Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

Re: Protein Suggestions

Post by Retiredtester »

:-bd sounds like a win!
ootini

Post by ootini »

I aim for 190g protein / day. And limit to 1900 calories / day.

I tend to ensure each and every meal I eat has protein as a core, then use protein shakes to fill in the gaps. I hate the milkshake variants so use clear "cordial-esque" supplements.

For natural protein sources I go for...
0% fat Fage yoghurt, tinned tuna, prewrapped spicy chicken fillet thingies, prawns, light babybell, sliced meats (turkey, chicken, pastrami)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Back in the hey days of my sad and lamentable rugby career, when I was 100kg of gristle (rather than 100kg of blubber) our coach plied us with egg white omelettes. 6 egg whites and one yolk. Everyday for breakfast. It was actually pretty tasty with some fried shrooms and peppers. There was no science behind it other than the simple thought that more protein + lifting big weights = larger BrownDogs.
I'm just going outside ...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I tend to eat a tin of tuna a day, feel like I am growing gills! Yoghurts are on my radar now ta.
ootini wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:31 pm I aim for 190g protein / day. And limit to 1900 calories / day.

I tend to ensure each and every meal I eat has protein as a core, then use protein shakes to fill in the gaps. I hate the milkshake variants so use clear "cordial-esque" supplements.

For natural protein sources I go for...
0% fat Fage yoghurt, tinned tuna, prewrapped spicy chicken fillet thingies, prawns, light babybell, sliced meats (turkey, chicken, pastrami)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

So I have got some of the Skyr and love it. I have been eating it mainly plain or adding frozen strawberries and bananas and its lovely. Today I had it with the Maxi choco protein shake mixed in and that was the best yet. Seems to be doing me some good and tastes great. I am also having a huel for breakfast or lunch every other day or so and a sainsburys pro-fit (got a lot of them very, very cheap) protein bar occasionally as a post gym or post run snack. I have also been eating a tin of tuna a 2/3 times a week and that's helping along. As a result of totally overhauling my diet, my protein intake numbers are now looking much closer to what I was advised to try and get to, more like 85-105% of the total on average rather than the 65-85 I was before and calories are matching what I need or are slightly under each day.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

So I have now tried about 4 brands. The maxi nutrition was the first and was very nice, but the most expensive. The next one I tried was the PHD which I found had a synthetic taste and I was glad when it was finished. Recommended here was the ON Gold Standard Whey. So far it's the best tasting. I then moved onto Sainsbury's Pro Fit Protein Powder as it was a good price. Almost as good as the ON but a a bit cheaper. Currently I am trying the Amazon Amfit Nutrition Whey Protein Powder. It's much cheaper than the others but it has a slight synthetic taste, but not as much as the PHD one. These experiences are only based upon one flavour of each brand, but are water mixed and coconut milk mixed at various ratios to see what difference it makes. The prices I mention were during various offers and some where cheaper than the prices I quote below.

Taste With Current (Retail prices)
1 ON Gold Standard Whey Double Rich Chocolate (Plus it's big plastic box is great when it's empty for other kitchen storage). £3.23 / 100g
2 Tie between Maxi Nutrition Maxwhey £5.95 / 100g and Sainsburys Pro Fit Protein Powder £3.15 / 100g
4 Amfit Nutrition Whey Protein Powder £2.02 /100 g
5 PHD Smart Protein £3.14 / 100g

The next tim I can get more ON Gold on special I'll buy another tub, any other suggestions ??

Thanks
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I think it's erroneous to dismiss protein shakes as not real food. It's simply the whey part of milk (the curds being used for cheese production).
It's pretty well purely protein too so very handy if you want to increase your intake without going crazy on the calories.
As someone who doesn't eat chicken often, it can be hard to get lots of protein. Eggs and fish are great but can get expensive. Too much tuna has health risks from heavy metals too. Tofu is nice but a block of it is only 20g protein.
As to how much you think you should eat. Work it out from your age, your activity levels and your goals, then go do your research and make what you hope is an informed decision based on current science.

P.s. I'm not fussy, I just make up the cheapest one I can find (currently Amfit) with water. It's fine.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Duncan, I've started training for an off road Everesting and the target is 3 months time. So am trying my best to optimise everything (with varying success as I'm yet to manage to delete fried foods from the diet).

I've added electrolytes replacement to my post ride/training days and also added protien powder. Didn't wanna waste too much money so asked the 18 year old who's been weight training religiouslyfor the past year or 2. Went with the Moose protien powder - confirmed by the wife and my son as being vege - from B&M. Only £15 for a large pack of about 33 servings.

Each serving having about 33g of protien and sugar free, so a real bonus for me IMO without becoming too scientific. So far I've definitely noticed a massive help. Muscles seem to be recovering alot faster and feeling much better than pre-training etc. Yesterday I did my 40 mile commute to York which would usually take me about 2H35 there and hopelessly slow on the way back.

Tried to go full steam in both directions and the return journey took me only 5 minutes more (moving time) than the route there. Definitely helping me IMHO but others feelings/observations may vary... Oh, and for added oomph on training days I've got on the Bullet proof coffee which is remarkable :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

rollindoughnut wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:05 pm I think it's erroneous to dismiss protein shakes as not real food. It's simply the whey part of milk (the curds being used for cheese production).
It's pretty well purely protein too so very handy if you want to increase your intake without going crazy on the calories.
As someone who doesn't eat chicken often, it can be hard to get lots of protein. Eggs and fish are great but can get expensive. Too much tuna has health risks from heavy metals too. Tofu is nice but a block of it is only 20g protein.
As to how much you think you should eat. Work it out from your age, your activity levels and your goals, then go do your research and make what you hope is an informed decision based on current science.

P.s. I'm not fussy, I just make up the cheapest one I can find (currently Amfit) with water. It's fine.
I tend to eat a tuna 4-5 times a week and a few eggs as well, but I have really gone of chicken in the last six months and don't do mug veg/tofu so these have really helped.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:54 pm Duncan, I've started training for an off road Everesting and the target is 3 months time. So am trying my best to optimise everything (with varying success as I'm yet to manage to delete fried foods from the diet).

I've added electrolytes replacement to my post ride/training days and also added protien powder. Didn't wanna waste too much money so asked the 18 year old who's been weight training religiouslyfor the past year or 2. Went with the Moose protien powder - confirmed by the wife and my son as being vege - from B&M. Only £15 for a large pack of about 33 servings.

Each serving having about 33g of protien and sugar free, so a real bonus for me IMO without becoming too scientific. So far I've definitely noticed a massive help. Muscles seem to be recovering alot faster and feeling much better than pre-training etc. Yesterday I did my 40 mile commute to York which would usually take me about 2H35 there and hopelessly slow on the way back.

Tried to go full steam in both directions and the return journey took me only 5 minutes more (moving time) than the route there. Definitely helping me IMHO but others feelings/observations may vary... Oh, and for added oomph on training days I've got on the Bullet proof coffee which is remarkable :-bd
Yep I agree the difference having the extra protein has made to my fitness and recovery, has made it really worth while for me. I've lost about 10kg this year and set new pb's at every running distance I have ever down as well as massive improvements in vo2 max and power output on the bike. I'm also lifting a lot more and for a test I found a week without any, I was a lot more hungry, tired and recovered from training much slower. In conjunction with recovery skins it's really helped. Friends, family and work mates have al been commenting on how trim and toned I look these days.

I'll check out the b&M one.

cheers
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I regularly eat three eggs a day, again after doing my research to decide who to believe. Stopped eating supermarket chicken and pork after finding out about industrial farming methods. Bridge to far for me.
redefined_cycles

Found the website but can't seem to find this specific stuff on that. Made by Applied Nutrition and super cheap. Might go and stock up, in case it's just so cheap cos it's being discontinued - which would make sense at it being in my local B&M
redefined_cycles

rollindoughnut wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:03 pm I regularly eat three eggs a day, again after doing my research to decide who to believe. Stopped eating supermarket chicken and pork after finding out about industrial farming methods. Bridge to far for me.
I thoughtabout the whites of eggs (which I recall from way back when) but it'd probably be a bit much for my head to handle...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I can see this one which looks pretty good value, but will try the local store tomorrow for the moose one.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/sci ... rry-397729
redefined_cycles

dlovett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:06 pm I can see this one which looks pretty good value, but will try the local store tomorrow for the moose one.

Yes, I reckon check the local store. My guesstimate theory (confident in it from looking around) is that they may have been underselling the product so pulled it. I'm gonna walk down shortly and stock up too.

Back story (regarfs both the bullit proof coffee, whey powder and electrolytes) is that I calledy mate who's been a power lifter for the past 35 years and so far as I believe never taken any dodgy stuff - still looks fit and healthy with no popping viens or health issues and outlifts most people at the gym AFAIK. He mentioned the protein powder specifically ensuring there's Branch Chain Amino Acids mentioned in the protein mix (I know, AAs are simple blocks of protein). The MuscleMoose and BCAAs - indeed, mentioned... Tastes good too. Taking it twice per day and no feelings of sickliness etc :-bd

Not replacing the meals with it mind :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:17 pm
dlovett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:06 pm I can see this one which looks pretty good value, but will try the local store tomorrow for the moose one.

