Mystery Garmin Maps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Mystery Garmin Maps

Post by dlovett »

Hello,

I thought it was time to update the maps on my Garmins as I've not done it for about two years. On Basecamp and my Edge I have a Map called "UK Bikepack V1" which is the best by far in terms of layout and content. It's the one I have used on the Edge for pretty much all major rides. I'm hoping that there might be a newer v2/3/4/5 etc version of it, but I cannot remember where I got it from. A search of the internet hasn't helped. Does anybody here have it and are you able to provide me with any info on who actually made it so I can see if there is a newer version?

If not does anybody know how to convert it from a map in basecamp, to a file that could go on to a fenix? I'd like to run the same map on desktop computer, bike computer and watch.

Otherwise any other suggestions for the next best map? I have all the usual OSM ones etc, screen shot attached.

Many thanks
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 11.14.56.png
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 11.14.56.png (185.04 KiB) Viewed 937 times
ScotRoutes

Re: Mystery Garmin Maps

Post by ScotRoutes »

You've come to the right place :lol:

Calling Mr Barter to the forum!!!

FWIW I've tended to use the OFM versions but they only update the UK map from OSM once a year (usually around March/April) so I've ended up using Komoot a lot more. Edits I make to OSM usually appear in Komoot within a fortnight and often sooner.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:19 pm You've come to the right place :lol:

Calling Mr Barter to the forum!!!

FWIW I've tended to use the OFM versions but they only update the UK map from OSM once a year (usually around March/April) so I've ended up using Komoot a lot more. Edits I make to OSM usually appear in Komoot within a fortnight and often sooner.
I've normally got Komoot maps cached on the phone, but I didn't realise they updated them so quickly. I want to standardise as much as possible and tend to run the edge 1000 on data screen swapping to map screen with path set to show and HR monitor for recording my track etc. Every so often I'd have a quick look on the phone using komoot set to navigate the path on a more zoomed out level. These two get the onboard power swapped between them. Since the pandemic and my last lot of long rides, I have got a Fenix which I tend to use all the time for sports now. I've not tried navigating with it yet, but see it can do the same as the edge, constantly show the path on the map screen. Ideally this would be just running as a backup nav and recording device incase the edge does a wobbly. It might work better to have the Fenix on short range map zoom, the edge on medium map zoom and Komoot on a larger map zoom. It would be nice for both Garmin devices to have the same
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

These are the differences between the main three maps I have and you can see why the UK Bikepack V1 is much better.

Most of you will recognize the area I'm sure.
UK BikepackV1.png
UK BikepackV1.png (902.16 KiB) Viewed 926 times
UK Bikepack V1
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

UK & Ireland Openfietsmap Lite
UK & Ireland Openfietsmap Lite.png
UK & Ireland Openfietsmap Lite.png (377.8 KiB) Viewed 926 times
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

OSM Generic Routable
OSM Generic ROutable.png
OSM Generic ROutable.png (1020.81 KiB) Viewed 926 times
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m on the road right now. I need to update the UK Bikepack map so will consider my arse kicked into gear
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:57 pm I’m on the road right now. I need to update the UK Bikepack map so will consider my arse kicked into gear
vaguely exciting News thank you Sir!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Something weird is going on with my post I said a w e s o m e news but it's being changed to vaguely exciting news.
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 14.22.15.png
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 14.22.15.png (54.79 KiB) Viewed 897 times
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Wow - the v1 version looks amazing next to the basemaps that came with my edge 830!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

dlovett wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:24 pm Something weird is going on with my post I said a w e s o m e news but it's being changed to vaguely exciting news.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 14.22.15.png
Just wait until you try to tell us about your a wesome new R apha bar bag on your bikepacking R ig. :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Something weird is going on
Autocorrected like other words including
M i c r o adventure becomes ( I have written in properly )
short ride
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

dlovett wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:24 pm Something weird is going on with my post I said a w e s o m e news but it's being changed to vaguely exciting news.
Stu's humour from playing with the swear filter :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry