Trail Recipe of the Day

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Trail Recipe of the Day

Post by dlovett »

Among the recent answers to my post about long distance nutrition, was the recommendation of the Feed Zone Portables Cook book. I haven't got this yet but instead I have it's prequel, The Feed Zone Cookbook. This does have a portables section which includes this recipe on P98 for Chocolate Peanut Rice Cakes. I hope to make this over the weekend but it looks and sounds great.

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked calrose rise or other medium grain sticky rice
3 cups water
1 cup raw or roasted peanuts
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (Sainsbury's sells frozen bags)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 table spoon of salt
honey or molasses (if needed)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
1 Combine rice and water in a rice cooker or pot and cook.
2) Once the rice is cooked, put all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips into a food processor and pulse together, into a thick, crunchy paste. Add a bit of honey or molasses if mixture is too dry.
3) Add the chocolate chips to the mixture an pulse until the chocolate melts and incorporates into the mixture.
4) Transfer mixture to a 8/9 inch square baking pan and press down to be about 1 inch thick. Top with more peanuts and chocolate chips if desired. Let cool 9approx 1 hour) before cutting and wrapping individual cakes. Makes about 10 cakes.
Verena

Re: Trail Recipe of the Day

Post by Verena »

dlovett wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:38 pm Among the recent answers to my post about long distance nutrition, was the recommendation of the Feed Zone Portables Cook book. I haven't got this yet but instead I have it's prequel, The Feed Zone Cookbook. This does have a portables section which includes this recipe on P98 for Chocolate Peanut Rice Cakes. I hope to make this over the weekend but it looks and sounds great.

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked calrose rise or other medium grain sticky rice
3 cups water
1 cup raw or roasted peanuts
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (Sainsbury's sells frozen bags)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 table spoon of salt
honey or molasses (if needed)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
1 Combine rice and water in a rice cooker or pot and cook.
2) Once the rice is cooked, put all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips into a food processor and pulse together, into a thick, crunchy paste. Add a bit of honey or molasses if mixture is too dry.
3) Add the chocolate chips to the mixture an pulse until the chocolate melts and incorporates into the mixture.
4) Transfer mixture to a 8/9 inch square baking pan and press down to be about 1 inch thick. Top with more peanuts and chocolate chips if desired. Let cool 9approx 1 hour) before cutting and wrapping individual cakes. Makes about 10 cakes.
Oh, interesting, might give this a go!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

They’re great books, especially the portables.
Made some treats from it for Dave and Andy when they stopped in on their gravel lejog.
Apparently they went down well.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Well my verdict is in, they are great. Very tasty indeed, not too sweet just right, worth you all having a try. Can't speak for it's energy value as I'm not expending much currently, but they work out at about 350cals per portion. I rolled them into balls as they are quite soft, rather than leaving them as flat bars and I now have a load wrapped and in the freezer for further testing.

Right then who has got the next trail/bikepacking recipe??
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I understand the benefits of salt intake, but how much does a tablesppon affect the taste?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

belugabob wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:14 pm I understand the benefits of salt intake, but how much does a tablesppon affect the taste?
It's a bit difficult to say, I tend to like salty food, but these didn't taste salty, just right. I guess you could try them with less salt and see. Next batch I might well try that.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

dlovett wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:51 pm
belugabob wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:14 pm I understand the benefits of salt intake, but how much does a tablesppon affect the taste?
It's a bit difficult to say, I tend to like salty food, but these didn't taste salty, just right. I guess you could try them with less salt and see. Next batch I might well try that.
I feel that I'm about to find out :grin:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I had one for breakfast today. I froze the first batch and after defrosting, it was really nice. Didn't seem to sweet or to salty to my taste buds. Squashing them in to oval balls seems to have done them no harm either. Seemed nice and chocolately an nutty taste wise. Moist but rich enough to make you want to drink with it or soon after.
IMG_0295 copy.jpg
IMG_0295 copy.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
composite

Post by composite »

Link to my own post about Feed zone portables and some of my own write-ups on trail food, from 2013!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2304&p=21222&hilit= ... les#p21222
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

composite wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:58 am Link to my own post about Feed zone portables and some of my own write-ups on trail food, from 2013!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2304&p=21222&hilit= ... les#p21222
Some of those look great, I'd really like the book. Still the version 1 haas enough to keep me going.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Well, I got round to making some of the OPs recipe, yesterday...

