Jellied Eel's Alternative

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Jellied Eel's Alternative

Post by dlovett »

I have had from new Sonder Jellied Eels grip tape on my Camino and it's been the most comfy tape I have ever used. Alpkit has discontinued it now and I'm on the hunt for a replacement as mine is rapidly coming to the end if it's useful life. I had a look at some fancy ones in the LBS, but they were a bit vello like and cost a small fortune.

Any recommendations for something that is black/very dark grey, comfy and grippy for urban commuting, won't cripple my hands on a multi-day/bad weather ITT and doesn't cost as much as a new bike.

TIA

d
pistonbroke

Re: Jellied Eel's Alternative

Post by pistonbroke »

I really like Lizard skin 2.5 or 3.2mm, full retail is stupid but some deals can be had for uncommon colours, I got brown for less than £20 last year but unhelpfully can't remember where. What about double taping the main pressure points with offcuts if comfort is important.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:37 pm I really like Lizard skin 2.5 or 3.2mm, full retail is stupid but some deals can be had for uncommon colours, I got brown for less than £20 last year but unhelpfully can't remember where. What about double taping the main pressure points with offcuts if comfort is important.
Ta, It has a silly name like the current and it's on sale currently!!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

https://www.pushys.com.au/pro-sport-con ... white.html

This. Not sure if discontinued now as there's a gravel named one too... done 230 miles stint on it - a ride I've been doing yearly since 2018ish - and I never really had to think of my hands this time round. Was worried it wouldn't last but over a year in now and it's still ace...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:58 pm https://www.pushys.com.au/pro-sport-con ... white.html

This. Not sure if discontinued now as there's a gravel named one too... done 230 miles stint on it - a ride I've been doing yearly since 2018ish - and I never really had to think of my hands this time round. Was worried it wouldn't last but over a year in now and it's still ace...
Cheers I'll check that one out as well. Don't need to get it in a real hurry, it's 3+ weeks before my mcl will let me ride a proper bike again
Boab

Post by Boab »

I use Lizard Skins DSP V2 3.2mm, as has previously been mentioned. Once you get over the price, it's pretty good stuff. I try and buy it in the sales when the cost is slightly more palatable.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Boab wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:07 pm I use Lizard Skins DSP V2 3.2mm, as has previously been mentioned. Once you get over the price, it's pretty good stuff. I try and buy it in the sales when the cost is slightly more palatable.
Just fitted this to the CDf .... only done 20miles on it so too soon to comment. Paid £20 ish for red.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Or just double wrap any grip tape??

I just use ITM or PlanetX stuff on my road bike, for the Tour Divide I used Ergon grips and standard bar tape on the aero bars.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Just fitted this to the CDf .... only done 20miles on it so too soon to comment. Paid £20 ish for red.
Can I ask where you got it as that seems to be a very good price.