Stolen Goat buy Wildcat

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Stolen Goat buy Wildcat

Post by Boab »

Stolen Goat’s parent company acquires VeloVixen and Wildcat
Alongside the acquisition of VeloVixen, the newly formed Herd Group parent company has also expanded to include the bikepacking luggage brand Wildcat – a move that coincides with Stolen Goat’s recent foray into the gravel and mountain biking scene...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Re: Stolen Goat buy Wildcat

Post by RIP »

Well spotted

"Our vision for Wildcat is to make it the epicentre of all things adventure travel-related: bikepacking, camping, hiking… a huge range of outdoor adventure activities are on the agenda in the long-term. We’ll be bringing both third-party and in-house products to the growing Wildcat community, and we’re looking forward to taking this exciting brand to the next level.”
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I remember when this was all fields.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Better send them a box of matches
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Third owner of Wildcat then - or I am just a bit confused/behind (not for the first time)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:59 am Third owner of Wildcat then - or I am just a bit confused/behind (not for the first time)
The last time Steven posted about Shand I do seem to recall it sounding slightly complicated (or I may have read it in an interview of his... dunno). But yes, kindalike 3rd owner now once or twice removed Colin.

Don't think I'll be buying em now they're Stolen Goat...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:52 pm I remember when this was all fields.
:grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:54 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:59 am Third owner of Wildcat then - or I am just a bit confused/behind (not for the first time)
The last time Steven posted about Shand I do seem to recall it sounding slightly complicated (or I may have read it in an interview of his... dunno). But yes, kindalike 3rd owner now once or twice removed Colin.

Nah, it's not that complicated. Beth and Ian started it (a long time ago). Due to other things happening in their real lives, they closed it down / mothballed it back in 2018 (I think). Having known the brand, Ian and Beth for a long time and worked with them on a few projects when I was at Shand, I was sorry that the brand was going to disappear so the three of us decided to restart it. We've had a good time with it despite re-launching just as a global pandemic hit. All three of us had other things going on as well as Wildcat and I felt it was getting neglected. I looked to bring someone on board to take over the brand/direction/product stuff but never quite found the right person.

Tim (founder) at Stolen Goat is someone I've known for a long time and I really respect what he's done with Stolen Goat. He has the enthusiasm and resources to make the most of Wildcat so I'm really excited to see where he goes with it. I wish him all the best and will continue to look out for it and support it when I can.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:54 am Don't think I'll be buying em now they're Stolen Goat...
Ok, why not?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My only thought was wondering if they will start doing bags in the same funky patterns as the clothes in the same vein as WizardWorks and Swift.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:58 pm My only thought was wondering if they will start doing bags in the same funky patterns as the clothes in the same vein as WizardWorks and Swift.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

As an aside, we were criticized a little bit for having boring, dull fabrics on our bags. When we set out what we wanted in a bag design, looks always came way after functionality, durability and lightweight. So when you're looking for a fabric that allows you to meet those other three requirements, you end up having to live with whatever colour/pattern the fabric supplier can give you. I've always been ok with that. From what I know of Tim, and I don't claim to know all his plans for the brand, I don't think rolling it into the Stolen Goat brand makes sense. Otherwise, they could just have started doing their own thing without the headache of dealing with me!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I am absolutely function over fashion - i dont really care what it looks like as long as it works*- why would i care what the tiger wayfarer** looks like, its behind me ?

* having had a look at some of stolen goats clothing range its a bit bright zany 80's Mr motivator for me - though I did also buy a top in the sale[ plain yellow or mango as they call it ] - and i think i would rather have a more sedate colour.

I know nothing about the market and am unlikely to reflect it

** it really is a fantastic bit of kit. if I ever break it i will buy another, whatever colour way i have to use.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

stevenshand wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:14 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:58 pm My only thought was wondering if they will start doing bags in the same funky patterns as the clothes in the same vein as WizardWorks and Swift.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Neither really, I was just whimsically curious. That said, whichever they choose someone will grumble :grin: My wildcat set is nearly all in black and black does go with every colour but I can see a market for a matching ensemble. There always seems to be such a churn in brightly coloured jerseys - changing year on year to be 'fresh' but not sure if that's feasible for the bags.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:47 pm There always seems to be such a churn in brightly coloured jerseys - changing year on year to be 'fresh' but not sure if that's feasible for the bags.
Yeah, it's a tricky one. Most of the high-end fabric in use is usually destined for other (bigger) markets and the ultralight bikepacker/fastpacker industry feeds off of that production. That's why the colours etc always seem pretty dull. They need to offend as few people as possible.
Now that the bikepacking scene is much bigger, I can see the brands that are at the high volume end of the market being in a position to commission fabric specifically from them.
redefined_cycles

stevenshand wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:40 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:54 am Don't think I'll be buying em now they're Stolen Goat...
Ok, why not?
Their design ethos Steven. Nothing to do with their quality which I always read to be excellent. My mate bought their legendary jacket at my suggestion... But then a few of the designs became a bit distasteful for me :smile: Just my personal thingy, sorry... Twas related to an All Seeing Eye design. Them companies ain't for me but maybe this dynamic is different...

Dunno.. Will see :smile:
redefined_cycles

Nah, it's not that complicated. Beth and Ian started it (a long time ago). Due to other things happening in their real lives, they closed it down / mothballed it back in 2018 (I think). Having known the brand, Ian and Beth for a long time and worked with them on a few projects when I was at Shand, I was sorry that the brand was going to disappear so the three of us decided to restart it. We've had a good time with it despite re-launching just as a global pandemic hit. All three of us had other things going on as well as Wildcat and I felt it was getting neglected. I looked to bring someone on board to take over the brand/direction/product stuff but never quite found the right person.

Tim (founder) at Stolen Goat is someone I've known for a long time and I really respect what he's done with Stolen Goat. He has the enthusiasm and resources to make the most of Wildcat so I'm really excited to see where he goes with it. I wish him all the best and will continue to look out for it and support it when I can.
Thanks v much for this insight Steven.. I had always planned in the future to get one of the dcf bags. Maybe it'll still happen. Dunno. My lack of enthusiasm wasn't against Tim personally.

Just a religious preferance (yes, I'm one of them :smile: ).
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Sounds like good news whichever way you look at it if it keeps Wildcat going.
Stolen Goat were a fantastic help supporting SSUK22 & 23 in such a generous manner.
jameso

Post by jameso »

This is good news - seems like the right size of company with existing skills and crossovers to take it on.
I'd go for some of that if it went with the quality of design that Wildcat have, I like to see interesting patterns and colours in bikepacking bags. Have fun with it. Either that or plain black. Can see it being a stock headache but custom order at added cost is ok. All in all though Wildcat make technically excellent kit and that should come first.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:08 pm

Thanks v much for this insight Steven.. I had always planned in the future to get one of the dcf bags. Maybe it'll still happen. Dunno. My lack of enthusiasm wasn't against Tim personally.

Just a religious preferance (yes, I'm one of them :smile: ).
I have to ask, but what’s the religious preference in association with stolen goat/wildcat?
redefined_cycles

Good question Voodoo sir. Not WC as such. But years ago when I was in the process of buying a SG jacket they suddenly did a design of The All seeing eye.

It's generally taken as a sign of the dijjal/anti christ who our prophet warned us of. No offence to SG but when someone starts making emblems like that I just end up disassociating myself. I'm wierd :-bd
redefined_cycles

And.. and.. before it all spirals out of control. I should add it's a personal religious preferance. Maybe to do with my attention to detail... So I'd be all good wearing a legendary Stolen Goat jacket (in case any wishes to buy me one, don't hold back. But not a jersey with the one eye emblem on it (that wouldn't be allowed for defo).

Just to add, aside from all that. Stolen Goats are actually haram (forbidden) in Islam so 🤷 :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I'm very happy with my WC gear and will continue to support. Super light and functional. Can't see there being a big enough market to justify loads of patterns/colours of LS21 anyway (if its even possible) as I guess most people will go for cheaper/robuster, but I wouldn't mind a pattern with, say, a roaring bear on it.....

I wonder what Escape Goat thinks? :smile:

Anyway, I try to adhere to what Granny Perrin (and Thumper) used to say :smile: ...

Last edited by RIP on Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Thanks Shaf. I was wondering if the word had goat had anything to do with it, interesting to hear Stolen Goats being forbidden. I think it’s fair enough on your behalf if a company uses a religious symbol/idea for a jersey design then you don’t have to like the brand.

Thanks Shaf :-bd
redefined_cycles

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:21 pm Thanks Shaf. I was wondering if the word had goat had anything to do with it, interesting to hear Stolen Goats being forbidden. I think it’s fair enough on your behalf if a company uses a religious symbol/idea for a jersey design then you don’t have to like the brand.

Thanks Shaf :-bd
You're welcome Simon... But that also had me thinking that maybe the symbolism wasn't linked to The All Seeing Eye (some people don't actually think/know it's a thing) but instead just a copy of the back of a US dollar. Surely they'd never use such a thing :smile:

Btw... Well said Reg :-bd
[Edit: oh, and escaped goats too, not allowed until permission granted from owner whosnot necessarily the shepherd] :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I think most cycle clothing is boring so the SG stuff appeals. I already have some of their stripy socks. It's time we were able to get a load of flouro gear again.

Judging be the press release I'm expecting another Alpkit.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.