The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Boab »

... and delivered a shock pump and tyre sealant. Just need the tyre now.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

That'll take a while to pump up like that! :lol:
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

... and delivered a new BB tent pole for the SMD Lunar Solo ! Cheers Stu :-bd

I've always thought the original was too short, just couldn't get the tent taut. When measured against the tent pole specs from SMD it came up over an inch short.
Contacted SMD, got through to the top fella there... Mr SMD as it were, not interested, said "it can't possibly be short". Not the easiest thing to prove. A photo never seemed to be definitive.
SMD said "send it back and we'll see".... which'd leave me out of pocket and without a tent pole... I pointed this out and they just weren't interested.
So I got a friend to make a plastic ferrule thing that extends the pole an inch or so... sort of sorted... But I was always concerned I'd lose it.... and I couldn't attach it as the pole then wouldn't fit in the frame bag.. x(

So having procrastinated for a few years, I finally ordered one from Stu ...and guess what!
a) it's fully 1.75" /4.5cm longer than the SMD Easton pole, and 1 cm longer than the original pole + the ferrule !
b) it is thicker and significantly stiffer than the original
c) it comes in 5 x shorter sections so will fit in the frame bag more easily
d) there's no plastic ferrule to lose.

Happy days. Looking forward to better erections !
Boab

Post by Boab »

Front tyre, spare inner tube (hopefully no holes), and some tubeless valves that match the colour of the rims...

Edit: Another one's just been with these...
Last edited by Boab on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

So my bargain Alpkit haul has arrived:
- EZ sit mat, bit more cush than my original sit pad. :-bd
- Blips. Impressed apart from the fact that I'd thought the led tab on my Montane rucksack was thicker, so a blip won't fit :oops:
- midge headnet. Good, but rather than netting all round, has a round piece of polyester at the top where it sits on your head. In the summer this'll just made a relative baldy like me sweat, so maybe a slightly flawed design :|
- Bruler meths stove. Looks good. Still have to get some meths and a small travel bottle, but my trusty Ti pot (550ml?) looks to be too small to sit nicely on the inner arm supports of the windshield.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Vaude bag arrived and fits perfect :-bd Great solution to the narrow bars, just need to work on a light solution now
Attachments
4FFFE796-6094-4F03-8AC8-08B117A7C98E.jpeg
4FFFE796-6094-4F03-8AC8-08B117A7C98E.jpeg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:24 pm Vaude bag arrived and fits perfect :-bd Great solution to the narrow bars, just need to work on a light solution now
I have used a minoura space grip extender. Thingy .for similar. Bar bag setup.
Some one else made a 'lamp post' or carbon tube extension for [insert pronoun of choice or just their] bars.
May be it was pistonbroke ?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hopefully the last and final 1p tent I'll ever need/buy. A DD :-bd
Legend has it (well Durston mentions in Shewies forum) that it can take a 120cm pole nicely so my carefully 'hanging on to' Bearbones poles might not go to sale :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes Shaf - 120cm is the correct length. When I make X-Mid poles, I shorten the alloy tips to prevent them from coming into contact with the material. You could slip some rubber tube over the ends too ... leave it 5mm proud and slit what's overhanging so it can splay out under pressure.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Ace. Thanks for that advice Stu. Mught be in touch for another pole once I've checked out the (messy) shed/outhouse.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:52 am
voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:24 pm Vaude bag arrived and fits perfect :-bd Great solution to the narrow bars, just need to work on a light solution now
I have used a minoura space grip extender. Thingy .for similar. Bar bag setup.
Some one else made a 'lamp post' or carbon tube extension for [insert pronoun of choice or just their] bars.
May be it was pistonbroke ?
Good thinking, after many hours searching the garage, I found an old one I had :-bd Not sure about the light being upside down though. Did see a fork mount on eBay, so may get one of those
Attachments
F2D2E04F-EBCC-45B9-8816-EC0EB5EA8B88.jpeg
F2D2E04F-EBCC-45B9-8816-EC0EB5EA8B88.jpeg (125.43 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Is that not gonna catch your knee when "sprinting" (Ok - cycling when standing up).
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:52 pm Is that not gonna catch your knee when "sprinting" (Ok - cycling when standing up).
Never thought of that! Wasn’t keen on the light being upside down either but thought needs must, that fork mount is looking more appealing
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Is it an exposure light? They mount either way up, that's why the display rotates when you turn them over. You've reminded me I haven't charged mine for the weeks commutes, better pop to the shed quicky and get it :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:26 pm Is it an exposure light? They mount either way up, that's why the display rotates when you turn them over. You've reminded me I haven't charged mine for the weeks commutes, better pop to the shed quicky and get it :roll:
Never realised the display flipped! Good to know they can be mounted either way. Anyways, fork mount purchased from eBay as had some spare nectar points!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304317768364
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

...with a 8l Acepac dry bag from Jimmy. Brilliant.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

....with a rather nice olive green plaid shirt ( I know, I know) from Leisure Lakes Bikes. Not bad for £25 https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/cloth ... en__362247
redefined_cycles

woodsmith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:23 am ....with a rather nice olive green plaid shirt ( I know, I know) from Leisure Lakes Bikes. Not bad for £25 https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/cloth ... en__362247
Dude... That is so rad. Does it come with a long travel/DH bike... :grin:
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:26 pm Is it an exposure light? They mount either way up, that's why the display rotates when you turn them over. You've reminded me I haven't charged mine for the weeks commutes, better pop to the shed quicky and get it :roll:
I usually mount mine upside down on the front of the Jones bars .. works perfectly...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:23 am
woodsmith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:23 am ....with a rather nice olive green plaid shirt ( I know, I know) from Leisure Lakes Bikes. Not bad for £25 https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/cloth ... en__362247
No, but I have been forced to give up my Coop Fair Trade instant and become a total coffee snob. :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A load of stuff which is effectively late Xmas pressies to myself. In an attempt to drop weight&bulk from packrafting trips (no thanks to John C waving it in front of me); Anfibio paddle, inflatable PFD and an airsail (the latter is an utter punt) and then a slightly breath-takingly expensive Exped pack.

Better get my arse out now :lol:
redefined_cycles

woodsmith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:21 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:23 am
No, but I have been forced to give up my Coop Fair Trade instant and become a total coffee snob. :lol:
Can I suggest something about coffee please Sam. My mate (forgotten his name... that's not good... lemme think) Donald Whyte (not really spelt like that but makes him sound more DH-ee) has opened a coffee roasters or whatnot just so he can support orphans in various needy parts of the world..

Proper cheap too. If you mention my name at your first order you might get some discount (or you might not... worth a try). I've got the subscription of 500g surprise world coffee at £15... roasted the week before posting or something.

https://mrmipster.com/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

a slightly breath-takingly expensive Exped pack.
Is it a Serag Tim?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:30 am
a slightly breath-takingly expensive Exped pack.
Is it a Serag Tim?
It's a Thunder 50 Stu. IIRC they are discontinued or at least very few in UK. Ended up chancing a European supplier (Backpacking United?). They were OK on price but had a minimum order value, plus Brexit taxes etc etc. It's not stupid expensive like some of the DCF / ultra-light packs but I'm on honorary Yorkshireman :wink:

I got it because it *looks* like it has a bunch of features which should work well for carrying a raft and bivi gear. Time will tell.

Edit - this:

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Little piece of aluminium to mount my light to the fork. Tried making one but failed
Attachments
2B3BF8FE-025A-4DE4-9057-A63B99734713.jpeg
2B3BF8FE-025A-4DE4-9057-A63B99734713.jpeg (148.67 KiB) Viewed 1447 times