Tailfin Aeropack

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rivers

Tailfin Aeropack

Post by rivers »

Does anyone use a tailfin aeropack? I'm contemplating swapping out my various saddlebags for a Tailfin instead. What are your thoughts? Any drawbacks, besides the price? My main issue with saddlebags is that no matter the application (commuting or bikepacking), is it needs to be packed perfectly or something isn't fitting (if my 6 litre or 10 litre) or it's rubbing on my rear wheel on rough terrain or poorly maintained road (if it's the 15 litre).
Thanks
voodoo_simon

Re: Tailfin Aeropack

Post by voodoo_simon »

The Radavist has an article on these from Ryan Wilson
https://theradavist.com/tailfin-aeropac ... rm-review/

He was given them for free for product testing/reviewing (as stated in the article) but they come up favourably though. Reading the comments section is worthwhile, I thought Tailfin came across well to the questions (where most brands would hide away)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This is a genuine question - given the cost, what are the benefits of a Tailfin compared to a more traditional tubular rack?
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I've always thought the Tailfin thing was a very expensive solution to a non existant problem. I just fail to see what it offers overs a regular rear rack with dry bag strapped to the top that performs the same function at a similar weight for a fraction of the cost. I have seen two separate reports of the triple pack mounts on the aluminium version ripping out. On one of these Tailfin refused to honour a warranty claim. The other I don't remember.
Apart from the cost and ugliness (imo) the main issue I have is the use of proprietry fixing hardwear making it impossible to fix out on trail. And the version where you can't even remove the bag to pack it out of the rain in your tent is even more retarded.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:23 am This is a genuine question - given the cost, what are the benefits of a Tailfin compared to a more traditional tubular rack?
Aren’t they good for frames that don’t have the braze ons for a traditional rack and I’m not sure I’d 100% trust p clips onto a carbon frame. I’ve also seen tailfins on full suspension bikes but I’ll be honest, I’m not sure how that works!

I was looking at tailfin recently as well as Aeroe and specialized Fjallraven but they all came in about 350-400, so opted for a new bike (£1k) that would take a traditional rear rack (already owned the ortlieb panniers)
maxap

Post by maxap »

I'm using a Tubus Vega Evo with a drybag. Superlight and not expensive. Think the rack is 600 grams and can take 25kg. Of course if you have a carbon frame with nowhere to fix the rack you have to look for other options.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

- given the cost, what are the benefits of a Tailfin compared to a more traditional tubular rack?
It's expensive so it must be the best available ( presumably their marketing thoughts )
rivers

Post by rivers »

The reason for looking at a tailfin over other racks: no rack mounts is the main reason.
I'm currently swapping between a 6L, 10L, and 15L saddle bag depending on whether I'm commuting or on a trip. The 6L is my goto commuting bag (but has to be packed correctly so i can fit my shoes, which are a size 4.5 low top converse) but occasionally use the 10 if I have to bring anything additional to work (unless I need my steelies, tools, or laptop and then I have a backpack). The 15L is my go to bikepacking saddlebag. With the 10L if I'm not camping and staying in B&Bs.
The problem with the 15L is that it will rub my rear wheel if not packed exactly right (the joys of having a 46cm bike). The issue with all of them is lack of space to pick up anything on the way, whether on the way home or bikepacking. Things like groceries or beer, again unless I have a small packable backpack.
And I kind of just want one bag I can mostly leave on my bike and forget about, but that I can also quickly detach/attach if needed. .
It will also fit both my road bike and gravel bike (even my TT bike, but I highly doubt I will be using it during a TT).
due

Post by due »

I don't think the price is actually that bad for the alloy version. What puts me off is how high up the weight would be, I wouldn't want too much weight in one - in which case a saddle bag or literally any cheap rack with a dry bag on top would do the same job. Their mini panniers do look good though.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

The reason for looking at a tailfin over other racks: no rack mounts is the main reason.
Have you looked into p-clips as a mounting solution?
rivers

Post by rivers »

Bearlegged wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:39 pm
Have you looked into p-clips as a mounting solution?
Carbon bikes so want to avoid things like p clips
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The problem with the 15L is that it will rub my rear wheel if not packed exactly right
Fit a mudguard ?

Also Seat post mounted racks - I used on for years - may have it up the attic if you want to try one- probably not that lightweight though
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I thought the big advantage was that they are one of the few rear racks that are compatible with a full suss frame.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Old Man mountain racks can be fitted to bikes without lower rack mounts. A bit more agricultural but thoroughly bomb proof (I don't own one but a mate has used one extensively for c25 years!) Obv not much difference price wise but....
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

I have one, it is expensive but solved a few issues for me
1) I am short, I always struggle to fit in a seat pack bigger than 5lt
2) I wanted a bag I could easily take on and off for commuting and would hold an ipad and cloths
3) I wanted to remove the rack quickly when not required
4) I wanted to attach it to all my bikes, some of which don't have pannier mounts.

I will say I used a pannier and rack / top bag for years before this for commuting, but my commute home involves a bit of wooded single-track and Gravel when the mood takes me and this was never a good solution.

I tried Canadice saddle bags but found the weight too high and could never quite swing my leg over the saddle :roll:

So for me, Tailfin is the Goldilocks solution. I initially got the version with the arch attached to the bag, but this was a pain for commuting as you had to carry the bag and rack around with you, and it wasn't a super quick on and off the bike. The good thing about tailfin is its modular, and the chaps at Tailfin were really helpful, they took back the parts I didn't need and sold me ones I did to turn it into a top bag. This works really well. The bonus is when I am struggling to lift my fully laden bike over a fence, I can just pop off the saddle bag off and back on again in about 10sec

The bag holds more than most drybags too whilst remaining rock solid. Its also easy to store odd shaped items and to access clothes, something I have struggled with when using dry bags. You need to be careful about weight though as a find it makes the bike a bit wallowy if too heavy. I do think the bag is the one part of the system that's over priced though.

If i didn't need a bag for commuting I would jus go for the rack, and use Voile straps to hold a dry bag on. Its cheaper, (not far off the price of Tubus racks) lighter and has all the benefits listed above. I would also go the alloy as it has anything cage mounting points, cheaper and only marginally heaver than carbon. I would probably also go for the pannier mounts, just to future proof yourself.

Hope that helps
rivers

Post by rivers »

Brothersmith wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:49 am I have one, it is expensive but solved a few issues for me
1) I am short, I always struggle to fit in a seat pack bigger than 5lt
2) I wanted a bag I could easily take on and off for commuting and would hold an ipad and cloths
3) I wanted to remove the rack quickly when not required
4) I wanted to attach it to all my bikes, some of which don't have pannier mounts.

I will say I used a pannier and rack / top bag for years before this for commuting, but my commute home involves a bit of wooded single-track and Gravel when the mood takes me and this was never a good solution.

I tried Canadice saddle bags but found the weight too high and could never quite swing my leg over the saddle :roll:

So for me, Tailfin is the Goldilocks solution. I initially got the version with the arch attached to the bag, but this was a pain for commuting as you had to carry the bag and rack around with you, and it wasn't a super quick on and off the bike. The good thing about tailfin is its modular, and the chaps at Tailfin were really helpful, they took back the parts I didn't need and sold me ones I did to turn it into a top bag. This works really well. The bonus is when I am struggling to lift my fully laden bike over a fence, I can just pop off the saddle bag off and back on again in about 10sec

The bag holds more than most drybags too whilst remaining rock solid. Its also easy to store odd shaped items and to access clothes really easily, something I have struggled with with dry bags. You need to be careful about weight though as a find it makes the bike a bit wallowy if too heavy. I do think this is one part of the system that's over priced though.

If i didn't need a bag for commuting I would jus go for the rack, and use Voile straps to hold a dry bag on. Its cheaper, lighter and has all the benefits listed above. I would also go the alloy as it has anything cage mounting points, cheaper and only marginally heaver than carbon. I would probably also go for the pannier mounts, just to future proof yourself.

Hope that helps
Your response is very helpful, thanks. You're reasons are very similar to mine (with the exception of being able to fit a large saddlebag- while I'm short, I have a 31 inch inseam).
I'm meeting one of the chaps from Tailfin tomorrow on my way into work (I literally ride by their offices on my commute) to see one in real and see how it fits on my bike. If I like the look of it, I will most likely order one tomorrow.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

There nice folk, and were really helpful when I was deciding on what I needed.

If you decide to go for it, go for the quick release rack mounts, they are supper useful.

Good luck, if your happy with the cost you wont be disappointed.