Tent and sleeping bag recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: Tent and sleeping bag recommendations

Post by JohnClimber »

kvragu wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:04 am How do you feel about the usecase of the 150? I always felt kinda tempted by it, but then again seems kinda thin?
I have the 250 for summer, the 150 is too thin for me.
I was a fan of quilts becuse oft eh weight saving, but not any more, I prefer a better nights sleep.
I found that they rise up when I turn and gives a cold spot.
I think the dog will get this to lay on and in and I'll use my summer sleeping bag when it's warm enough.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I sleep warm and am up for saving a bit of weight where I can but without being silly, I vacillated between the 150 and 250 and eventually picked the warmer one. It's easy to make a too-warm quilt cooler (stick a leg or arm out) and I think the 250 is the right warmth quilt for me (and probably lots of average-warmth sleeping peeps) most of the time. I'd happily take a 150 off someone for the right price though.

I also have a vonporkchops homemade quilt off (IIRC) Rich on here that is very light and compact. It combines different insulation with a down centre-strip and synthetic edges. I've managed in that but find (much like a Mk1 Cloudcover from Alpkit) that despite the insulation probably being sufficient (for temps at the time - summery!) the stingy sizing is what bugs me. I "burrow" into a quilt to keep warm (might be physiological, psychological or a bit of both) and find a quilt that rides down off my shoulders or isn't sufficiently long (and I'm a shortarse at 5.9) makes for drafty, uncomfortable, broken sleep.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

kvragu wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:35 pm I've got one of their big comforters as a 3 season 0-5 C thing, I guess on paper it should cover the 5-15C range...
I wouldn't use my 150 below about 5 degrees and then with my down jacket on and leg base layer. I'm a bit of a cold sleeper.... But I've used in March through to November so quite a range of months given the way temps fluctuate these days. I have a thicker quilt for single figure plus and minus temps. the good thing about a quilt is you can layer up underneath them whereas with a sleeping bag layering up can squash the down filling so you end up colder.
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

250 is def a wiser choice, it's only my proclivity for a minimal system that prevails every now and then. Every now and then I think about getting everything super compact (not so much light) for the fast trips with not too much sleeping. Then I realise it's silly to think I'd ever notice +/- 2l of space and that it would sacrifice a lot of utility.

Likewise, aegismax stuff is a fraction of the price of cumulus. Ethics or whatever aside, of course. I think I'll either wait for a cheap 200g fill bag on ebay or get one of those neon green aegismax bags.

More on aegismax vs cumulus, I'm def convinced that the latter will last longer, though. I had a white quilt from aegismax and after a few years it just wasn't lofting up as much.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've used my 150 at zero but then again, I'm double dead hard* :-bd

*also known by some as stupid
May the bridges you burn light your way
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:32 pm I've used my 150 at zero but then again, I'm double dead hard* :-bd

*also known by some as stupid
That's hard, af*

*afcourse