Used cashews, because I had some, and raisins, because I like a bit of fruit in my flapjacks.

Almost killed my food processor, but added a bit more water just in time to loosen it up sufficiently.

The texture is surprisingly rubbery - a bit softer than bread pudding, but firm enough to handle.

Not salty at all, despite my reservations.

Cashews and raisins were pulped to the point where they couldn't be seen (might add the raisins after blending, next time)

Sliced into chunks and individually wrapped - most went in the freezer, but a couple we t in the jersey pocket for today's ride.

Ate one at the furthest point from home, and another by a lakeside, on the way back.

Very each to chew and swallow, no noticeable digestion issues.

Initial thoughts are favourable - got a freezer full of others for second opinions.

Another option for the arsenal, methinks.

Thanks, @dlovett

P.S. how large were your cakes, if you only got 10 out of a batch? (I suppose it also depends on how large your "cups" are)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

belugabob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:17 pm

Thanks, @dlovett

P.S. how large were your cakes, if you only got 10 out of a batch? (I suppose it also depends on how large your "cups" are)
I made them into portions that were about egg/golf ball sized and that was ten from the listed ingredients.

I'll add another recipe shortly.
javatime

Post by javatime »

belugabob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:17 pm Well, I got round to making some of the OPs recipe, yesterday...

Used cashews, because I had some, and raisins, because I like a bit of fruit in my flapjacks.

Almost killed my food processor, but added a bit more water just in time to loosen it up sufficiently.

The texture is surprisingly rubbery - a bit softer than bread pudding, but firm enough to handle.

Not salty at all, despite my reservations.

Cashews and raisins were pulped to the point where they couldn't be seen (might add the raisins after blending, next time)

Sliced into chunks and individually wrapped - most went in the freezer, but a couple we t in the jersey pocket for today's ride.

Ate one at the furthest point from home, and another by a lakeside, on the way back.

Very each to chew and swallow, no noticeable digestion issues.

Initial thoughts are favourable - got a freezer full of others for second opinions.

Another option for the arsenal, methinks.

Thanks, @dlovett

Note on cup size !!

Officially, a US Cup is 240ml (or 8.45 imperial fluid ounces.) This is slightly different from an Australian, Canadian and South African Cup which is 250ml. As long as you use the same cup for measuring out each of your ingredients, the proportions should work out the same.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

That - I like cup recipes as you can use anything at all as its just about ratios and they remain the same [ though i do have some actual "proper" measuring cups]
javatime

Post by javatime »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:39 pm That - I like cup recipes as you can use anything at all as its just about ratios and they remain the same [ though i do have some actual "proper" measuring cups]
I agree, fine if it is all cups but sometimes American recipes use "sticks of butter", or include fluid Oz's as well. This one has (American??) Tablespoons so I imagine you would need to know what those are as well
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

javatime wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:20 am
Lazarus wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:39 pm That - I like cup recipes as you can use anything at all as its just about ratios and they remain the same [ though i do have some actual "proper" measuring cups]
I agree, fine if it is all cups but sometimes American recipes use "sticks of butter", or include fluid Oz's as well. This one has (American??) Tablespoons so I imagine you would need to know what those are as well
For the original recipe I posted, the cups I used were UK measuring cups (250ML) and UK Tablespoons (15ml). I normal convert and store my recipes in Paprika using grams and ml.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I guess that the size of the cups doesn't matter, as long as everything else use the same cup.
All bets are off, though, when other ingredients are in specific measurements, as these don't scale with the cups.

Having said that, a lot of recipes can be tweaked, to suit preferences