The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by RIP »

... with my nice clean sleeping bags, oh and my hat as a freebie. Sheepshit and ditch water stains banished completely.

Thank you David at Mountaineering Designs in Grange-over-Sands. Very knowledgeable and experienced chap. Done my cleaning several times over the years.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

...and dropped off a new set of 165mm cranks to hopefully give my knees an easier time. Cheaper than expected as I didn't pay German VAT or duty here :-bd
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Dropped off a lovely synthetic quilt from GramXpert. Very excited to try it out! Didn't have to pay any duty either :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:19 am Hopefully the last and final 1p tent I'll ever need/buy. A DD :-bd
Legend has it (well Durston mentions in Shewies forum) that it can take a 120cm pole nicely so my carefully 'hanging on to' Bearbones poles might not go to sale :grin:
At £0.01 , Shouldn't that be in Bargain Alert thread. :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ledburner wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:45 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:19 am Hopefully the last and final 1p tent I'll ever need/buy. A DD :-bd
Legend has it (well Durston mentions in Shewies forum) that it can take a 120cm pole nicely so my carefully 'hanging on to' Bearbones poles might not go to sale :grin:
That is so true Dan :smile:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:48 am
ledburner wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:45 pm
That is so true Dan :smile:
So which model tent is it, DD 8s Durston designs right no DD hammock range of tent so confused.
Boab

Post by Boab »

ledburner wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:23 pm So which model tent is it, DD 8s Durston designs right no DD hammock range of tent so confused.
https://durstongear.com/
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Boab wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:29 pm
ledburner wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:23 pm So which model tent is it, DD 8s Durston designs right no DD hammock range of tent so confused.
I read it again. I thought the tent was call the Legend .... :roll: dooh.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A very nice Rab gillet from Tim and a secondhand Buell workshop manual from a nice bloke on FB ... I can be warm while I read :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:34 pm
Sorry Dan. I thought I may cause some confusion. Thanks Bob for the clarification. Dan, theyresypposed to be the bees knees and Ivejust put it uo with 2 different length poles (121.5 and 120cm) and amazingly I managed without much sag. Can sit in it uoright too and with a bit of practice I reckon I could get it put up in about 5 mins.

My pitch isn't storm proof though so will have to look at that. Too high off the ground which I imagine the guy lines about the pole (position) would help..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:38 pm
ledburner wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:34 pm
Sorry Dan. I thought I may cause some confusion. Thanks Bob for the clarification. Dan, theyresypposed to be the bees knees and Ivejust put it uo with 2 different length poles (121.5 and 120cm) and amazingly I managed without much sag. Can sit in it uoright too and with a bit of practice I reckon I could get it put up in about 5 mins.

My pitch isn't storm proof though so will have to look at that. Too high off the ground which I imagine the guy lines about the pole (position) would help..
Yep made near Calgary ,BC ,canada
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

And in drops a Titus Silkroad :oops:

Looks good leaning in the kitchen, may swap the tyres but the rest is staying. Need to order a rear rack for it but first, need a ride on it this afternoon :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

ArcticDry "100% waterproof sports socks".

Yes I know I know, "waterproof" never is... Sealskinz, etc etc never worked for me (hence Temres gloves as per other thread :wink: ). But I've had waterproof socks for quite a while now. Recently worn with sandals, as I've previously bored you about. Had a lot of use and the membrane's getting a bit ropey now (maybe I haven't taken enough care when washing them).

Existing ones were cheap n cheerful so I've edged up the scale a bit with ArcticDry. The marketing waffle goes on about standing in a bucket of water for ten minutes or something and coming out bone dry, so that sounds a good start.

Actually, standing in a bucket of water for ten minutes sounds like a valuable use of time anyway, waterproof socks or not, so I might just nip off and give that a try.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Great British gravel rides dropped through the box although it looks like Markus doesn’t like north Wales or middle England

Other than that, looks marvellous
Attachments
9B9300FC-4A56-4620-B6FB-5FDC63937F26.jpeg
9B9300FC-4A56-4620-B6FB-5FDC63937F26.jpeg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
RIP

Post by RIP »

.... with a standby shell jacket. Well it's me birthday. And it was half price on Sport Pursuit. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise. Now hidden until the current one wears out which admittedly could be ages.

So when my Rab wore out years ago, I got a Marmot Essence which was just under 200g. Destroyed in action on its first outing during the infamous Long Mynd Winter Bivvy a few years ago, when I came a cropper on some road ice and slid a few hundred (?) yards down the road on my back, literally shredding the jacket to ribbons. Bought another immediately but even then they were becoming hard to find and I've never seen one since. It's been superb and still fully water/windproof. Definitely one of those "shouldve bought a duplicate at the same time" situations. I know DWRs are now "out" in This Place but I love the ultralight weight and pocket packability.

So, I discovered the Essence replacement is the Bantamweight and even lighter. But now that is out-of-print too, sigh! However a few days ago I was browsing to reminisce about the Essence (well, just about beats cat videos I suppose), and the Bantamweight popped up again. Tried to order it under half price ("discontinued") on 'marmotuksale.co.uk'. Obviously in retrospect it was a scam site but it was so well done I only noticed right at the end when it tried to charge me Singapore pounds!

So, and thanks for bearing with me so far, I then clocked it on Sport Pursuit. Quick, quick, hit the button!

So here it is, 153g on Mrs P's scales, 2.5 Pertex Shield, pockets, hood, the whole fairground. 153g, blimey.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hate to say this Reg but my Rab downpour trews are 2.5 pertex shield and they aren't noticeably waterproof.... I tend to use them as an extra layer when I'm walking or riding for a short distance, knowing they will leak.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hmmm... right well I'd better go and test it by putting it on and standing in the shower. Claims 20000HH.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The Rab site says similar, but all the reviews say they aren't. This was a few years ago so maybe they have improved it?
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:37 pm A very nice Rab gillet from Tim and a secondhand Buell workshop manual from a nice bloke on FB ... I can be warm while I read :-bd
Oohhh I had a S1 White Lightning (technically a Lightning Strike as it wasn't White) for 13years .... fabulous bike.
RIP

Post by RIP »

During lockdown (remember that?) I participated in the Monster Cross "ride". You got a nice badge and everything. Sadly, said badge was lost on No Sheep Til Buxton the other weekend. A very nice person from This Place has kindly given me his one, thank you, so I can now happily "Give Zero F@%ks" again about how far I ever ride. Go on, rise above the numbers, you can give 'em up any time, fly free as a bird without that burden round your neck :grin: .

Last edited by RIP on Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

A rather exclusive Grass up the Middle buff and some stickers too :-bd
Attachments
4526186D-CFFA-46C9-98BA-A2916091A07D.jpeg
4526186D-CFFA-46C9-98BA-A2916091A07D.jpeg (279.64 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered a narrow wide ring for the Scandal. Plus a replacement SPD body plate for one of the pedals on the Scandal.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Brought me some heavily discounted longjons by Dickies. Been wearing the Sondico under-thermals under my trousers at work but they've been absolutely rubbish.

These on the other hand are ace... https://www.rsis.co.uk/thermal-under-tr ... johns-p587 I'm not a 2xl but if I was these would be snapped in a jiffy... I got mine off ebay (so now have a large and a medium :-bd ).
rivers

Post by rivers »

My tailfin aeropack arrived this week. Now to sell the 15 litre saddlebag or keep it for a bit, that is the question.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Well not quite the postie, but I’ve just had the email from the best bike shop on the planet, to say my new wheels are ready.
Can’t wait to pick them up at the weekend :cool:
2924 miles per Gallon