Custom Framebag Supplier?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

yourguitarhero

Custom Framebag Supplier?

Post by yourguitarhero »

Looking to get a couple of custom full frame bags made up.
Who is good? I'm in the Scottish central belt so would be easy to go to Straight Cut Designs who seem to have a good if ... pricey... rep. Or is that just par for the course?
redefined_cycles

Re: Custom Framebag Supplier?

Post by redefined_cycles »

If I was you I'd go with Custom Merit Gear. Had mine made and absolutely love it. What's more is the amount of time the brothers give you to help you develop what you want without any extra costs (noy that it's too cheap but I'd say is well sturdy). Jon Climber also has some good reports for em... I think google has a fair few reviews now, one of which is mine which I only did after about a year of ownership.

Word of info: I had mine made during Covid so maybe now the attention to each customer might be different!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I got a custom Straight Cut on my Cutthroat. Fits perfectly and Ross kindly sewed all my patches on the bag for me when putting it together.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I had a frame bag made up from Wee cog based in Peebles.
Great service and really good value so worth giving them a shout.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've had beerbabe and restrap both very good but very different, depends on your requirements
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've a couple of beerbabe bags, and both are holding up well
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

robbie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm I had a frame bag made up from Wee cog based in Peebles.
Great service and really good value so worth giving them a shout.
Are they still going? Website is down and nothing online since 2021 on Twitter etc
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I used bike-bag.co.uk. I ended up with an excellent cordura full frame bag with loads of tweaks and personalisations and it came out at just over 100 quid all in.
rivers

Post by rivers »

Retiredtester wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:45 am I used bike-bag.co.uk. I ended up with an excellent cordura full frame bag with loads of tweaks and personalisations and it came out at just over 100 quid all in.
I also used bike-bag.co.uk.
As above, excellent full frame bag, quick turn around and mine came in around £60 (but I didn't add many features or go for personalisations).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Probably no help at all but, I've got (in no particular order) frame bags from ...

Wildcat
Alpkit
Custom Merit Gear

I'd say that they're all fine and do what you'd expect them to. The AK bag is more basic feeling and the fit isn't quite as good as the other two. The Wildcat and CMG bags are similar in both fit and quality and I'm pretty sure would last a lifetime without suffering too much. I don't actually know whether Wildcat are still producing custom frame bags but worth finding out. There's an obvious difference in price between the AK and others but I think it's very much a case of 'getting what you pay for' and whether the bike in question is a keeper or not.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Wizard works do custom frame bags at the mo - spendy but quality is top notch
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

whether the bike in question is a keeper or not
Yes I bought ALPKIT as it's gets about 4 outings a year so basic is fine.
I also have a half frame ALPKIT permanently on my moat used bike and it's aged well over the years of use with no obvious issues yet
FLV

Post by FLV »

Straight cut have been good, but double the price of my restrap which has also been great for many miles
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Having had a look over them, I'm likely to go at the more budget end of the range.
The bike-bags ones look ok apart from the horrible big logo. Is the a non-negotiable requirement?
Otherwise an Alpkit one would do me fine I'd say. Their other stuff I've had has done me well in the past.
I couldn't deal with the big logo on a bike-bag one though, not a logo person!
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Mine has the logo (literally) writ large, but I'm sure it's negotiable. The person at the other end was very keen to get it right, so I can't imagine they'd insist on it
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 pm If I was you I'd go with Custom Merit Gear. Had mine made and absolutely love it.
I can echo that. I got a custom frame bag made up last year. The guys added an extra opening at the rear of the top tube for me, so I can feed my dynamo connection back to my rear blinkies. I'm very happy with the product and expect I will be going back for a top tube bag soon.
rivers

Post by rivers »

yourguitarhero wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:43 am Having had a look over them, I'm likely to go at the more budget end of the range.
The bike-bags ones look ok apart from the horrible big logo. Is the a non-negotiable requirement?
Otherwise an Alpkit one would do me fine I'd say. Their other stuff I've had has done me well in the past.
I couldn't deal with the big logo on a bike-bag one though, not a logo person!
Email them and ask. I know you can get custom embroidery, so I imagine can get no embroidery if that's what you want.