Anyone any long distance exp of these Selle Italia Gelflow saddles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Anyone any long distance exp of these Selle Italia Gelflow saddles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Saddle 1 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod167141

Saddle 2 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod167139

I'm hoping to take a 200g (or more) weight penalty for a little while so I can pop my saddlepack on my rails as well as have alot more padding whilst I get past the sciatica!

Don't wanna just buy though without a little more input from anyone who knows em well.. I recall the older blue versions of the Flite were really good! Thanks...
riderdown

Re: Anyone any long distance exp of these Selle Italia Gelflow saddles

Post by riderdown »

I use the max flite on all my road bikes, just about OK for gravel, not up to anything hardcore as the inbuilt "suspension" isn't up to it

Great saddles, very comfy, max flite suits wider ass, there is a much tougher off road version

Note the 2 saddles are very different shapes when you sit on them as my spares box will attest
redefined_cycles

Note the 2 saddles are very different shapes when you sit on them as my spares box will attest
Thanks RiderD... Yes, I noted one is slightly wider than the other too. Aim is to get a cheap and cheerful saddle but one thats not cheap/cheerful and lots of padding. My bottom will just have to manage the extra/less of the 10mm and the different shape. Probably go for the 35£ version as it looks more appropriate :grin:
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

If you want I can trawl the spares box, I have an off road version (for EBikes apparently) of a selle Italia which was too narrow and was swapped out after a few rides
redefined_cycles

riderdown wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:44 pm If you want I can trawl the spares box, I have an off road version (for EBikes apparently) of a selle Italia which was too narrow and was swapped out after a few rides
Yes pls... Any pics... Will PM ya..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you want a padded comfy saddle I’d highly recommend this:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/ter ... dle-black/

Had a version of this (Ti rails/leather cover) on my bike when I rode in Central Asia. No arse trouble at all over nearly a year of riding.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Probably a bit too wide to risk for my sit bones at the mo Luke (especially with the sciatica which is either piriformis or could even be SI joint - getting better though). Plus, that is one ugly looking saddle no :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Profoundly ugly. However it’s also very comfy over distance. To put the width in context, I use narrow saddles like Selle Italia Flite 1990 and SLR usually and had no problems adapting to the ugly behemoth.
Comfortable from the first second.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Profoundly ugly. However it’s also very comfy over distance. To put the width in context, I use narrow saddles like Selle Italia Flite 1990 and SLR usually and had no problems adapting to the ugly behemoth.
Comfortable from the first second.
Very good info that Lukeand appreciated.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes. Been using Max S5 Superflow L3 Urban for a while now. Huge hole for your bits to dangle in, and wide. Tried a few weird and wonderful alternatives while looking, but for me it's the best I've ever had.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Got this through today from Paul (thanks Riderdown) today. It's a rpetty looking thing..

It has the S3 marker on the rails which I'm sure means it's the narrow version. Seems to be the ti rails AFAIR from the blurb/link Paul sent me and weighing in at 198g. It'll take the SpineLock saddlepack nicely and hopefully a step in the right direction to a Maxflite (hopefully the heavier weight means better padding too).

But... then to weigh it all up and the star attraction (for me and I'm sure many others on here).

Still made in Italy, which means no Uighers were exploited in it's production and also that someone (hopefully) got paid fairly in Italian currency.

Thanks again Riderdown...
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Hopefully it will suit your posterior
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

:lol:
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:36 pm Still made in Italy, which means no Uighers were exploited in it's production and also that someone (hopefully) got paid fairly in Italian currency.
uros , mate, through there must be a few mattress still stuffed with Lira (L./Lit/£).somewhere :grin:. (2k lira to £)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:01 am :lol:
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:36 pm Still made in Italy, which means no Uighers were exploited in it's production and also that someone (hopefully) got paid fairly in Italian currency.
uros , mate, through there must be a few mattress still stuffed with Lira (L./Lit/£).somewhere :grin:. (2k lira to £)
Well.... if it's euros then that's the new italian currency right :lol: When we gonna go for a ride back upto Wessy!?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:31 am
ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:01 am :lol:
Well.... if it's euros then that's the new italian currency right :lol: When we gonna go for a ride back upto Wessy!?
When I get some fitness back in my legs. The cycle up from town killed me. Ok it was first time out and about 5°c and trying to just breath through my nose..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:18 pm If you want a padded comfy saddle I’d highly recommend this:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/ter ... dle-black/

Had a version of this (Ti rails/leather cover) on my bike when I rode in Central Asia. No arse trouble at all over nearly a year of riding.
I’m wondering whether I might have to give this saddle a go, especially after suffering bad saddle sores on my current setup. I currently have Jones bars which I really like but am aware they do put me in a more upright position and therefore more of my weight on the saddle. I also have a thudbuster seat post which does seem to work loose and ends up with the saddle pointing upwards more than I would like. Might be a combination of things but I had to pull out of the Spanish Divide on day3 this year partly due to such bad saddle sores and my wooden support strut on my carradice saddlebag having snapped (probably my fault due to it being too loose and doing lots of bouncing as I was letting rip on the off road downhill sections 😂) + I just wasn’t going to be fit enough to carry on with the mammoth effort days.

I was particularly interested in the fact that you said you tend to ride narrower saddles than this one (like me)but riding this much wider one has not been an issue for you at all 😀