Trousers for wearing post cycling on bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Trousers for wearing post cycling on bikepacking

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, for me the whole post ride 'casual' clothing question just never arises. I might stop at 6pm and get something to eat in a pub but I'll do so in whatever I'm wearing. I'll mooch around camp in whatever it is I ride in and generally remove it when I climb into my bag for the night. Perhaps some depends on the attire you choose to ride in? I'm a baggy shorts, flat shoes and jacket kind of man, so don't tend to feel too out of place where none cyclists are.

I've kind of got visions of people stopping, pitching camp and getting changed before heading out for the evening ... that's well beyond my scope :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
HUX

Post by HUX »

I seem to remember taking a self ironing shirt on the Tuscany Trail with me for some reason. Just because I had the room I think. Actually it came with me across spain aswell🙄 I could have ridden in it I suppose :roll:
psling

Post by psling »

It's no effort to carry a tie for dinner; they are minimal weight and certainly meet the 'multi-uses' TLS bike packing mantra. Have some class :lol: :lol: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I seem to remember Matt & Taylor bringing tuxedos to one Welsh Winter Bivi :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

If you have a look through the 'bargain rails' of one of the outdoor stores, they usually have plenty of options for not very much dinero ££

I've only ever took long trousers for a bit of extra warmth when knocking around a bothy on a cold night, or on long (several days/weeks) trips to look a bit more presentable in the eve..
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've a pair of alpkit leggings with all sorts of pockets etc. Not very warm, oddly to me. Best things for doing stuff and using around "camp", particularly packrafting.

Have several pairs of BAM leggings. Cut / sizing or my big bum makes them much more "legging-like" so leave little to imagination. I'm ambivalent to that but a pair of shorts might save someone's blushes :lol: Great insulators, sleep wear but less so for shinning up hills (good under bike shorts for more warmth. Dries OK but not as easily as the Alpkits.

"Summer weight" walking trousers - pick your poison but a bit redundant if riding, IMO.

Personally I find i need to get out of wet, sweaty, gritty stuff and give the boys some air for general long term trip comfort. Sitting around in riding gear might work for some but not me, YMMV. Hell, maybe a sari is the answer :grin:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm a baggy shorts, flat shoes and jacket kind of man
Sorry, had to be done. :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

:lol: :lol:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

On the odd trip I might through in a pair of lightweight shorts (cheapest Decathlon ones from their trekking section are fairly lightweight) when bikepacking, usually so I can give the cycling shorts a rinse and the nether regions a breather.

For sea kayaking though I got a pair of cheap Hi Gear trekking trousers from Go Outdoors for mooching about camp etc. They weigh in at 265g. Wearing the same salt encrusted sweaty clothing gets pretty rank after a few days! Normally under the waterproof trousers/drysuit I'd be wearing either Ron Hills or Lifa long johns so something looser fitting is nice.

Recently got (for general use mind), though they might fit the requirements are Decathlon Domyos (gym section) Pantalon 500, which are bit like the tracksuit bottoms of twenty years ago. The weigh in at 253g,

Edit to add: I think they are these ones.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-fit ... 76&c=BLACK
or maybe these ones:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-reg ... 365&c=BLUE
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Johnallan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:31 pm I've just ordered a pair of waterproof shorts from decathlon for 25 quid. If I'm happy with the fit and pack size, these will be my emergency rain wear and double as civilian clothing for longer rides.
Scratch that. Delivered and the fit is rubbish so they're going back :lol:
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:15 am Never felt the need for any post ride clothing personally.
Not a pleasant thought.

For me I have my rab lingjohns/PJs for bothy wear or if I really feel I need to dress up decathlon do some great very lightweight shorts.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I normally take my Altura ‘winter cruiser’ leggings for changing into when I stop. The are nice and warm so double up for something clean to sleep in if it’s chilly. They aren’t clingy like ‘tights’ so are just about passable if you needed to mix with normal people :lol:

They are almost worn out though and unfortunately are no longer made :sad: The Ron Hill tracksters look to be similar so might try them next.
Last edited by rudedog on Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:57 pm Image
The gift that keeps giving! :lol: :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I was going to recommend Montane Featherlite pants but it seems that they no longer make them. Fwiw, they're superb, packing down smaller than an apple, being comfy to wear, quick drying and looking more respectable than Ron Hills etc.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

More (only) a thing for me during long distance hiking on routes that took us into/past towns and options to do some sort of laundry, was using wind pants. In my case eg Montbell Dyno pants. Similar can be found at Patagonia.