Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

yourguitarhero

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by yourguitarhero »

Ejendals make a variety of gloves.. 517s are good for biking.
Or get thee to Screwfix!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:24 am Even the XL size are not really that big however, if you want to wear a glove underneath them.
Yeah it's a real shame they don't do any bigger ones. They're very good at keeping the water out, but they have no insulation so if you suffer from cold hands like me, you almost always need another glove, and they're too tight for even the thinnest of liners. There is a lined version but can't imagine it adds much.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

This looked a really good deal. He has a dual sided powr meter too in case anyone gets this bargain: please would you out in a good word for me (£300 was obviously too low and declined).

Pity there's no 'offers' option on the drink...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes I've only got XLs. Have got fairly normal sized hands and they're fine, even with an extra liner glove.

Aye, no insulation but totally windproof. I can fit some Berghaus fleece gloves into them.

Dexterity - and if anyone would know about gloves it'd be a commercial fisherman :smile: so I hesitate to put my case - but, well you won't be able carry out emergency trailside brain surgery in them 'tis true, or operate yer phone. But bike brakes etc are no bother at all. I'd say they were as flexi as thick washing up gloves. And unlike washing up gloves they can be slipped off extremely easily. What's your view Jose?

For eight quid, worth risking a punt I'd say. And worst comes to the worst, you can just do the washing up or gardening in 'em instead!
Last edited by RIP on Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I seem to have L or even XL hands by most glove makers' standards. I can get some fleece liner gloves into the XL Showas, but they're pretty snug, and don't loft well.
RIP

Post by RIP »

OK, it's obviously a slack day at the Perrinery. Time for some spontaneous experimentation.

One glove, Berghaus, fleece, size L, handwarming for the uses of:

Fleece glove inside XL Temres glove:

Now for the dexterity test. Sock off, find small hole, raid the needlework basket, hole repaired! I rest my case, m'lud :grin: .

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have fairly large hands too. Mine are size 9/L and they fit well on their own - I can get thin liners in but they feel cramped enough to offset their benefit and dexterity really suffers. I didn't go for XL because I thought one size up wouldn't make enough difference to what fits underneath, and I didn't want them too baggy to go under another layer (there's not much give in them). Maybe I should try them.
RIP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:20 pm OK, it's obviously a slack day at the Perrinery
I'm glad you didn't call it something similar, with a Latin ending :shock:

The Temres go better with the book than Berghaus fleece though :lol:

PS Have you tried the lined ones (282) Reg? The same eBay seller has them. At £23 they're more like usual bike-wear prices, but if they work... Available in 10/XXL too
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:54 pm Mine are size 9/L
Aye, I bought 9/L and 10/XL originally because I wasn't sure of the sizing. I can fit the L but definitely without liners, but XL is fine with or without. So Madam now uses the L's for doing her topiary or whatever it is she gets up to in the garden.
PS Have you tried the lined ones (282) Reg? The same eBay seller has them. At £23 they're more like usual bike-wear prices, but if they work... Available in 10/XXL too
I must admit I haven't no. They are quite a lot pricier aren't they? I think I thought the ability to use my own liner of whatever type would be a more flexible option.

[end of Temres advertisement. Was that good enough for the freebie pair then lads, as agreed?]

RIP

Post by RIP »

Not sure about "bargain" but certainly "money off" Exposure lights at Winstanleys Bikes. Joystick Mk16 down from £155 (sic) to £116 25% off, and Diablo down from £305 (sic) to £183 40% off.

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/exposu ... AvD_BwE

Reason I was looking is my Joystick's doing something a bit weird that it's never done before. Switch it on then reduce intensity from green to orange or red, then after a second or so it flips back to green. Any ideas before I phone them tomorrow?

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:07 pm So Madam now uses the L's for doing her topiary or whatever it is she gets up to in the garden.
Funnily enough I had to rescue mine from gardening duties... "I thought they were work gloves"... She had a point.
RIP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:27 pm Switch it on then reduce intensity from green to orange or red, then after a second or so it flips back to green. Any ideas before I phone them tomorrow?
Going into lower power mode because the battery's low? Can't remember which colour is which, I normally can't see because it's on my head.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:28 pm Going into lower power mode because the battery's low? Can't remember which colour is which, I normally can't see because it's on my head.
Ta for reply. Green's "high", orange "medium" and red "low". So it's actually flipping back up to "high", even after fully charging. All very mysterious.

