Do-it-all gravel tyre

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Do-it-all gravel tyre

Post by ootini »

Hello. I'm looking for new tyres for my soon to be new wheelset.
I'm not looking for anything niche, just good all rounders for a 50/50 split of paved and unpaved surfaces. So one tyre for everything.
I'd rather avoid WTB due to very poor experiences in the past.
700c in the 45mm ish range, ideally.
Must be tubeless compatible.
Black would be nice, as tan wall is minging.

What say ye?

Current options are...

Maxxis Rambler
Schwalbe G-one Overland
Pirelli Cinturato gravel m
Last edited by ootini on Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faustus

Re: Do-it-all gravel tyre

Post by faustus »

+1 for Ramblers but also teravail Rutlands look good, if expensive. They come in black option too.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I've been running Shwalbe G-one Ultrabites on my gravel bike for the last 12 months, great tyres, would definitely recommend

Edit: only 38mm though, sorry missed that bit
Last edited by Shewie on Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Shewie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:13 pm I've been running Shwalbe G-one Ultrabites on my gravel bike for the last 12 months, great tyres, would definitely recommend
The Ultrabites are the chunkiest variant of G-one?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ootini wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:13 pm
Shewie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:13 pm I've been running Shwalbe G-one Ultrabites on my gravel bike for the last 12 months, great tyres, would definitely recommend
The Ultrabites are the chunkiest variant of G-one?
I think so. They are good and grippy but the rubber is quite soft and so they wear down quickly ime. Maybe not the best for 50/50 road/off.
I often hear stories of poor WTB tyres but my experience of them has always been very positive. I have Nano 29er, Riddler and Resolute 700c and they’ve all behaved impeccably.
You’ll probably ignore this but if I had one tyre on all the time I’d have a Riddler or Raddler depending on how muddy your ‘gravel’ is.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

+++++1 for the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M. Yes they're tan wall, but you don't notice when they're covered in poor show. Good puncture resistance, and they roll nicely over and through everything, other than slop. I really like mine, to the point where I'm thinking of getting some 35mm Gravel H to run on the road.

I've previously run Conti Terra Trail, Panaracer GravelKing SK and WTB Resolute Dual DNA SG2, I'd buy the Cinturato Gravel M again over all of those. The Terra Trail had such a small window between pinch flat and too hard; the GravelKings while nice and big, weren't very puncture resistant and ended up with loads of anchovies in them (the sidewalls aren't very cut resistant either); the Resolute were initially great, but horrific in the wet and I managed to get some nasty punctures with them.

While the Cinturato Gravel M have picked up some nasty thorns and what not, they've always sealed with Orange Endurance, and I haven't had to do anything other than put a bit more air in them. I'd highly recommend them, although YMMV, etc, etc...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Stuff I've ridden:
G-One all-round 40c: Roll well, grip on most dry stuff, instantly turn into gripless slicks when encountering mud. Wore OK, right up until the point they decided they were knackered and suffered constant punctures after that.
WTB Resolute 42c: Roll a lot better on road than the knobbles might suggest. Great ride, grippy on pretty much everything up until deep mud where you'd be better off with proper MTB tyres or cross spikes. Downside is the sidewalls not enjoying rocky downhills where I got too enthusiastically underbiked. The blackwall SG2 version might be worth a look?
Teravail Cannonball 42c: Roll well, bit more durable than the WTBs, less grip on loose/soft stuff. Mine seem to have slightly weepy sidewalls, but not problematically so.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Any further suggestions on this topic? I'm close to pulling the trigger, but I know the second I do, someone will pop up with a strong reason I shouldn't have bought something...
errol

Post by errol »

Maxxis Rambler here too!

Tubeless, easy rolling on tarmac etc, not too draggy with good grip elsewhere. Highly recommend!

Oh and easy to get onto rim!
Kuman

Post by Kuman »

Pirelli Gravel M are brilliant. Note they come up quite big. 45mm are more like 50mm.
Instagram (mainly bike stuff) https://www.instagram.com/dizzy_cyclist/
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Boab wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:51 pm [...]Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M. Yes they're tan wall [...]
Cinturatos all come in black or tan wall. Tan wall usually 5 - 10 % lighter, but possibly a little less puncture/tear resistant.

So far I've ridden Schwalbe G-One Allround and the RS version, Maxxis Rambler, WTB Raddler and Riddler and Cinturato Gravel H and found the Gravel H to be the best for my needs (mostly >50 % off road of all sorts). Come in 4 mm wider than specified on internally 25 mm hookless rims and have a great profile.
Good balance of speed, grip and wear, works well at different pressures, TL set up dead easy. A superb tyre.

I can imagine a Gravel RC front, Gravel H rear combo works really well for those looking for more purchase up front.

Currently riding Raddlers (my current winter tyres), which are very square on my rims, feel much slower and seem to only rely on the shoulder knobs for purchase beyond the Gravel H. The Raddlers also feel squirmy in turns on hard pack, probably a narrower rim would suit them better, but then they're even harsher. Unfortunately they come with a small volume and width, don't measure up to specced width.
Given this, once they're run down, I'll try Cinturato Gravel S for the slop, since my experience with the other Cinturato is so positive.

My recommendation; Cinturato Gravel H, RC, S or a mix, depending on surface. Go with largest possible width (remember to add about 4 mm, depending on rim).