Lakes 2 Day

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tanglefist

Lakes 2 Day

Post by Tanglefist »

I modified the lakesland 200 considerably to try and get a 2 night (so ~2.5 days riding) route outtov it. Does it looks reasonable to you fellas? Both experienced mountain bikers, and we'll be on not-xc hardtails.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

I'm thinking of riding it anti-clockwise so we push up the bridleway near angle tarn rather than descend it because it looks challenging on a bikepacking setup. I was thinking of starting near Coniston but suggestions for a good place to ditch a car would be very welcome.

Any input is helpful, my knowledge of the lakes is pretty lacking.
Lazarus

Re: Lakes 2 Day

Post by Lazarus »

Map shows a route not involving hellvellyn and angle tarn
( On a phone so hard to tell till I get home re route )
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

It's hard to comment without knowing your experience of steep and rocky stuff, but it's certainly doable. Much of it has been covered on various Jennride routes, but that push up from Mickleden (Langdale) to Angle Tarn is 'hefty' and would come after a few hours riding. The descent to Wasdale from Styhead also involves a fair bit of walking. Is your plan to overnight in Wasdale, or are you thinking 1/2 day to Langdale, big day to Dunnerdale and finish from there?
There are also variations on the valley riding that will be more interesting/less road e.g. BW from Elterwater to Langdale, through the quarries of Little Langdale, along the back of the river in Eskdale.
Your route around the east of Tarn Hows could be better too, as I think you're following BWs too far east, that will involve more pushing, whereas you could just follow the old Monk's road towards High Arnside.
There's a big push up Harter Fell from Eskdale on your route, and another from Seathwaite in Dunnerdale. It looks like you've looked for a shortcut of the L200, seen that it involves the Angle Tarn/Mickleden BW and reversed the direction of everything else to avoid descending that. Not necessarily a problem, but does increase HaB elsewhere. Unless you really want to do the section from Angle Tarn to Wasdale, there are other options that still tour Langdale, Wasdale, Eskdale etc.
When are you planning on going?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 pm Map shows a route not involving hellvellyn and angle tarn
( On a phone so hard to tell till I get home re route )
There are two Angle Tarns in the Lakes :wink:

OP: leaving aside the section between Wasdale and Langdale for a moment, I'd say you are better going clockwise as per the L200. As an example the BW north of Stephenson Ground rides really nicely (one very short mildly technical section) from North to South but there'd be a good bit of pushing in the opposite direction. The section around Harter Fell between Birks Bridge and Eskdale going clockwise is easy riding up forest roads, a bit of cross country (a couple of bits that are unrideable) then a steep but non-technical descent. Going A/C you are pushing all the way up that descent, probably most of the cross country bit unless it's been very dry then you just get some fire roads to ride down.

Wasdale to Langdale (or vice-versa) - this is some of the toughest MTB ground you are going to come across. The climb (or descent) alongside Rossett Gill at the head of Mickleden is a push/carry/walk for most whichever direction you do it. I've not taken a bike on it but have walked it many times, I'd prefer to descend it with a bike in tow. Also the climb out of Wasdale is probably easier and at least a bit rideable.

Generally the BWs in the centre of the Lakes are big full-suss routes whereas those on the edges are much more rideable for most. The Jennride from a couple of years back headed from Staveley over to Wasdale and back, that might be an option

At Weekends (and during school holidays) you can park your car in the John Ruskin school car park, it's on Lake Road in Coniston. I think it's £3/day
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

There are two Angle Tarns in the Lakes
Ah and :oops: at least three grizedales as well may be more but I can name and place three
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

It's hard to comment without knowing your experience of steep and rocky stuff, but it's certainly doable.
Plenty in the peaks, not normally loaded though. I'm not cocky about it - the Lakes is a real step up from my local stuff.
Much of it has been covered on various Jennride routes, but that push up from Mickleden (Langdale) to Angle Tarn is 'hefty' and would come after a few hours riding. The descent to Wasdale from Styled also involves a fair bit of walking. Is your plan to overnight in Wasdale, or are you thinking 1/2 day to Langdale, big day to Dunnerdale and finish from there?
I wasn't gonna decide how to split it up until I'd got close to finalising the route.
There are also variations on the valley riding that will be more interesting/less road e.g. BW from Elterwater to Langdale, through the quarries of Little Langdale, along the back of the river in Eskdale.

Your route around the east of Tarn Hows could be better too, as I think you're following BWs too far east, that will involve more pushing, whereas you could just follow the old Monk's road towards High Arnside.

There's a big push up Harter Fell from Eskdale on your route, and another from Seathwaite in Dunnerdale. It looks like you've looked for a shortcut of the L200, seen that it involves the Angle Tarn/Mickleden BW and reversed the direction of everything else to avoid descending that. Not necessarily a problem, but does increase HaB elsewhere. Unless you really want to do the section from Angle Tarn to Wasdale, there are other options that still tour Langdale, Wasdale, Eskdale etc.
I've modified that bit to reflect your advice - I think.

Sounds like it'd be better to go clockwise and just deal with the descent near angle tarn?
When are you planning on going?
End of March, but if the weather's likely to be grim we'll delay because living on Manchester has made me nesh
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Generally the BWs in the centre of the Lakes are big full-suss routes whereas those on the edges are much more rideable for most. The Jennride from a couple of years back headed from Staveley over to Wasdale and back, that might be an option
I'll have a look. Riding these loaded might be needlessly punishing.
At Weekends (and during school holidays) you can park your car in the John Ruskin school car park, it's on Lake Road in Coniston. I think it's £3/day
Thanks!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You say you ride in the Peak a lot. The BW going south from The Newfield Arms at Seathwaite (Dunnerdale) would be a bit like pushing up the rubbly bit of Potato Alley by Derwent reservoir only four times longer! I've ridden most of your route apart from the Wasdale-Langdale bit on a loaded rigid 29er without any major problems.

Just noticed something: in Langdale between the Stickle Barn and Elterwater it looks like the second half follows a farm track that is a FP but isn't a BW, the BW crosses the beck then heads S past Oak Howe and contours round under the fellside to rejoin your current line. http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=330772&Y=505557&A=Y&Z=120

In the same area but a bit south... I'm not sure what that BW to the east and then south of Hodge Close is like, I've certainly never ridden it. There's also a nice BW that parallels the main road back into Coniston.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

the rubbly bit of Potato Alley
I think that's called "Potato Alley". But seriously, I check out your suggestions next time I'm on desktop.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

In March, you're probably better basing a 3 day tour on a Jennride route, rather than the L200. Conditions can be harsh higher up in spring, even on an unloaded bike. Going over Jacobs Ladder, Edale is about 530m asl, whereas Angle Tarn to Styhead is 730m. There are hundreds of miles of great trails to be had lower down with minimal HaB
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30463078?lang=en Jennride 2019
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

In March, you're probably better basing a 3 day tour on a Jennride route, rather than the L200. Conditions can be harsh higher up in spring, even on an unloaded bike. Going over Jacobs Ladder, Edale is about 530m asl, whereas Angle Tarn to Styhead is 730m. There are hundreds of miles of great trails to be had lower down with minimal HaB.
That route looks really good, might be a winner.