Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by RIP »

Retiredtester wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 am Our only encounter of note was a bloke with a transit full of huskys and a wheeled sledge thing - who am I to judge?
I love random baffling encounters like that. Who were they? What were they up to? Why?

Like your photos. There's some very strange shenanigans going on with that sleeping gear - what is the lad up to in that third one?!

Those helmets hanging from the fence wire: usually its farmers hanging the sadly deceased bodies of rooks or moles, so that's a bit different.

And compliments on getting yer man out there too. It's always uplifting to read about youngsters being introduced to this mad game. They'll remember it for the rest of their lives. For either good or bad reasons, both reasons being equally educational :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

usually its farmers hanging the sadly deceased bodies of rooks or moles,
I saw that once (the moles, hung on the fence) and it left me baffled for a long while. Until I gave up thinking about it. Why'd they do that... Is it to scare away the other moles... Or is it as a show-off of achievement to the neighboring farmer of what their kill-count is...

Maybe it's hanging em to dry so that when they're buried they take up less volumetric space on the farmers land. If anyone knows, I'd be keen to find out please... :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep - dried moles. Bikepackers foraged food. Tasty snack.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's the first stage for making Moleskin trousers :wink: You never want to come across a fence where the farmer is planning on making a donkey jacket :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks both! I was bus stop and abandoned outbuilding curious in a previous incarnation as an audaxer. Turns out I prefer tents.
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:25 pm It's the first stage for making Moleskin trousers :wink: You never want to come across a fence where the farmer is planning on making a donkey jacket :lol:
:lol: very good

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:39 pm

I saw that once (the moles, hung on the fence) and it left me baffled for a long while. Until I gave up thinking about it. Why'd they do that... Is it to scare away the other moles... Or is it as a show-off of achievement to the neighboring farmer of what their kill-count is...

Maybe it's hanging em to dry so that when they're buried they take up less volumetric space on the farmers land. If anyone knows, I'd be keen to find out please... :smile:
It originated with mole-catchers as a way of showing the farmer that they'd done their job, they might have been paid "per mole". Not sure these days, probably just a "tradition"
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

If I may indulge in a further BBB traditional digression... I'm reminded of the scene from Ripping Yarns, The Testing Of Eric Olthwaite.

Eric has got really into his new job as a bank robber and gangster, and his supposed girlfriend, Enid Bag, who'd previously got bored with him and his rain gauges, now wants to join him:

Enid: "Mum... 'ave you read about Eric Olthwaite? He's wanted by t'police in three different counties!"

Mrs Bag: (played by the incomparable Liz Smith): "Yes... I don't believe it..."

Enid: "Do you think he wants a moll?"

Mrs Bag: "Who'd want a moll.... dirty little things, dig up your garden and leave great holes in the park".

Yeah well I liked it :smile: .

redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:42 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:39 pm

It originated with mole-catchers as a way of showing the farmer that they'd done their job, they might have been paid "per mole". Not sure these days, probably just a "tradition"
Knew someone'd know here. Thanks Bob. Btw, I saw three buzzards overhead the other day and thought of you (for anyone reading, first time I saw a buzzard up close and personal it looked so huge that I actually thought it to be an eagle - then I tried to climb through a bush for a photo as it'd para-jumped/dropped behind it and went flying low across the field).

So definitely not moleskin trousers (I did wonder briefly :smile: ).
redefined_cycles

I'd told myself when these arrive I'd make plans to get out and go do that bivi. The mini tent also arrived earlier so no excuses now (except for being soft, which we all know is a valid reason to stay in).

Watch this space...
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Velofart"? Quite probably...

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:12 pm "Velofart"? Quite probably...
Thatsthe one Reg :grin: but it's amazingly kind on the gut.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:54 am
Retiredtester wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 am Our only encounter of note was a bloke with a transit full of huskys and a wheeled sledge thing - who am I to judge?
I love random baffling encounters like that. Who were they? What were they up to? Why?

Like your photos. There's some very strange shenanigans going on with that sleeping gear - what is the lad up to in that third one?!

Those helmets hanging from the fence wire: usually its farmers hanging the sadly deceased bodies of rooks or moles, so that's a bit different.

And compliments on getting yer man out there too. It's always uplifting to read about youngsters being introduced to this mad game. They'll remember it for the rest of their lives. For either good or bad reasons, both reasons being equally educational :wink: .
Cheers! It's always felt like a bit of a chore until this year. Now it's finally stopped feeling like I'm bullying him into it and he even insisted on bivvy bags (I secretly brought the tent too as back up). He's autistic and I strongly believe in nudging him out of his comfort zone (literally and metaphorically) whenever possible. I'm sure he hates me for it, but time will tell!

Oh, and no idea what's going on in the last photo - some energetic moaning is a safe bet
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The bivvy bag only crew are out in force this year. Having just read "The book of the bivvy" which implores people to do just that (and then goes on to say how miserable it can be), I might have to up my game.
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:35 pm "The book of the bivvy" which implores people to do just that......and then goes on to say how miserable it can be
Sadists! Probably written from an armchair somewhere.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:01 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:35 pm "The book of the bivvy" which implores people to do just that......and then goes on to say how miserable it can be
Sadists! Probably written from an armchair somewhere.
No I think the guy is the real deal. It surprised me how little benefit a goretex or event bivvy has over a large poly bag when its raining....
He quotes 'Venus in furs' at one point though :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:01 pm He quotes 'Venus in furs' at one point though :???:
"Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
Whiplash girl child in the dark
Comes in bells, your servant, don't forsake him
Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart".

Blimey.

I suppose I'd better get a copy and find out what I'm [not] missing :wink:

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Trust you to know the lyrics to that track Reg!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well it was No Sheep 'Til Buxton earlier so it must be one of those nights :smile: .

redefined_cycles

Sorry to sound very posh. But I don't wanna dirty the bottom of the floor of my shiny new tent - one that I can finally get taut and appears to hold all my kit from the shed nicely :wink: (long story, sorting out the outshouse so we can get back inside it).

Anyone able to suggest a cheap liner for the floor that's also low bulk/weight. Tyvek from Stu? or is there another few options...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A sheet of thin polythene will do and lighter than tyvek - I had a bit I used which was a bag that a pair of wheels arrived in - just slashed it open to form a long sheet, just the width of the Vangos footprint.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The Book of the Bivi by Ron Turnbull, it's a classic, I've read it at least twice :grin:

His recipe for haggis shelter stone sounds very appetising :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:46 pm A sheet of thin polythene will do and lighter than tyvek - I had a bit I used which was a bag that a pair of wheels arrived in - just slashed it open to form a long sheet, just the width of the Vangos footprint.
Nice1. I have some thin plastic sheets from my decorating days which I just found as I've been clearing out and tidying/organising the outhouse. Just the job I suppose... Might be a bit flimsy though and rip easily. There was a black sheet that a nice man from deep down south sent me - but it disappeared into the void of 'stuff'.

Thanks again that man...
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I've got half a roll of tyvek left over from some DIY. Happy to cut you a length and post it shaf in recognition of all your good work. (As long as I'm not stepping on the not inconsiderable toes of the bear)
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:40 pm Anyone able to suggest a cheap liner for the floor that's also low bulk/weight. Tyvek from Stu? or is there another few options...
If you haven't taken up Retiredtester's offer yet Shaf, I also have loads of wrap left over from them building our garden office; you're welcome to as much as you need. Lighter than the Tyvek I sourced from an acquaintance in the village who was building an extension to his house. Used it on all my BAMs since I got the Lanshan, and I've slept on some shitty undergrowth, it's done its job nicely.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.