Spare tyre on a tour?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Spare tyre on a tour?

Post by woodsmith »

I'll be off to Morocco shortly for a couple of months, followed hopefully by 6 to 8 weeks back through Spain and i can't decide whether I should take a spare tyre.
The new Chronicles ( set up tubeless) fitted will last the distance no problem but a gashed sidewall will leave me shafted in Morocco with zero chance of finding a replacement (27.5 x 3.0).
I'm taking spare tubes, Park Tool boots, needle and thread, superglue etc. Is one kilo of spare tyre too heavy for peace of mind? Am I just packing my fears? What would you do?
voodoo_simon

Re: Spare tyre on a tour?

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ll assume you’re staying in a hotel the day you arrive, so can you leave a spare at the hotel and collect on your return? That way if you do need one, your trip isn’t completely ruined, you just need to get back there?

I’m no position to say whether you should carry all spare or not (Christ, imagine if the nay sayers get proved wrong…!)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you add some strips of old tyre (road tyre for preference) and a bit of old inner tube it's amazing what you can repair. Chronicles are pretty burly - I've not ripped one yet despite a lot of rocky trails so I wouldn't.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's one of those things that never happens until it does.

Tyre boots, needle (preferably curved) and thread and maybe some cut up sections of old tyre will deal with pretty much everything short of the tyre being attacked by a horde of sword wielding assassins. I'd take a decent inner tube rather than something like the Tubolito just as a last resort.

I presume you've seen this video from bikepacking.com? https://bikepacking.com/news/tubeless-r ... deo-guide/ Not watched it recently but if it's not mentioned then it's worth practicing on an old tyre when sat at home.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Packing your fears ( I am happy to provide contact details and could send you one if required ) may lose a few days a week travelling but as you are going for a long time is time that important ?
I also think any slash will be repairable enough to take a tube with tape glue and sewing etc .

* I have a spare IKKON unused but a mere 2.8
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Bob says, stuff doesn't break until it does. The things I've broken while out, generally weren't the kind of things you'd expect to break and you certainly (most likely) wouldn't consider carrying spares. I think you have to draw a line and focus on your ability to bodge and overcome.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Thanks chaps for your thoughts. Unfortunetley I'm entering and exiting Morocco from different cities so leaving one at a hotel for collection isn't an option. It feels like I'm being over cautious to lug a kilo of spare tyre around so I will leave one boxed up ready with my sister to Fedex/ups out should it be needed. And if its required in Spain I can always find something online i'm sure.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Some time ago someone shared this website containing this self supported guide. I somehow converted it to a pdf file (but it seems to go back to front!).

Let me know and I can email it across. Not sure how to host somewhere to share as a dropbox type thingy! About 10 or 15 pages long and features Shona (keep pedalling) and some of the other hardened dirt-road racers...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Old fashioned inner tube stitched over sticking have repaired a side wall cut.

I also swopped the cut front tyre to the back.
I figured a rear tyre blow- out would be a inconvenience.
A flat front blow out would be over the bars and ride limiting...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:04 am Old fashioned inner tube stitched over sticking have repaired a side wall cut.

I also swopped the cut front tyre to the back.
Intersting idea. I hadn't thought about the front end blow out. I'd have been tempted to put the damaged tyre on the front as its doing less work, less pressure, less weight etc.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:06 pm
ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:04 am I also swopped the cut front tyre to the back.
Interesting idea. I hadn't thought about the front end blow out. I'd have been tempted to put the damaged tyre on the front as its doing less work, less pressure, less weight etc.
What does any one else think? :ugeek:

(I my case road bike 23 mm tyre , 'V' cut , repaired with type boot, also swapped it to rear. Glued later).
Riding round corners on just rims & only back brake,. (as the front tyre disappears in tube 'well').
A bit of a little too exciting experience :shock:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I would tend to keep the tyres where they are and repair without breaking the bead to avoid having to use a tube. My only tyre full self destruct was when a Vee gravel tyre fell apart 40 miles from home (casing de-laminated) Swapping to the front would have left me needing to use two tubes - as it was I bodged it all together and just got home as the second tube punctured thanks to the park tyre boot nibbling though it....
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Good point, this was a trad set up before tubeless.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My back tyres are higher pressure than front especially bikepacking so does this make it more risky?
Whilst I agree its safer to have rear blowout than a front its a hell of lot of faff trailside with tubeless setup 'Probably would not
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Was also thinking, that running at 29+ pressures you won't get a blow out, more of a rapid deflation - with enough warning to stop before it spat you off. Plus a sidewall slash would come from a big jaggy rock, probably, on a trail full of big rocks, through which you would be riding slowly. Or something....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just noticed this chap
https://instagram.com/tristanrid?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
is heading out to Morocco/there now. He usually does some nice clips/photos so may be worth following