Bike in a cardboard box on a train

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jobro

Bike in a cardboard box on a train

Post by jobro »

I'm intending doing the Badger divide in June from Inverness. I had hoped to take the overnight train up from the south coast but when I went to book it said no bikes were allowed on the train except for folders.
So my question is, can I take my bike apart and put it into a cardboard box? Does this then go on the train as luggage? Does it go with me in the compartment like a suitcase?
Any advise from those who have done this would be most welcome.
Thanks
lune ranger

Re: Bike in a cardboard box on a train

Post by lune ranger »

Which train?
Caledonian Sleeper takes bikes:

https://www.sleeper.scot/travelling-with-bikes/

As do LNER, Avanti West Coast, GWR and (?) all trains in the UK outside of dedicated commuter services. It may be a massive pain in the arse but it’s doable with a complete bike.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jobro

Post by jobro »

Which train?
Caledonian Sleeper takes bikes:
Following your link I can get a bike on. Thanks. Wont bother with Trainline again!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

That’s good. Once you get past the pain taking bikes on the train is quite satisfying :roll:
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Somewhat nerve wracking on the west coast mainline though, since you're always wondering if they'll actually remember to let you off.
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:05 am Somewhat nerve wracking on the west coast mainline though, since you're always wondering if they'll actually remember to let you off.
Tip: leave by the door at the other end of the bike coach ('Quiet' coach) and stand there blocking it until the platform dudes come and open the bike door :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:09 am
PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:05 am Somewhat nerve wracking on the west coast mainline though, since you're always wondering if they'll actually remember to let you off.
Tip: leave by the door at the other end of the bike coach ('Quiet' coach) and stand there blocking it until the platform dudes come and open the bike door :wink: .
Good thought
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:36 am
RIP wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:09 am
Good thought
Usually works, they ain't going nowhere while you're there. Having said that, if you're at the driving end going north, sometimes the driver comes out into the bike compo to open the door from the inside in which case they'll be waiting for you and you're outside at the other end of the carriage - stalemate!

One time, I lost my nerve and actually wheeled my bike down the aisle to the other end door and exited there, which produced some baffled looks from the Normals :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I had to pull the emergency stop once at Lancaster because the train started to pull off without letting me out despite reminding the guard at Preston.
WSC