SPOT or InReach?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GoneCaving

Re: SPOT or InReach?

Post by GoneCaving »

Starting to look at what the various trackers, and plans offer. Am I right in my understanding that the inreach free checkin messages are fixed content, and the ability to edit the preset messages are just a convenience in terms of the (limited count of free) normal message count?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You get
3 x unlimited pre set messages
These messages can contain any message you choose as you write it - you need to be logged on to laptop to do it in garmin explore [ possibly app never tried] Not certain if their is a length limit as mine are all pretty short. They have your geo location as well.
You can send it to whomever you want [ and set numbers for each message so they can be different numbers and have as many numbers as you want - well i was sending to about 10 folk
You get 5 [ or 8 i forget as i never use messages with the cheap price] these you can actually type a message like a text message using either the app or the in reach [ you would need very good reading eyes to do it on the in reach screen but never tried ]
Receiving a text counts as sending one as well iirc but i use it for me to communicate with others rather than them with me [ but had read messages to check it works etc ]
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

FWIW I opted for an InReach Messenger. I’d rather have more in-contract tracking included than they do with their basic plan but everything else about it suits me.
It’ll integrate well with my other Garmin devices and I didn’t think I need the extra nav capability that comes with the Mini 2.
The lack of mounting options was initially off putting but a little investigating has lead me to a nifty mounting option that will attach the thing to a rucksack, bike bag or the bike itself.
Looking forward to being back to full fitness so I can use it on the field.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

nifty mounting option that will attach the thing to a rucksack, bike bag or the bike itself.
Got a link or description as mine is just carabineered to me
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:25 pm
nifty mounting option that will attach the thing to a rucksack, bike bag or the bike itself.
Got a link or description as mine is just carabineered to me
It’s the power pack holder towards the bottom of the thread, mentioned by ‘Akuro’.

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recre ... ions-ideas

I could only find it on Amazon unfortunately. Hate giving them my money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bone-Collectio ... th=1&psc=1
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mart

Post by Mart »

I opted for a spot, because I’d rather have less contact, less messages and less faff whilst I’m away.
As long as Mrs B could see I was ok and I’d checked in once in a while then all was good :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon