No Sheep 'Til Buxton

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JimmyG

Re: No Sheep 'Til Buxton

Post by JimmyG »

Nice one Reg (& Co). Brilliant write-up and pics from what was clearly a fun-packed weekend! :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

This month's Bam is number 50 so when Reg suggested chasing sheep around the Peak District it seemed like a good way to tick it off . I arrived in Macclesfield early enough to find somewhere to park close to the station got sorted out then got sorted out again as one does :smile:
As soon as I got to the station I was bollocked for having the helmet light on and for being in the way fortunately Lu appeared and we had a chat and awaited the arrival of our guide . Reg was soon with us and we were off on the first leg to the fish and chip shop on the other side of the road for very good food and entertainment as we were eating the subject of pubs came up obviously once you start talking about them you have to find one and we struck lucky . Now the climb to the bivvy spot when two apparently suitable overnight options presented themselves given the choice I will nearly always take the outside choice .Reg and Lu kindly rode a fair bit further up the hill to show me the bivvy spot then returned to their respective hovels . It was windy and wet but I slept fitfully and stayed dry .
ImagePXL_20230218_073554422 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
With perfect timing my riding buddies arrived just as I finished packing and off we went for some of the most enjoyable riding I have done for ages .
ImagePXL_20230218_091519498 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The café was just around the corner or more accurately a corner somewhere well the corner finally arrived and a very good breakfast was enjoyed while talking to the local expert on Shire horses and her granddaughter's while it rained outside . Saddled up and away for a short hop to a very cute and well stocked honesty café for more sustenance where it also rained while we were inside as we left this very appropriate sign was on the side of the track .
ImagePXL_20230218_123034449 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Monsal Dale next where after a little persuasion I managed to drag Reg and Lu away from the café before they could go in and we went up and down the trail wondering at the marvels of the engineering while being horrified by the cruelty of the working practices .
ImagePXL_20230218_145118506 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Just one more hill and a few more corners and we were at the pub for dinner and liquid refreshments
ImagePXL_20230218_184349521 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A very pleasant evening was had before we went to find our recommended accommodation the usual two in one out arrangement followed as I had shelter from the wind I opted for the bivvy bag and slept well in good company . This is where i slept i packed to quickly to take a picture of the pit
ImagePXL_20230219_072334468 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
No point changing a winning formula back on the bikes straight to the café we checked out the day before for breakfast we arrived before they opened but a bit of looking helpless soon had the door open just as well because it was full very shortly after the official opening time . We had done well up to now with barely a quarry in sight this changed very quickly as we passed some huge ones . Buxton was the next stop as we were feeling peckish again we enjoyed some street riding with lunch followed by a drop of the water on the way out which turned out to be the last warm water I would see for a while !
ImagePXL_20230219_131343901 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A savage climb up the old road to the Cat and Fiddle followed only one thing for it afternoon tea at the café below the pub then onwards to forest where we passed some very wise benches
ImagePXL_20230219_160314068 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20230219_162413763 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The final leg was a short ride along the canal
ImagePXL_20230219_165225238 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
And back to the railway station where we went our separate ways .

What a great weekend with brilliant company thanks Reg and Lu .
ImagePXL_20230219_141419703.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

When I got home I discovered I had also lost something my hot water which is why I am a bit slow with the report I have found it now .
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Kev. I could have sat on those benches for hours digesting deep and philosophical musings :smile: .

"I'll never know how far I can go, unless I try"

"Life is what it is"

Perfect two-wheeled tramp mottos :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks for the write-ups, enjoyed them. Although I cycle in the Monsal Trail area I never think of heading to Macc Forest area. Got to look more closely at your route on the map for ideas.
RIP

Post by RIP »

The whole area between Macc Forest, Flash, Hollinsclough, and Hartington is underrated, but, sshhhh, don't tell anybody for goodness sake.

A nice loop might be: Cat & Fiddle, Dane Bower, Black Clough, Flash Bar Stores (breakfast), Colshaw, Tenterhill, Booth Farm, Hollinsclough (cafe), Stannery, Underhill, Longnor (pub/cafe/shop), Crowdecote, Pilsbury, Hartington (pub/cafe/shop), (Beresford Dale), "Brighton", Biggin, Tissington Trail to Parsley Hay (cafe) and Sparklow (pub) and Pomeroy, Wheeldon Trees, Earl Sterndale, Hind Low, Staker Hill, Buxton (cafes etc), Burbage, Macclesfield Old Road, Cat & Fiddle. Obviously coming from Derby, you're nearer starting at Biggin but the breakfast at Flash Bar isn't to be missed :smile: .

A fair day, but nowt for a man of your experience :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Chris,

Thanks for that itinerary. From Derby my preferred way up is a train to Matlock and then the White Peak Loop / bridleway to Bakewell and Monsal Trail. I do know some of the tracks but also I know the roads better as they are a summer day ride from home.
15-20 years ago a small group of us drove to Gradbach and cycled the tracks up to the C&F and back. I really must get up there again.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Brilliant write up there, enjoyed reading that whilst drinking yet more tea and procrasting a bit more before actually going out on the bike...

Seriously impressed with your dedication and commitment to cafes, cake and breakfasts :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:03 pm Brilliant write up there, enjoyed reading that whilst drinking yet more tea and procrasting a bit more before actually going out on the bike...

Seriously impressed with your dedication and commitment to cafes, cake and breakfasts :-bd
Procastinating? Don't worry it'll eventually wear off .
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

ledburner wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:01 pm
Verena wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:03 pm Brilliant write up there, enjoyed reading that whilst drinking yet more tea and procrasting a bit more before actually going out on the bike...

You mean, if I wait long enough?? :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:30 pm
ledburner wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:01 pm

You mean, if I wait long enough?? :lol:
Mañana
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..