TT bars on flat mountain bar

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mythste

TT bars on flat mountain bar

Post by Mythste »

Hello!

I’m hoping someone can help me find the simple solution that seems to be fluttering somewhere outside of where I can find it.

I’ve got a long distance bicycle I’m building up and I’m struggling to find a way in which I can put my TT bars on my flat MTB bars as well as finding a spot for my Exposure 6 pack. There isn’t enough 35mm round section for both. The TT bars are Pro Missile.

I’m not sure if I have an unusually wide stem or unusually narrow clamping section. Both the stem and the bars are Olsen (but suspect probably quite generic).

Has anyone found a way to mount a 6-pack to TT bars that won’t fall off on the Dales Divide?

If I’m coming at this from completely the wrong angle I’d welcome any further insight. Unless that insight is to buy a dynamo system because I’m not quite ready for that…

Many thanks!

Stephen
Boab

Re: TT bars on flat mountain bar

Post by Boab »

You need an aero bridge, or some other universal computer mount type thing...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

You can get exposure mounts that fit on the stem cap or under a Garmin out-front mount that are pretty robust, but no doubt you have a bag on the front so under the bars won't work.

A 24hr TT trick was to chop a short piece of old handlebar and ziptie through it to fit it between your TT bags, creating the 'bridge' for light bar mounts that Boab is thinking of.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I've found that modern mountain bike handlebars have very small "normal" sized clamping areas around the stem then slim down very quickly. Makes it hard to put on bell, GPS, light mounts etc, without using loads of rubber spacers underneath.
I couldn't get TT extensions to go on mine unless they were hard against the stem which is pretty useless
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Boab wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:43 pm You need an aero bridge, or some other universal computer mount type thing...
Marvellous work! These were the terms that seemed to be evading me.

I’m going to do some measuring today but this aero bridge seems to be suitable - https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/profile-des ... gJbLvD_BwE

I’m conscious I want something that clamps on both sides and can’t rotate as the Six Pack is a hefty old beast.

Thanks!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I designed and printed one for exactly what you wanted.

Here are the details.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15620&p=194986&hili ... 3d#p194986