Threads per inch

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

Threads per inch

Post by frogatthefarriers »

WRT last May I managed to get a hole in my fatbike tyre that Stans wouldn't fill.

It's a Bontrager Hodag 26x3.8 that came with the bike when I bought it (back in 2014). It's stood in the shed unused since May, but now it's time to get a new one. Trouble is, I can't find one - in fact, I can only find one 26x3.8 - Surly Nate that comes in 60 or 120tpi versions. There's £15 between them.

My question is - is it worth the extra for extra tpi?

There are lots of 26" fattys out there but only in 4" width or above. Now when I have lowest gear selected (with the Bonties) there's only about a quarter of an inch between chain and tyre wall. A fatter tyre may eat this gap up.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ScotRoutes

Re: Threads per inch

Post by ScotRoutes »

(a) The 120tpi Nate is a much more supple beast than the 60tpi equivalent. I'd not hesitate to pay the extra cost.

(b) The 26 x 4" tyres may well be on the same carcase as the Nate and will actually be the same dimensions. Difficult to say without actually measuring one though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I got a good deal on a pair of Jumbo Jims recently from Merlin, for a mate, that whilst stated as 4.4 are about 4" and pretty much the same size as a Nate. Might be a wee bit closer to the chain but should be fine.

PS holes like that are repairable - superglue a bit of tyre on the inside of it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Nate’s in the 60threads aren’t that nice, ridiculously heavy. In fact, I think they put me off riding my fat bike due to their weight. If I remember correctly from years ago, there is about 400-500g difference between the two versions
frogatthefarriers

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:48 pm (a) The 120tpi Nate is a much more supple beast than the 60tpi equivalent. I'd not hesitate to pay the extra cost.
A good answer. I think I’ll go with that.
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:48 pm (b) The 26 x 4" tyres may well be on the same carcase as the Nate and will actually be the same dimensions.
This may well be true, but I don’t want to risk it not being so. It could backfire anyway - who's to say the Nate’s aren't wider than the Bonties.
fatbikephil wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:12 pm PS holes like that are repairable - superglue a bit of tyre on the inside of it.
This too is true, but they're 6 years old and the tread has taken a beating by my grandson who used it for six months - you know what kids are like. They think it's cool to skid the back wheel….
frogatthefarriers

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 pm Nate’s in the 60threads aren’t that nice, ridiculously heavy. …… there is about 400-500g difference between the two versions

500 grammes. :shock: That’s lot of extra inertia to get moving.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:09 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 pm Nate’s in the 60threads aren’t that nice, ridiculously heavy. …… there is about 400-500g difference between the two versions

500 grammes. :shock: That’s lot of extra inertia to get moving.
Ok, I’ve just done a fact check and it looks like it’s 1350g to 1455g.
I swear when I bought them they used to quote more like 1850g for the 60 version. Hmmm!

Edit for clarity - it appears that the 27tpi version is quoted at 1730g, hence why I thought the difference is bigger. So, scrap all the above as it appears I’m running the 27tpi tyre
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:02 pm
This too is true, but they're 6 years old and the tread has taken a beating by my grandson who used it for six months - you know what kids are like. They think it's cool to skid the back wheel….
A mate once said that a skid on a fat bike tyre cost £5....