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:49 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:28 pm Going into lower power mode because the battery's low? Can't remember which colour is which, I normally can't see because it's on my head.
Ta for reply. Green's "high", orange "medium" and red "low". So it's actually flipping back up to "high", even after fully charging. All very mysterious.
Ah. Not that then. Which is obvious from your first post now I've read it properly :roll: Very strange. Best talk to them.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:27 pm Reason I was looking is my Joystick's doing something a bit weird that it's never done before. Switch it on then reduce intensity from green to orange or red, then after a second or so it flips back to green. Any ideas before I phone them tomorrow?
When you change modes the light tells you which mode it's in (briefly) the switches back to battery level indication.

So if you turn from high to low the light will go from green to amber to red. Then after a second it will show green if it's fully charged. If you were on the lowest setting with a nearly flat battery then pressing the button once would change the light to green (high mode) and then after a second it would change to red (battery low)
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:49 pm
It's worth occasionally leaving Exposure's on charge for 24hours. They told me when the show 'Fully Charged' they're about 80-90% done, just leave them charging longer for 100%.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:49 am
RIP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:27 pm Reason I was looking is my Joystick's doing something a bit weird that it's never done before. Switch it on then reduce intensity from green to orange or red, then after a second or so it flips back to green. Any ideas before I phone them tomorrow?
When you change modes the light tells you which mode it's in (briefly) the switches back to battery level indication.

So if you turn from high to low the light will go from green to amber to red. Then after a second it will show green if it's fully charged. If you were on the lowest setting with a nearly flat battery then pressing the button once would change the light to green (high mode) and then after a second it would change to red (battery low)
^^^this
RIP

Post by RIP »

X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X :oops: :oops:

Of course it is! Thanks gents. Have genuinely never noticed before. So if I'd bothered to check back here before ringing the nice Matt at Exposure then I wouldn't have looked like a complete nob! Well obviously that's Reg's default setting, but still.

Doh.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:37 pm Have genuinely never noticed before.
To be fair you usually cant see it as it's on your head :lol: The bar lights work the same way so I see that when I'm using a battery one.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
psling

Post by psling »

Thankfully, being colour blind, all my Exposure lights are pre-traffic lights. Having said that, it's a good advert for them that they're all still going strong. The oldest is a Race model purchased at a Mountain Mayhem event, possibly 2007? :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:37 pm X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X :oops: :oops:

Of course it is! Thanks gents. Have genuinely never noticed before. So if I'd bothered to check back here before ringing the nice Matt at Exposure then I wouldn't have looked a complete nob! Well obviously that's Reg's default setting, but still.

Doh.
Reg. Shall we se of we can get you one of them dental mirrors they look at teeth with. Might need two, but you can check setting/run time whilst sat at lights?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah I'll have some of them. I could use 'em to check my old-man's-nose-hairs afterwards too.

jameso

Post by jameso »

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/moun ... -feb23?p=2

Mtn Equipment gear at 50% off on Sports Pursuit
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Lomo have a sale on this including a 13l seat pack for £21.60. Stuart reviewed them favourably and I bought one and been pleased with its waterproofing.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Blackhound wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:53 pm Lomo have a sale on this including a 13l seat pack for £21.60. Stuart reviewed them favourably and I bought one and been pleased with its waterproofing.
Thanks for the info - might go for a 3l bar bag, as it looks very similar to my favourite Alpkit one.

I'm strangely wanting a green screen wetsuit from the sale... Absolutely no reason whatsoever, as I already have a thick wetsuit, a 3mm and a shorty which barely get used...
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I just bought a set of these, for my new gravel bike...

https://muc-off.com/collections/tubeles ... ce-colours

...reasonably priced, compared to some other plug tools and - Brucie bonus - you might be able to match the colour of your bike.