SRAM and Shimano grx compatibility

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

SRAM and Shimano grx compatibility

Post by Retiredtester »

I'm trying to upgrade my weary gravel bike from existing SRAM 1x11 to 2x11 to make it a bit more suitable for the longer (up to 1200k) audax road rides I have planned. I'd considered staying pretty much as is (10-42 cassette) and sticking a 42 or 44 chainring on the front, but changing to one of the new Shimano doubles (46 30) and an 11-34 cassette would give me a slightly wider range and smaller jumps between gears.

As ever, I'm on a budget, but it looks like I could stretch to a new left hand shifter and cassette, the cheaper of the two grx chainsets and a front mech. The problem I have is that it looks as though the chainrings on the grx are fitted slightly further (2.5mm) outboard then conventional, which means a SRAM front mech will apparently struggle. Likewise, SRAM shifters aren't supposed to play very nicely with Shimano front mechs (slightly different pull ratios)....

So my question is, have any of you tried mixing and matching like this and how disastrous have the results been? Should I just stick with the 1x11 setup? Thanks in advance!
HUX

Re: SRAM and Shimano grx compatibility

Post by HUX »

I have a Sonder Camino Ti with Sram Rival 2x11 shifters, Rival front and rear long cage mech, Sram 1170 36T cassette and Shimano GRX 46-30 chainset. Works with no issues.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I use a long cage 10 speed SRAM MTB mech on my double set up. Gives a bigger range.I have a 42 rear and a 50/34 ( I think).
It will just work in all gears but I don't advise big big or small small
Might have a spare double SRAM crank if interested
Not that helpful for you but MTB mechs give more options
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks both, that's very encouraging. What shifters are you using with the 10 speed SRAM MTB rear mech Lazarus? I've already got a long cage rival rear mech - would a SRAM MTB rear allow me to use a wider range cassette? And presumably a 10 speed can only be used with 10 speed brifters?
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Btw, I am so grateful for this forum - time and again I've tried a fruitless Google and come back here to get the answer I needed! I should probably cut out the middle man.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

What shifters are you using with the 10 speed SRAM MTB rear mech Lazarus?
Sram Rival 11 speed hydraulic 2 x 11 [ and an ultegra front mech ! Does rub in big big - enough to annoy not enough its unworkable ]

Pull rate is the same a 10 speed MTB hence you can fit and then deal with bigger teeth gaps [long cage rival mech won work with a 42 cassette but seem to recall it was ok with 36 [ dont hold me to that as not at all certain as to what size it did manage s a double ] NB i have a tiny ring and massive ring though, so big steps as a flat commute and hilly if i head west]
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

HUX wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:59 am I have a Sonder Camino Ti with Sram Rival 2x11 shifters, Rival front and rear long cage mech, Sram 1170 36T cassette and Shimano GRX 46-30 chainset. Works with no issues.
@Hux, are you using a clutched rival rear mech (ie originally from a 1x11 set up) or a dedicated 2x11 mech? Everything I've read says the clutched rival mech I've already got won't work with a 2x set up, but I can't understand why it wouldn't. I'm nearly at the point where I can try it out, but just interested to know your experiences.

If it's a no, I'll try and pick up a 10 speed SRAM MTB mech, as @Lazarus suggested. Something like this? https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-x5-10-spe ... derailleur
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I use a GX which is a clutch so no idea why they say (rival) clutch won't work. I did try the rival but it could not cope with the tooth difference ( cannot recall if i rode it or just tested it when built).but was using a 42 cassette.
Also used an XOmech ( non clutch) and as long as it's exact actuation it will work with the shifters so that mech would work . Both were long cages and needed longer B screws
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks Lazarus. Just managed to score a used gx clutched 10 speed long cage rear mech for much cheapness on eBay and one of those reduced 11-42 Microshift cassettes from wiggle. Now I've just got to build an old xt hub and an xt dynohub into a shiny new pair of 700c wtb Kom rims and I'll hopefully be getting somewhere... Pretty sure it would have been cheaper and definitely less hassle to just buy a new bike!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You probably wont need a longer B screw if its not a 42 cassette
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

It's a 42 I've ordered. Is the b screw just long M3 bolt?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

its a 3 mm allen key which I think makes it M4 - i have a local nuts shop I just take bolts to and say one of those but longer please- I can get you one tomorrow if you want as passing - I reckon 10 P + postage for it.

Mine is 30 mm total length - longer wont matter but shorter will - but I also use a nylock nut to help it engage with the whatever that thing is called on the mech bolt. It did slip without this - may be my frame or the mech as the Mech bolt on mine is a tad loose - never had this issue with the X0 mech.

I should say I have bent the bolt once [ no idea how or why tbh] and had to replace it but I have used this mech for over 2000 miles without issue and when bent all that happened is it would not engage with the largest rear cog - I do carry a spare on the bike just in case.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks very much, that'd be amazing. Could you grab me 3 plus nylocs please if that's not taking the Mickey? And too long is fine - I'm happy to trim them and then round them off with a grinder.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I literally cycle past it to the trails so no problem
DM address details etc
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:29 pm I literally cycle past it to the trails so no problem
DM address details etc
Done 👍. Many thanks!