Using Garmin Mapshare

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Using Garmin Mapshare

Post by lune ranger »

Having bought an InReach Messenger I’ve been setting it up today.
One thing I’d like to do with my Mapshare page is add an intended route onto it prior to heading out on a trip. So when my contacts log in they could see my current position against my intended route.
Is this possible? I’m not seeing a way to do that at the moment.
Thanks.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Re: Using Garmin Mapshare

Post by sean_iow »

Don't know abut the garmin (helpful I know :roll: ) but with my SPOT I had to use Spotwalla and share that page to add a route. Sadly Spotwalla now charge, used to be free.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks Sean. The sharing my position and current track on a map other people can access thing is easy and free (already paid for at least :roll: )
What I want is my social media followers (my wife) to be able to see my intended route as well as where I am on Mapshare page.
Any suggestions?
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's what I used to use Spotwalla for and to be fair it worked really well. That way Jane could see if I was off course or how far I was from my destination. I cancelled my SPOT subscription in 2020 and haven't needed it since so I've not looked into the cost of Spotwalla. I had an email when the changed over from a free* service which is how I know about it.

* This is not a winge, I expect them to fund their business somehow, so it's either users paying or adverts and it's add free.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

sent you a DM
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Garmin support are pretty useful so try them [ e-mail them not the forums]

I would guess its something connect or explore that you have to link but never tried [ as our LEJOG route was not set in stone so it was pointless to try this
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I very often change from my pre set plan whilst out for a multitude of reasons. I’ve been used to leaving my wife a route she can refer to if I fail to come home. Traditionally this has been leaving Strava with my route open on my laptop. I could continue to do this but it would be neater to have it all in Mapshare.
WSC