Wtd: Down filled/very warm mat:

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Wtd: Down filled/very warm mat:

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone got one they'd like to get rid of (but not rubbish one that they'd like to rid themselves of).

Budget: Not much

Why: cos it's cold in my house with a -5 bag and I'm on the BAM

When: ASAP so I'm not leaving this months BAM til last min.

Ta, thanks...
redefined_cycles

Re: Wtd: Down filled/very warm mat:

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/rap ... eping-mat/

Might have to invest in one of these. Seem decent and not too pricy!
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Neoair xlite has same r value shaf and is a bit lighter. Can be had for 120 quid at the mo... Or does it have to be down?
redefined_cycles

Retiredtester wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:31 am Neoair xlite has same r value shaf and is a bit lighter. Can be had for 120 quid at the mo... Or does it have to be down?
Nah. Doesn't have to be down. Just needs to keep me warmer with a better r value. £120 seems good. I was advised about this https://www.hardloop.co.uk/product/1289 ... eeping-pad to go under my Thermarest Neoair but then I'm carrying etxra bulk and alot of weight. R of 2 seems reasonable to insulate the current mat :grin:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

My old Exped downmat is a big old lump Shaf, not something I'd want to use on a bike trip I don't think, not sure if the more recent ones have changed though.

I'd probably look for an Xtherm, there's some decent deals about now they've released their new NXT range
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Add a cheapo foam mat between your bag and your airmat to boost it?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW my Exped HL7 has an R value of 3.2 (IIRC) and works for me all year.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I recently got this:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatabl ... RED_ORANGE

It's got an r value of 3.3 and I found it fine at about 6 degrees C. and I would trust it down to below freezing but not sure how much below.
The description is a bit pessimistic though mine comes in at 640g and its volume is just marginally bigger than a 2 litre soft drink bottle. Personally I couldn't justify the cost of an Exped etc as I already have a super lightweight Klymit for spring through autumn.
P
Edit to add, iirc you might be a big lad(?), if so they have a 195 x 60 version too.
redefined_cycles

Thanks everyone. If I don't manage to find someone selling a used one I'll probably go for the Thermarest cell foam mat option. Will see if someone wants to to buy my Thermarest Neoair in case I might even be able to afford the xtherm version!

Peter, higher R value is seriously impirtant for me for the mo as I've only just gotten past a 4 week chest infection in December and almost brewing another already with the recent weather change...
redefined_cycles

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/folding-f ... 712&c=GREY

Just checked the Decathlon aite for the foam/cell mat. 11.5L volume... Surely that can't be right!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:00 pm https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/folding-f ... 712&c=GREY

Just checked the Decathlon aite for the foam/cell mat. 11.5L volume... Surely that can't be right!
Sounds about right Shaf. My Karrimor sleeping mat rolled is 58cm(height) x 16cm (dia) which works out at 11.7 litres, though it could be rolled a little tighter. I've seen some backpackers carrying something similar to that Decathlon mat and it is a big bulky thing strapped to the top of the rucksac. On the positive side though my Karrimor mat weighs in at 400g so pretty light really.
Not really designed for fitting between drop bars :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you do go down the 'adding an additional mat' route, remember it'll be more benefit if you place it on top rather than below an existing air mat .... doing it that way will help limit how much convection can take place within the air mat.
May the bridges you burn light your way