Speedgoats

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Speedgoats

Post by dlovett »

Does anybody here own a pair of Speedgoats by any chance? If so what are your thoughts and how do they compare to any other trail shoes you own or have owned?
Also used ones, if they look clean and not knackered, anything else that might cause an issue?

TIA
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Speedgoats

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've a pair of Speedgoat 2 if IIRC the model correct (blue and orange colourway).

I ran (in an amateur, old and heavy, C25K way, though very happily) in Brookes Calderas and Cascadias, Altra summats, Saucony Peregrines and various Inov8.

The Speedgoats were best and Calderas a very close second.

Speedgoats were renowned for being narrow but my version (redesigned to be wider) was fine. The Calderas were broader and, though it never really bothered me, a bit sloppy/looser in the forefoot.

I havent run for a.while now but wear the Speedgoats all the time as "regular" trainers. They are still lovely and pillow like. IMO much better build quality than the Calderas, or at least some models.

Running trainers and their constant redesigns are bloody ridiculous though so who knows what current versions are like :???:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:26 pm I've a pair of Speedgoat 2 if IIRC the model correct (blue and orange colourway).

I ran (in an amateur, old and heavy, C25K way, though very happily) in Brookes Calderas and Cascadias, Altra summats, Saucony Peregrines and various Inov8.

The Speedgoats were best and Calderas a very close second.

Speedgoats were renowned for being narrow but my version (redesigned to be wider) was fine. The Calderas were broader and, though it never really bothered me, a bit sloppy/looser in the forefoot.

I havent run for a.while now but wear the Speedgoats all the time as "regular" trainers. They are still lovely and pillow like. IMO much better build quality than the Calderas, or at least some models.

Running trainers and their constant redesigns are bloody ridiculous though so who knows what current versions are like :???:
The current ones are 5’s and universally seem to be liked assum8ng the fit is good. I use Hoka Clifton 8’s for road and supposedly the sg5 is the same shoe with an off road tread, so I think they would work for me.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I checked and my SGs are 4s, not 2s. Brainfart moment, clearly :lol:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:31 pm I checked and my SGs are 4s, not 2s. Brainfart moment, clearly :lol:
Ah that's good to know, as Hoka sell new mk4's on their outlet shop for a lot less then a new or even 2nd hand mk5.

Just need the knee to heal then I might be worth investing in a pair.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm currently using SG4s. They're OK except that the material used in the shell is quite "stiff" so where it flexes around the joint of my small toe it has cracked. I've already bought replacements and I'm opting for the Challenger ATRs I used previously.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:46 pm I'm currently using SG4s. They're OK except that the material used in the shell is quite "stiff" so where it flexes around the joint of my small toe it has cracked. I've already bought replacements and I'm opting for the Challenger ATRs I used previously.
That's not been my experience but YMMV :cool:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, I reckon it'll depend on just how each person's foot matches the fit of their shoe and where any resulting folds are.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's what your foot fits.

Speedgoats have always felt clunky to me. Ive owned Hokas in the past - SGs don't work for me.

Currently on my third pair of Peregrines for traily duties. Had very unhappy milages from Torrents/T2s in the past. SO I've not gone back to Hoka in a while.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:46 pm I'm currently using SG4s. They're OK except that the material used in the shell is quite "stiff" so where it flexes around the joint of my small toe it has cracked. I've already bought replacements and I'm opting for the Challenger ATRs I used previously.
What’s the fit difference between sg4 and the art’s? I will have to buy blind and can only base it on the Clifton 8’s with custom insoles I have which fit perfectly.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

GregMay wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:37 pm It's what your foot fits.

Speedgoats have always felt clunky to me. Ive owned Hokas in the past - SGs don't work for me.

Currently on my third pair of Peregrines for traily duties. Had very unhappy milages from Torrents/T2s in the past. SO I've not gone back to Hoka in a while.
Which peregrines do you have and how do they compare fit wise to the Speedgoat you had?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I have 11s and 12s. They are a little tighter on the midfoot but feel the same forefoot. Not as plush, but the lower stack height feels better on the terrain we have round here.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

GregMay wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:56 pm I have 11s and 12s. They are a little tighter on the midfoot but feel the same forefoot. Not as plush, but the lower stack height feels better on the terrain we have round here.
Price wise they are very good compared to Hoka's, just need to find somebody that sells them so I can try a pair and see how they fit.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

The Saucony's I used were 7s :o However, unless the design has changed radically then you aren't comparing apples with apples. Peregrines were / are more like "proper" trail running shoes i.e. a low to medium level of sole thickness / shock absorbency. Meanwhile the Speedgoats are maximum padding type shoes, great big pillows of foam with greatly increased shock absorbency and a greater "ride height" (or whatever the term is).

For me, wanting comfort and compensation for being older, heavier etc I would pick the Speedgoats, irrespective of price. The Saucony's will be great if they fit and if you don't want lots of cushioing but they are quite a different type of shoe (with provisos re: models etc). Given you're already running in Hokas I'd assumed you wanted something with max-padding.

I also agree with Greg about the Peregrine's fit (even in my ancient model) - low volume in the mid foot so tight. I found them too small in that area and the pressure of the laces cut off circulation across the top of my foot. Gave them to a mate who's foot-fitted.

Anyhoo, I don't know your criteria so comments maybe irrelevant so offered only in case you weren't clear about the potential differences.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:29 pm The Saucony's I used were 7s :o However, unless the design has changed radically then you aren't comparing apples with apples. Peregrines were / are more like "proper" trail running shoes i.e. a low to medium level of sole thickness / shock absorbency. Meanwhile the Speedgoats are maximum padding type shoes, great big pillows of foam with greatly increased shock absorbency and a greater "ride height" (or whatever the term is).

For me, wanting comfort and compensation for being older, heavier etc I would pick the Speedgoats, irrespective of price. The Saucony's will be great if they fit and if you don't want lots of cushioing but they are quite a different type of shoe (with provisos re: models etc). Given you're already running in Hokas I'd assumed you wanted something with max-padding.

I also agree with Greg about the Peregrine's fit (even in my ancient model) - low volume in the mid foot so tight. I found them too small in that area and the pressure of the laces cut off circulation across the top of my foot. Gave them to a mate who's foot-fitted.

Anyhoo, I don't know your criteria so comments maybe irrelevant so offered only in case you weren't clear about the potential differences.
Thanks for all the info it was very useful. Various sources suggested that I try to get shoes with a similar drop (5 down to 4) and stack height (28/33 up to 34/38)to my Clifton's, so in the end I went with a pair of SG5's as I found some which seem to be genuine new ones in my size at a good price. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow and I have a nice route planed to test them out.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

They arrived today and I went out in them for a run after wearing them round the house for a couple of hours. Fit was perfect, exactly like my Clifton's which are the same size. On tarmac and pavement they were very comfy like the Clifton's, but you can feel the treds on them. Moved onto muddy hardpacked path and they were nice and grippy. That changed to gravel, big gravel, then very muddy hardpacked path. Eventually I had some beach stones but as the tide was in no sand. On all the surfaces, they felt grippy and I was in control. They didn't feel draggy and shed the mud very easily between strides.

Happy Bunny!!
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I use the same as you. Clifton 8s for road and speedgoats for trail. Work perfectly well for me.
I also love my Altra lone peaks when I'm in the mood (which is becoming more often it seems)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Only had two 5k runs in them, but the fit and comfort is perfect. Both runs were new 5k pb’s as well despite me not going for it too much. Can’t wait to get on to some new trails with them.