FF29 returns!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

FF29 returns!

Post by faustus »

I'm excited, though some more details would be good. I rode a mates original FF29 and loved it, and have recently been pondering lightweight xc/trail options. It looks like it is definitely slacker and longer (i hope not too much), but I hope it is still decently light, and that it lives up to its 'FF' moniker. Oh and hopefully not too big a fork. The pic below shows a trail build with goodyear Newton tyres, which isn't the focus i'd want from it, but intrigued to know more and £600 for a frame only is reasonable in current conditions. It might just be a different option to a current Scandal...

whonickedmename

Re: FF29 returns!

Post by whonickedmename »

I had the old FF29 which certainly lived up to it's name, this however does look more 'modern' with that '65 degree HA / 140mm fork' look to it. Good to have another option for a UK designed HT frame though :cool:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Mate of mine had one for a few years, great xc bike. Have you got the link for this FF ? I cant find it on off-road.cc
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I've still got an original one that I bought as a used frame and built up out of second hand bits. It was my first proper MTB after deciding to try something new, following a few years of fell running.

I finished building it, then rode the YD300 on it a few weeks later. First night in a bivvy bag and first multiday ride. Good memories :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

whonickedmename wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:34 pm I had the old FF29 which certainly lived up to it's name, this however does look more 'modern' with that '65 degree HA / 140mm fork' look to it. Good to have another option for a UK designed HT frame though :cool:
Looks like you were exactly right! :lol:
More details emerged on bikeradar, and sadly it's got lots of features that are not for me. Although it says it's in the spirit of the predecessor, it's gone LLS and joins a very crowded field in my opinion.
Pros: Full external cable routing, neat dropouts, 2kg frame weight seems decent for that kind of bike
Cons: BB92!?, sliding dropouts (some want, some don't. Retaining bolts look tiny but may not be an issue), 65.5 HA 76 SA...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Original FF29 was a cracking bike. One of the better bikes I've owned along with the original ScandAl - shame I broke that one.