Yes, I reckon check the local store. My guesstimate theory (confident in it from looking around) is that they may have been underselling the product so pulled it. I'm gonna walk down shortly and stock up too.

Back story (regarfs both the bullit proof coffee, whey powder and electrolytes) is that I calledy mate who's been a power lifter for the past 35 years and so far as I believe never taken any dodgy stuff - still looks fit and healthy with no popping viens or health issues and outlifts most people at the gym AFAIK. He mentioned the protein powder specifically ensuring there's Branch Chain Amino Acids mentioned in the protein mix (I know, AAs are simple blocks of protein). The MuscleMoose and BCAAs - indeed, mentioned... Tastes good too. Taking it twice per day and no feelings of sickliness etc :-bd

Not replacing the meals with it mind :-bd
I think you could be right, still the sci-mx one is £8 a bag cheaper than the manufacturer. IF they have any moose I'll stock up and hope I like it!!
redefined_cycles

From the top of my head, the flavours coming recommended by him were Vanilla, then caramel and third, the chocolat honeycomb. The choc hineycomb is what I managed to buy and it's rather tasty :smile:
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Blueberry cheesecake from MyProtein, or lemon cheesecake from Amfit are nice enough to be drunk for pleasure. Just!

Am currently drinking a glass of milk though as it was in the fridge and I was thirsty. Best not overthink things too much. For me, weight training before work, on my feet all day, then often running or riding in the evening, I just need lots of food from every available source 😆
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

rollindoughnut wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:24 pm Blueberry cheesecake from MyProtein, or lemon cheesecake from Amfit are nice enough to be drunk for pleasure. Just!

Am currently drinking a glass of milk though as it was in the fridge and I was thirsty. Best not overthink things too much. For me, weight training before work, on my feet all day, then often running or riding in the evening, I just need lots of food from every available source 😆
I was going to try that amfit flavour but they seem to be out of stock of most of them currently
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Our local h&’ has loads of chocolate, strawberry, salted caramel and choco hazelnut, so I got a bag of each to try. Hopefully it all tastes nice!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

They also have 2kg if scimax strawberry or chocolate for £17.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

So I have tried the Moose Choco Hazelnut and I'd rate it somewhere between the Amfit and PHD for taste. As soon as I opened it I could just smell a chemical type tang to to it and there is something in the taste that is similar to the Amfit/PHD taste. Perfectly drinkable as a protein shake, but not something I'd just want to drink for the taste like the ON/MN/Pro Fit ones. Most likely a good thing. I also got the other half a bottle of the SciMax Vegan Chocolate from B&M and she took one sip and said no "whey". Again the Scimax has the same syntheticness about it.

I guess the other Moose flavours will be similar, so I have a couple of months supply that at least I will only drink when actually needed. Going forward, when I have drunk this 5kg worth of stuff, I'd most likely go back to the ON or pro fit in a different flavour. However some people might love the Moose and value for money it's the best by far price wise.
Taste With Current (Retail prices)
1 ON Gold Standard Whey Double Rich Chocolate (Plus it's big plastic box is great when it's empty for other kitchen storage). £3.23 / 100g
2 Tie between Maxi Nutrition Maxwhey £5.95 / 100g and Sainsburys Pro Fit Protein Powder £3.15 / 100g
4 Amfit Nutrition Whey Protein Powder £2.02 /100 g
5 PHD Smart Protein £3.14 / 100g
redefined_cycles

Duncan. Thanks very much for this feedback of your findings. I'm also constantly on the look out for max natural ingredients and minimal synthetic stuff. Helped with my back pain over the years and only buy unpasterurised and organic milk when we can afford it (for example).

Is the ON vegetarian friendly? Is this number one choice of yours the one that's most natural and best tasting then?

I'm gonna be on the protein shakes - currently have mixed the Moose with some water and milk with a jig blob of raw honey for the midway point in todays training out on the mtb hill repeats - for at least 3 months I think so don't wanna be downing 2 years worth of synthetic rubnish that I've managed to avoid over the last 12 years.

Oh, and have you considered the protien stuff from Veloforte. Imon a sub with em and the lectrolytes as well as other foods are all raw and wholesome. Briefly took a look at prices and they too mention the whatever chain amino acids! So defo a good thing I guess...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

https://veloforte.com/collections/protein-super-shakes

Don't lile the fact that most of their stuff is vegan though. So not sure how 'wholesome' or tasty lots of protien from peas and other garden stuff is gonna be?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

When I have some time I’ll go through the ingredients and see what common ones the “chemically” ones have, perhaps to avoid others that have it. I think the on was veggie but not vegan. As I am neither a full fat beef one would do if it tasted nice! The other half has had a vegan natural one recommended by a nutritionist friend. I’ll get the details of it and pass them on.