling

Post by psling »

Nice write up NeilA :-bd

I'm particularly liking the Launderette service available, I can certainly see the benefits of that during certain rides.

Reg is too humble, I have witnessed him spending the night in a very similar pub marquee; a night of torrential rain I might add. No astro-turf, just tarmac.

One question though - why the need for tent and bivvy bag under cover?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I was thinking that too... Lets all start guessting before Niel gets back with the right answer. I'm going with...

1. Cos it's bivy a month so he don't wanna forfiet in case Reg pulls out some rule from the name.

2. Cos the ground was a bit soggy :lol:
psling

Post by psling »

Or 3. After all the alcohol consumed the previous night they didn't actual realise they were in a marquee until the next morning? :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 am Or 3. After all the alcohol consumed the previous night they didn't actual realise they were in a marquee until the next morning? :wink:
:lol:

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Or 4. To preserve a degree of satorial modesty and not the distress delicate sensibilities their host :roll:

(Blumin' Eck where did that come from?)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

psling wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 am Or 3. After all the alcohol consumed the previous night they didn't actual realise they were in a marquee until the next morning? :wink:
No... but then they'd have dug stakes into the poor chaps/chappetes cheap/fake lawn :smile:
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Beautiful theories chaps =)) , will answer you all the morrow with a full press conference, off out tonight, btw my attempt at pulling the landlady failed :d
Sponsored by Alpkit
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

psling wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:40 am One question though - why the need for tent and bivvy bag under cover?
Lol, Good question psling.
During the evening our conversation briefly touched on sleeping without our shelters. A tumbleweed moment signified no interest whatsoever so hence our full wild camp set up o:-)
In hindsight I made the right choice. I love the pic of our camp and will treasure it as much as any of my top of the mountain pics :X
And indeed to witness a drink ravaged Dave emerge in the morn from his tent was priceless :YMSICK:
Finally i do believe Dave was going to use his brand new never used before tent regardless.
And recent repatriation with my Vaude Bivi tent engendered a similar emotion!
Sponsored by Alpkit
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:49 am

I was thinking that too... Lets all start guessting before Niel gets back with the right answer. I'm going with...

1. Cos it's bivy a month so he don't wanna forfiet in case Reg pulls out some rule from the name.

2. Cos the ground was a bit soggy :lol:
Lol :lol: redefined cycles.
1. I hadn't considered point number 1 but indeed very interesting.
Although I had a previous bivvy trip on 26th to fall back on, but decided this trip with Dave would create more material :cool: and give him a BAM hit as well. In fact with my last day BAM culture getting in an early trip gives one more scope to do more, and cover a late month no show.
2. And yes, it was wet cos I plonked me self half in and half out of cover to get a spirit level sleep position!!
Sponsored by Alpkit
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

ledburner wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:51 am Or 4. To preserve a degree of satorial modesty and not the distress delicate sensibilities their host :roll:

(Blumin' Eck where did that come from?)
:lol: another good point, what scene would the cleaner witness arriving for her duties early doors :wink:
Sponsored by Alpkit
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

After finding out that the epicentre of the recent earthquake in Wales was just about where our SWWB bivvy spot had been it seemed like a good reason to go and have a look to see if there had been any damage to the old buildings at Trefil quarry . So away up the old tramroad from Talybont to the junction .
ImagePXL_20230304_162438276 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I was going to carry on along the tramroad to the quarry but having had a real struggle getting a loaded bike past the landslip last year I decided to go further up and drop to the quarry the same way we went in December which allows for the classic views but not in today's light . You have to look hard but the buildings we investigated are still there in the same condition .
ImagePXL_20230304_170535968 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I had the intention of stopping somewhere next to the Taff trail in the woods after Pontsticill with about an hour's daylight left I went on the bridleway to Pant I had never done this last section before as I have always gone down the bridleway that comes out by the dam . The old quarries I went through had some great places for a rest with amazing views back to the mountains though there is obviously a lot of motorcycle activity so a careful choice of spot would be required :smile: Reg, Peter and myself had received a very warm welcome at the Butcher's Arms in the village a while back so something to eat and some rehydration seemed like a good idea unfortunately the Pub was packed as was the other one so the food and beer I had with me would have to do . The place I vaguely remembered wasn't to far on the way I was looking out for somewhere to stop but before long I was there though nothing I remembered was I was sure it was a grassy area with a picnic table now a turning circle still it was quiet and flat .
ImagePXL_20230305_065515712 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I had a great night's sleep and was awake around 6.15 I rolled over and saw red light playing around on the bikes handlebars a real WTF moment I looked up and saw two red lights waving around sometimes into the woods and sometimes directly at me . Act innocent and see what happens then a few minutes later two elderly people pulling a trolley stopped across from me and were doing something I spoke but didn't get any response , at this point I had to reconsider
" the you are the nutter in the woods theory " .
They disappeared down the track to the bridge and shortly later reappeared so I tried talking again this time I got a response they initially thought I was a load of rubbish that had been dumped :???: a statement that probably contains some truth . I can only assume that they have a key to the barrier as it must have been a mile or two to the road a long way to pull the trolley , they were putting food out for the birds . I had noticed lots of feeder's alongside the track the previous evening with what looked like fatballs in them .
ImagePXL_20230305_065453674 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The doughnut took some resisting .
As I was enjoying breakfast in bed a dog walker came by and told me that they feed the birds every Sunday good on them . I went off to explore a few dead ends and a few that weren't and had a fun ride back to breakfast number 2 .
ImagePXL_20230305_113244485 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
3/12 for this year .
redefined_cycles

Nice one Kev. Enjoyed that. Pant, brings back some memories as I always look at it on the map when making routes past it. Not sure if I've travelled through yet as I may have thought it to be pants... I now know it's obvoously not, but will need the mtb. :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Just reading this Kev put the hairs up on the back of muly neck!!!
And then such an innocent explanation....

Nice one!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

When you go in pubs and cafes what do you all do with your bikes?
I dread to think how many thousands of pounds there are on two easily rollable wheels
Oh and I sneaked mine in very early this month - see write up [ yet to do] on
The alternative Winter Bivvy - short version very sub optimal emergency pitch and it snowed[just] stayed dry and toasty warm [ bless the wind gods for having a day of rest as i was at 450 m with loads of wind farms]
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

When solo, usually locked in sight to whatever is available, with the world's most pathetic ski lock thingy that even a granny could snap. But just a deterrent for opportunist.

In :busier'places with a pal we've taken turns going in the shop while one waits with the bikes.

No Self respecting scally would steal my hard tail, maybe the Topstone though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes, just the tiny wire combi lock. Deterrent only. Stick it in top gear too. Have been known to take it into the pub/cafe as well.

Nice ride Kev. Never mind the doughnut, surprised you didn't fry up some of the birds' bacon rinds mate :grin:

RIP

Post by RIP »

Anybody out in that bracing -14 in Scotland last night? Light snow here darn sarf at the moment.