Shocking advice!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Shocking advice!

Post by summittoppler »

Whilst browsing the FB sniffle, I came across Cycling UK's post from today.
It read:
ImageScreenshot_20230119_192925_Facebook by Jeff Price, on Flickr

So I thought I'd have a read but first look at the few comments that Jo public had posted...
To my surprise this chap posted this:
ImageScreenshot_20230119_193312_Facebook by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Obviously I replied, but how can someone think that's good advice?

Feel free to have a look at the post:
https://www.facebook.com/CyclingUK
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearlegged

Re: Shocking advice!

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm more interested in the localised forcefield that's kept the snow off the bivvy bag.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:06 pm I'm more interested in the localised forcefield that's kept the snow off the bivvy bag.
:lol: :lol:
Aye, there's a lot of product placement going on there!

Instagram:

YouTube:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Why isn't it good advice out of interest

Given that a. They are extremely unlikely to start leaking in-between it going in your bag and you waking up

And b. Well I don't have a b. I just really can't see the issue, but ive slept with an automatic rifle tied to my wrist before and had a kero heater in my armoured vehicle so perhaps I'm a bit of a risk taker whilst sleeping lol
Last edited by firestarter on Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verena

Post by Verena »

firestarter wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17 pm Why isn't it good advice out of interest
Thanks, I was too scared to ask....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Well, 50 years of camping and I've never encountered a leaky gas cartridge.

Or maybe it's just that I like living on the edge! :lol: :lol: :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Verena wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:21 pm
firestarter wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17 pm Why isn't it good advice out of interest
Thanks, I was too scared to ask....
If you roll onto it in the night you could do yourself a nasty injury. :grin:
If it's cold I tend to shove mine in the bag when I wake up and lie there for a bit whilst it warms up. I also do the same with my bottle of meths.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

.....OK, so have I ben doing it wrong all this time? Should I really sleep with a cannister of gas in my bag?! WTF?!!

Instagram:

YouTube:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

summittoppler wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:34 pm .....OK, so have I ben doing it wrong all this time? Should I really sleep with a cannister of gas in my bag?! WTF?!!
Tbf yeah you should it burns better and I really don't see the issue, but each to their own some people treat risk differently
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I thought it was more from the POV that the cold from the bag would make the user/bivy-er cold. Never actually considered a leaking gas cartridge :???:

A warmer cartridge would burn alot more efficiently in the morn though (and, for calcification, I do hate Alpshit and Marmite) so that's my conflict of interest out the way :smile:

Sorry...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Woah, where's the Marmite hate come from?
redefined_cycles

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:04 am Woah, where's the Marmite hate come from?
Sorry about that. To be fair I always thought you're either supposed to love or hate it. Maybe I've never tasted it often enough. At least I wasn't derogatory about it :lol:

I should patent the Alpshit brand... :grin:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I thought keeping various bits of temperature sensitive gear warm in your pit was standard practice w.g. batteries, fuel etc. I mean, there's only so much room but .....
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Could maybe take 2 gas canisters with you, put one in bed with you to keep it warm and then use this one with your stove to warm the cold one up in the morning. Bingo sorted :lol:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
redefined_cycles

:lol:
Leerowe76 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:01 am Could maybe take 2 gas canisters with you, put one in bed with you to keep it warm and then use this one with your stove to warm the cold one up in the morning. Bingo sorted :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yeah, I really don't see the problem with this either. Chance of it leaking seems infinitesimally small.

I've done it myself, though more often it just goes in the bag for a bit to warm up in the morning because I've forgotten.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The risk isn't keeping a *canister* in your bag but one with a stove attached and the stove might be accidentally turned on or the connection between stove and canister leaks (more likely with the old style Bleuet canisters where the canister is punctured rather than a screw on connection)

As for Marmite - horrible stuff! Should be placed in a nuclear waste storage facility and left there for eternity :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Well I'm quite shocked at how common this seems to be. I'll stick to my way though!

Instagram:

YouTube:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'm more worried about my meths leaking than a canister of gas. I thought it was common practise in the cold, along with batteries/things with batteries.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I hedge my bets and stick mine in someone else's bag :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

The risk isn't keeping a *canister* in your bag but one with a stove attached
No-one's that daft surely :grin: I mean, even you were just the spiky metal bits should put you off sleeping next to it.
(edit, I suppose you might reasonably keep it there an hour or so while in a bivi but not sleeping overnight)
Last edited by jameso on Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:25 pm
If it's cold I tend to shove mine in the bag when I wake up and lie there for a bit whilst it warms up. I also do the same with my bottle of meths.
^^ This ^^

Although I use a 1oz flat bottle for meths and keep it in a chest pocket overnight
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My campervan has a gas stove. I don't take the canister out at night (the wee cubbyhole it's kept in does have a floor vent though).
redefined_cycles

I've looked and can't really find anywhere stating that there's a real risk of (an unattached) gas canister being kept warm indoors temporarily. One mention I have found is on the Scouts site which just states about the carbon monoxide thing (ie. gas not burnt properly causing carbon monoxide).

Otherwise it (also) states about gas (it discusses propane and butane but after finding the MSR has another manufacturer that's even better, I just use that all year round) not being as efficient in super low temps.

https://www.scouts.org.uk/volunteers/st ... afely/gas/

Hopefully we can get some more clarification on this, as to whether it actually is or isn't safe (leaks?) being stored inside the bag (there's no spark so it's not gonna suddenly become 'lit'). I imagine anyone storijg it inside their bag would want to use a high quality canister that doesn't have as much leakage risks associated :???:

The one suggested to me for winter by the (indy) outdoor shop was Jetboil canisters. Which are a blend of Isobutane/Propane, manufactured in Manchester by GoGas/Johnson Outdoor Gear. Reason I included the full blurb/info is that I've found em to be more efficient than the MSR they've replaced and (obviously) significantly better and longer lasting than the cheap Colemans canisters.

Looking forward to some more science on the subject (please).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

jameso wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:11 am
The risk isn't keeping a *canister* in your bag but one with a stove attached
No-one's that daft surely :grin: I mean, even you were just the spiky metal bits should put you off sleeping next to it.
(edit, I suppose you might reasonably keep it there an hour or so while in a bivi but not sleeping overnight)
James: never underestimate the stupidity of the general public!

Screw on style canisters have a spring loaded “ball” that seals them, it’s what gives the resistance when you screw the burner on. There’s also the pressure of the gas pushing against it. While it’s possible to force it open using something like a nail it’s quite hard to do.

Body heat is going to have little impact on the internal pressure - 37C is a common temperature in many places- the recommended temp range is up to 50C or so and there’ll be a good margin of error in that.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry